• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do people deslab CGC graded books?

98 posts in this topic

I have nearly 12,000 raw comics and 3 slabs. The three slabs I purchased as I could not find the books raw. Oh and I have deslabbed many books including Daredevil 1 and ASM 50 - why... As many have mentioned above to read the story in its ORIGINAL state :cloud9:, not a reprint (even though I have many TB of my favourite story arcs) :shy:

If 99.9% of you collection is raw it makes sense to me to de-slab

*You can put the comic into Archival quality Mylar for long-term storage

*You get to keep the collection together.

and most importantly you can actually read and (hopefully) enjoy the comic as the publisher originally intended.

If you are thinking of selling the comic at some point it probably makes sense to keep any CGC books slabbed. 2c

I tried searching and couldn't find anything on this so I apologize if it's been asked before.

Over the past few months I've seen a number of comics in the sales forums that have been deslabbed after being graded by CGC and I was wondering what the purpose of it is? I can understand someone deslabbing a CGC book if they want to press it or (or restore it if it's lower grade) and resubmit for a higher grade but it seems like quite a few people deslab the comic and then sell it raw, sometimes with the label.

Are people just taking it out of the slab to read it? With all the reader copies and digital files out there it doesn't make sense to me to break it out of a slab just to read it. Are there any other reasons why a seller would take it out of the CGC slab?

Any opinions are appreciated, please educate me. :makepoint: I can't see ever doing it myself after going to the trouble of having a book graded by CGC so I was wondering what other reasons you guys would have for taking a comic out after having it graded.

I'll answer your question with a question: Why do you collect comics?

:grin:

Some people prefer original comics over reprints (me)

Some people prefer handling high grade comics over low grade readers whenever possible (me)

Some people like the smell of the paper as opposed to the smell of a computer (me)

Some people like the analog real thing over a digital reprint (me)

Stuff like that.

Well put. I've always found reading and collecting comics to be a tactile experience as well as visual, but the olfactory is there too, as I notice when I pull out older comics.

Now, if I could just isolate the auditory experience...

Dont own any slabs but if i did, I know my OCD would worry that (for example) X-Men 51 was not in it's rightful place between 50 and 52 and instead was living in a box with magazines or other slabs

That would make me :cry:

I have problems with Annuals for the same reason. Cannot come to terms with the fact that an annual from 1964 sits directly behind this months issue in my nice white boxes.

I know it's a little :screwy: but there it is.

Dont own any slabs but if i did, I know my OCD would worry that (for example) X-Men 51 was not in it's rightful place between 50 and 52 and instead was living in a box with magazines or other slabs

That would make me :cry:

I have problems with Annuals for the same reason. Cannot come to terms with the fact that an annual from 1964 sits directly behind this months issue in my nice white boxes.

I know it's a little :screwy: but there it is.

No, perfectly normal. Everybody should reason like this. A place for everything and everything in its place. :cloud9:

Because there is nothing like reading an old comic. There is a feel, a smell, and an overall enjoyment of actually holding and going through your new gem. The story, the artwork, the ads. Unless it's a book in the 9.-'s, I can't see why a simple read or flip through would drop the grade. If it's for a permanent collection, I don't have a problem with it.

Your sig line is dreamy :cloud9:

Most of my collection is raw and if I see a slabbed copy at a great price I'll buy it for the collection. When I get it in, the OCD kicks in and crack - free from its enslavement to rest right at home with its sibblings. lol

This is why I've cracked slabs. I don't like mixing a raw collection with slabs. If my run is raw and I find a slab book...I'll crack it.

I have a number of slabs that I'd like to crack. Most are mid grade DC war that really have little business being in a slab to begin with. I'd like to read them. :)

:baiting: DO IT !!

Grow some stones and free those collectables.

