• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Upcoming Heritage Auction

99 posts in this topic

Just listed on Heritage for May auction:

Action Comics #2 CGC 5.0 Billy Wright Pedigree!

same grade....and sold for double what I sold the 5.5 Rockford #2 for not too long ago doh!

This no longer exists as a 7.5 on the census.

There are now two 8.5's, where once there was one.

amazingmysteryfunnies.jpg

If its any consolation I would bid on it as a 8.5 same as a 7.5. Really just cost owner grading fees (and I assume pressing fees) doesn't make it worth anymore imo

If its any consolation I would bid on it as a 8.5 same as a 7.5. Really just cost owner grading fees (and I assume pressing fees) doesn't make it worth anymore imo

I think the same. It's a book either you want or you don't. How it got 8.5 with that lower right corner chip is another story.

The LUCKY people that bought billy books are gonna make a mint down the road, now it appears there will be making money within a matter of months, if you have a really valuable book over 10K it seems YOU HAVE TO PRESS it or you will not get the top grade and price possible in todays market. The grade is the grade Gator if it upticks, it is to the benefit of the smart buyer who saw the upgrade, and in some cases making the book worth thousands of dollars more and even in the tens of thousands in the case of the top billy books.

The question WAS "to press or not to press," it is Now WHEN to do it.

The LUCKY people that bought billy books are gonna make a mint down the road, now it appears there will be making money within a matter of months, if you have a really valuable book over 10K it seems YOU HAVE TO PRESS it or you will not get the top grade and price possible in todays market. The grade is the grade Gator if it upticks, it is to the benefit of the smart buyer who saw the upgrade, and in some cases making the book worth thousands of dollars more and even in the tens of thousands in the case of the top billy books.

The question WAS "to press or not to press," it is Now WHEN to do it.

To a centaur collector it doesn't matter if this book was a 6.5, 7.5 or 8.5 it would/will sell for virtually same money. Some books that are rare grade is far less relevant than just having a copy (thumbs u

I don't know why the 7.5 was removed but the Billy Wright copy is not the new 8.5.

what price difference do you see gator on the two big tec's that are coming back on Ha...they are not gonna sell for less.

Yeah, history shows a 10% reduction in value for pedigrees if the original data is in GPA. It will probably be more given the quick turnaround.

For instance, look at before & after scans of the Detective #18 (7.5, White pages; sorry, I don't have easy access to them for comparison at the moment).

Anyway, this was a book that I bid on and lost. Now re-listed, it didn't get a bump from having obviously been pressed, but the spine split at the bottom has visibly gotten worse. Oddly, it received the same grade, but eye appeal is markedly worse and it is very doubtful that I'll bid on this copy again! :cry:

It almost seems criminal that this was done to such a beautiful book, but the collectors, excuse me, speculators, who own these books apparently aren't concerned with the potential damage done since their sole motivation is profit. (shrug)

Excellent example David. It is unforgivable what they did to this book in an effort to squeeze a few more bucks out of it. But there will be poetic justice -- in it's newly damaged state, there's no way that book will reach the $20k + price it fetched the first time around. And on top of that, the seller will lose the seller's premium.

For instance, look at before & after scans of the Detective #18 (7.5, White pages; sorry, I don't have easy access to them for comparison at the moment).

Anyway, this was a book that I bid on and lost. Now re-listed, it didn't get a bump from having obviously been pressed, but the spine split at the bottom has visibly gotten worse. Oddly, it received the same grade, but eye appeal is markedly worse and it is very doubtful that I'll bid on this copy again! :cry:

It almost seems criminal that this was done to such a beautiful book, but the collectors, excuse me, speculators, who own these books apparently aren't concerned with the potential damage done since their sole motivation is profit. (shrug)

Excellent example David. It is unforgivable what they did to this book in an effort to squeeze a few more bucks out of it. But there will be poetic justice -- in it's newly damaged state, there's no way that book will reach the $20k + price it fetched the first time around. And on top of that, the seller will lose the seller's premium.

Is it common for the pressing process to damage books?

CentaurMan (Win) brought his copy to Chicago one year. It was the first Church copy of any book that I held in my bare hands. Left quite an impression, it did.

I don't know why the 7.5 was removed but the Billy Wright copy is not the new 8.5.

Let's not let facts get in the way of speculation here. :sumo:

what price difference do you see gator on the two big tec's that are coming back on Ha...they are not gonna sell for less.
the under bidder of the 29 bw copy was not willing to pay comparable money for my 7.0 (which has recently sold). Maybe he will pay more for it as a 7.5 or maybe a new buyer will need to enter the biddin otherwise hard to see it selling for more (shrug)

Just listed on Heritage for May auction:

Action Comics #2 CGC 5.0 Billy Wright Pedigree!

same grade....and sold for double what I sold the 5.5 Rockford #2 for not too long ago doh!

Another not sold.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7054&lotNo=91002

I wonder what happened with this?

Looks like it`s back up for auction and going for $35,000 plus.

Thanks for the clarification Steve.

I'm wondering how the flipper can expect to make a profit.

Why would the flipper consign them to consecutive auctions? There are also several non BW books with obvious histories available on the auction archives.

For instance I was interested in the Superman #26 9.4... But it is the very same book that was auctioned 2 months ago as a 9.2... (And it now overtakes my book as top census.) Surely the consumer will do the homework and see the history? I can't justify paying more for the new 9.4 and rewarding the flipper...

This is my recently surpassed #26. (Which has declined in value since the new 9.4 tops it now.) :frustrated: As a top census collector, this press and resub game is driving me crazy!

100_2927.jpg

if it's any consolation. your 9.2 is a better looking book than the re-certified 9.2

Thanks for the clarification Steve.

I'm wondering how the flipper can expect to make a profit.

Why would the flipper consign them to consecutive auctions? There are also several non BW books with obvious histories available on the auction archives.

For instance I was interested in the Superman #26 9.4... But it is the very same book that was auctioned 2 months ago as a 9.2... (And it now overtakes my book as top census.) Surely the consumer will do the homework and see the history? I can't justify paying more for the new 9.4 and rewarding the flipper...

This is my recently surpassed #26. (Which has declined in value since the new 9.4 tops it now.) :frustrated: As a top census collector, this press and resub game is driving me crazy!

100_2927.jpg

if it's any consolation. your 9.2 is a better looking book than the re-certified 9.2

+1