• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manhattan Projects

1,044 posts in this topic

As mysterio pointed out, the prices have gone up for this round. I'm not surprised...when I started buying MP art a couple of months ago, most of the pages from #1 and #2 were gone, but there was still a good selection from #3-#5. Then, it seemed like overnight, the pages went. It felt like everyone else discovered the OA at the same moment. Around that time the 9.8s took a big jump as well.

I think potential buyers will have to adjust to the new pricing. Once they do, they'll probably sell at a decent clip like last time. As it is, an SS #1 sold for $350, more than what the vast majority of the pages are priced...I think a page of OA is still a better buy. Also, the entire #9 issue sold, so the supply is that much more limited for now.

I'll post a page I got shortly.

Personally, I find Nick's art and the subject matter to be a really unique and interesting body of work -- it may end up being worth about the same or less in the future but looking at my MP pages always brings a smile to my face. I completely agree with the post above -- if you enjoy the series, grabbing a page of OA seems a lot better than collecting slabs and it supports the artist directly (for the most part).

It seems to me that Pitarra is on the verge of becoming one of the better iconic artists of the modern comics era. His stuff has real character to it, and I think he is thisclose to being widely recognized and admired in the same way as Darrow or Quitely.

I don't have any of his stuff yet, am still waiting for just that right page...

He definitely was influenced heavily by Darrow and Quitely. But his own style has started to emerge, especially with this series. Check out the OA from the early issues to the most recent ones...there's an evolution that can be seen even within this short time.

From an OA collecting standpoint, everything is on the board, pencils and inks, which is becoming a rarity these days.

Here's a page I got from #8, because the gag cracks me up:

MANHATTANPROJECTS8p16.jpg

He definitely was influenced heavily by Darrow and Quitely. But his own style has started to emerge, especially with this series. Check out the OA from the early issues to the most recent ones...there's an evolution that can be seen even within this short time.

From an OA collecting standpoint, everything is on the board, pencils and inks, which is becoming a rarity these days.

That page is awesome

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=971625

hard to beat this page, IMO. (thumbs u

(but I shall try)

Edited by mattbird

As mysterio pointed out, the prices have gone up for this round. I'm not surprised...when I started buying MP art a couple of months ago, most of the pages from #1 and #2 were gone, but there was still a good selection from #3-#5. Then, it seemed like overnight, the pages went. It felt like everyone else discovered the OA at the same moment. Around that time the 9.8s took a big jump as well.

I think potential buyers will have to adjust to the new pricing. Once they do, they'll probably sell at a decent clip like last time. As it is, an SS #1 sold for $350, more than what the vast majority of the pages are priced...I think a page of OA is still a better buy. Also, the entire #9 issue sold, so the supply is that much more limited for now.

I'll post a page I got shortly.

I should add that I definitely don't think the price hike was unjustified. His work is fantastic and if anything I thought the initial pages offered were underpriced. I bought mine directly from Pitarra at WW Austin and thought the price was way more than reasonable, if anything it was a bargain for me. I went back and forth about getting a page, but am really glad I finally relented and picked one up. I'd be kicking myself otherwise.

I agree...even with the hike, the pages are still reasonably priced. When a #1 9.8 went for $250 on eBay, there was STILL a good page from #1 on Cadence for $175. I think it was at that point when the pages started getting snapped up.

On another note...I've enjoyed seeing all the covers posted together. They're striking individually, but really fantastic looking as a group. I like the later prints as well.

I am especially grateful, though, that there isn't any of the variant nonsense going on with this title. I understand the marketing rationale, I understand why collectors want them...just glad it hasn't happened here.

I am especially grateful, though, that there isn't any of the variant nonsense going on with this title. I understand the marketing rationale, I understand why collectors want them...just glad it hasn't happened here.

+1. The Nowhere Men thread is a perfect example of how variants and speculation can ruin people's appreciation of a book. It's long term effect on the hobby is distinctly negative.

Anyone that lets a variant affect their thoughts of the actual story is very silly. Image still only makes, what, 1% of the variants that Marvel or DC put out?

On another note I got 2 nice pages before the price hike

Will post when received

Edited by wushugushu