• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well, one Bats Rocky Mountain Pedigree bites the dust......

41 posts in this topic

In any case, the grade is not the issue here so I guess I'll just have to wait until Heritage responds back.

Just an FYI, about a month or so ago I received a book from Heritage from the Sunday weekly auctions that had an issue with the slab itself. I was told, in no uncertain terms, that

they would NOT do anything about the slab. They feel the value, what you are buying, is in the book and not in the slab. At the time, I asked to speak to Steve Borock and was in a connection limbo of some sort = they probably just put me on hold and left. Never got Steve's VM or anything so I just gave up. I'm still kind of angry about this.

Thats pretty crappy customer service!

I can see their point but not many people i know like having a cracked slab displaying their purchase. While cracked slabs dont bother me TOO MUCH, they almost always have to lead to reholdering fees, shipping fees and the time spent dealing with it. While the value IS in the book, a cracked slab is kind of a big deal and if not noted in the auction, SHOULD be handled by the seller imo rantrant

Good to have you back, you were missed, the Boards needs more enthusastic collectors like you !

Thanks! It's good to be back!

My "enthusiasm" seemed to rub a few too many people the wrong way last time around so I'm hopefully a little less "enthusiastic" this time around :acclaim:

Thanks! It's good to be back!

My "enthusiasm" seemed to rub a few too many people the wrong way last time around so I'm hopefully a little less "enthusiastic" this time around :acclaim:

I think enthusiasm towards collecting = good.

"enthusiasm" against others = not so good.

Capone: A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms. Enthusiasms, enthusiasms... What are mine? What draws my admiration? What is that which gives me joy? Baseball! A man stands alone at the plate. This is the time for what? For individual achievement. There he stands alone. But in the field, what? Part of a team. Teamwork... Looks, throws, catches, hustles. Part of one big team. Bats himself the live-long day, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, and so on. If his team don't field... what is he?

You follow me? No one. Sunny day, the stands are full of fans. What does he have to say? I'm goin' out there for myself. But... I get nowhere unless the team wins.

Hoods: Team!

Just to update this thread, they got back to me today and agreed to have the book reholdered for me if I send it back. I'll be shipping it out as soon as I get the mailing label. I thought about getting a full refund because the condition is not what I thought it should be, but I figured that was not their fault. I guess the grader(s) may have allowed the Pedigree status to blind them on this one.

Just to update this thread, they got back to me today and agreed to have the book reholdered for me if I send it back. I'll be shipping it out as soon as I get the mailing label. I thought about getting a full refund because the condition is not what I thought it should be, but I figured that was not their fault. I guess the grader(s) may have allowed the Pedigree status to blind them on this one.

Brian, good news for you, I'm sure it will work out in the end. From a selfish standpoint

I just want clarification. The 'they' in your statement is HA ? Are they reimbursing you for shipping ? If so, I guess you are a better customer than me because they offered me nada.

They said they would cover the shipping. I complained that the slab wasn't damaged during shipping and that this was not just a simple matter of blaming the post office. It was already damaged when they wrapped it up and sent it to me. This was something that was completely avoidable if they even bothered to casually glance at the item when it arrived from the seller.

That, and I'm still a little PO'd that they took the scan down right after my order was accepted.

Just to be clear, I do have a couple of slabs with some minor cracks. I don't mind them, but this was just too severe. Especially when you can actually slip the book in and out of the plastic housing.

Yea, congratulations. I just shipped a book the other day insured, 2 day priority and it came to $16.

Shipping is already just under 15 and in my experience HA just uses USPS priority shipping with boxes. I wonder if they could just insure the shipments.

Yea, congratulations. I just shipped a book the other day insured, 2 day priority and it came to $16.

Shipping is already just under 15 and in my experience HA just uses USPS priority shipping with boxes. I wonder if they could just insure the shipments.

I would think that a company such as Heritage would have insurance in place that would cover mailings. I know that the Collectors' Insure covers items including those in transport and while in transport...such as bringing items to a show in your car and having them stolen.

Also, it looks like the book was probably dropped while in Heritage's possession and the shipping department just sent it along. Of course, it's measly speculation on my part and I don't know for sure, but if someone at Heritage didn't damage it, why would they mail it ?

sadly, I'm not a big fan of the "double box"-especially since the smaller USPS box doesn't leave room. Cheaper for them for sure, but for me one good box and a safety net of peanuts on all sides and wrap on the box is pretty darn impossible to damage.

sadly, I'm not a big fan of the "double box"-especially since the smaller USPS box doesn't leave room. Cheaper for them for sure, but for me one good box and a safety net of peanuts on all sides and wrap on the box is pretty darn impossible to damage.

Peanuts! :sumo:

Those things get everywhere. :frustrated:

Much appreciated with the scan. I looked it over last night. It's the same book. I don't believe the damage to the slab caused any major issues with the book itself.

It's just a badly graded book to start with I guess. The spine roll is not really a spine roll per say. It looks like something has been sitting on the book for some time and "impressed" a line in the book. Also the lower, left part of the book shows a crused corner and damage that could not have been caused by the slab. A heavy break in the binding and also surface scuff going across and then tailing downward. There are some nice attributes with the book, but not enough to warrant a 9.2 in my opinion.

I highlighted the areas I'm referring too.

http://www.angelfire.com/ct2/Jarhead/detective443.jpg

(you'll need to copy/paste the URL into your browser)

In any case, the grade is not the issue here so I guess I'll just have to wait until Heritage responds back.

I bought the Detective 402 9.2 Rocky Mountain from the April clink auction and I've noticed some issues with the spine as well. It's kind of hard to describe but there's a fold or a dent maybe a 1/2 inch long on the back side at the spine. It's weird.

This is the first time I've had an issue with graded material in a clink auction but I really regret buying this one. I'll probably put it up for sale but I doubt I'll get my money back out of the book. (shrug)

One question though, if you've gotten it back already, did CGC give you the same grade despite the roll? My case isn't cracked or anything, I'm just curious.

Haven't gotten anything back yet. HA sent it for reholdering about a couple of weeks ago. I doubt they'll bother to regrade it, but if they did, I wouldn't be surprised if it came back as a 8.5 or 8.0. I'm beginning to think that CGC are just overgrading the current batches of RMs.

Well good luck with that, I hope CGC doesn't choose to do an on the spot re-grade which they could do during reholdering. I received a damaged HOM book and touched base with the CGC folks and they said the damage they saw would trigger a regrade during reholdering. (shrug)

Wish you the best with your book. :wishluck:

I honestly wouldn't mind. I'd actually prefer a more accurate grade. Value would go down obviously, but the way I see it, I'm pretty much on the losing end any way. Not sure I'd trust any of the grades on the newer RMs any more.

I can't speak to the grade but even a reholder gets some inspection apparently, according to the website. I don't know what that means in reality. (shrug)

** Reholder service is for a chipped, scratched or cracked holder that has not been opened or had its seals broken. We will place your comic in a new holder.

NOTE: All Reholder submissions are subject to review for tampering and accuracy of grade. Mail-in submissions only.

Well, just an update. Got the notification that the reholder service is complete. The grade appears to still be a 9.2 (which means they didn't really look at it) I guess it'll still be a few weeks before I get the book back. Assuming that they have to ship it to HA and then HA will have to get around to shipping it back to me.