Then you can start a collection of those numbers in the squares. :grin:

If I bought it because my ego needed stroking, and I wanted to keep

up with the other narcistic comic book collecting friends I have, it's still

in the slab. If I bought it dirtfkn cheap and could easily flip it to one of

my BSD comic book dealer friends for XXX times what I paid for it, it's

still in the slab. If it's a funny book that I've never read or it fills a loving

space in my collection, it goes in a poly bag and board, and into a long

box. WTF is up with mylars ?? I'm still not convinced, even after 40+

years of collecting that mylar is that much more of a protective and

preservative product than polyethelyne or polypropolyne. All are what

are termed in certain venues, food grade product, and if I can store a

ham sandwich in it, why couldn't I store a comic book in it.

Yeah, I know, I'm a dinosaur, but I still have books that were stored

in old school, 1970's polyethelyne bags, the thick cheap floopy ones

and the books are clean, crisp, and white after 35 years.

I tried searching and couldn't find anything on this so I apologize if it's been asked before.

Over the past few months I've seen a number of comics in the sales forums that have been deslabbed after being graded by CGC and I was wondering what the purpose of it is? I can understand someone deslabbing a CGC book if they want to press it or (or restore it if it's lower grade) and resubmit for a higher grade but it seems like quite a few people deslab the comic and then sell it raw, sometimes with the label.

Are people just taking it out of the slab to read it? With all the reader copies and digital files out there it doesn't make sense to me to break it out of a slab just to read it. Are there any other reasons why a seller would take it out of the CGC slab?

Any opinions are appreciated, please educate me. :makepoint: I can't see ever doing it myself after going to the trouble of having a book graded by CGC so I was wondering what other reasons you guys would have for taking a comic out after having it graded.

I'll answer your question with a question: Why do you collect comics?

:grin:

Some people prefer original comics over reprints (me)

Some people prefer handling high grade comics over low grade readers whenever possible (me)

Some people like the smell of the paper as opposed to the smell of a computer (me)

Some people like the analog real thing over a digital reprint (me)

Stuff like that.

Well put. I've always found reading and collecting comics to be a tactile experience as well as visual, but the olfactory is there too, as I notice when I pull out older comics.

Now, if I could just isolate the auditory experience...

Talk to Joey Post about that.

I have a number of slabs that I'd like to crack. Most are mid grade DC war that really have little business being in a slab to begin with. I'd like to read them. :)

If I bought it because my ego needed stroking, and I wanted to keep

up with the other narcistic comic book collecting friends I have, it's still

in the slab. If I bought it dirtfkn cheap and could easily flip it to one of

my BSD comic book dealer friends for XXX times what I paid for it, it's

still in the slab. If it's a funny book that I've never read or it fills a loving

space in my collection, it goes in a poly bag and board, and into a long

box. WTF is up with mylars ?? I'm still not convinced, even after 40+

years of collecting that mylar is that much more of a protective and

preservative product than polyethelyne or polypropolyne. All are what

are termed in certain venues, food grade product, and if I can store a

ham sandwich in it, why couldn't I store a comic book in it.

Yeah, I know, I'm a dinosaur, but I still have books that were stored

in old school, 1970's polyethelyne bags, the thick cheap floopy ones

and the books are clean, crisp, and white after 35 years.

In my collection, which has been carefully stored in a cool, dry, environment, I've found the old school comic bags from 35 years ago have yellowed, the books inside are like new. :banana:

This will be interesting - I've never fully understood the reasoning why either, although there are lots of members who crack slabs...

:popcorn:

Too true, Balls. Mine, for example, can do that.

:shy:

Yeah, I'll get around to it one of these decades. :P

long-term, the slab isn't the best storage option.

I'm going to guess there is a thread on this? Can anyone tell me how to research this more?

long-term, the slab isn't the best storage option.

I'm going to guess there is a thread on this? Can anyone tell me how to research this more?

There's not much to tell. It's fairly simple. I believe he's just talking about what some people call "SCS" or "shaken comic syndrome".

If you drop your book or shake it really hard you run the risk of having the edges of the comic getting bumped on the edges of the inner holder.

This has been a topic of discussion for years on here.

In the past Borock has said that if anyone had a better holder idea that CGC would pay for it.

As long as the books are handled under normal conditions there really isn't a problem.