• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Danger Club

313 posts in this topic

Hi all. I feel a need to respond.

First, let me please apologize for the delays -- I know they are frustrating. Second, I want to assure you all that this book is not being cancelled.

Danger Club is a labor of love; no one working on it is making any significant money on this series. Not only do comics bring in very little income, but that income needs to go first and foremost to pay Image and everyone else on the book. That's fine, we knew that going in. If we did comics because we wanted a check, we would not be doing comics.

To clarify, the sales on the TPB were good, and it stands a good chance of being reprinted -- if orders continue. If not, which is a possibility, we will stand a couple thousand dollars in debt on this series. That's where "good" sales bring us in this market.

It doesn't matter. We have a story to tell and we are going to tell it.

As frustrating as it is for the readers to wait, imagine being on this end: I'm done. I've been done. I've written this arc to its conclusion, and I want this series to be read. Why else do it? But I want it to be as close to perfect as we can manage. That means not cutting any corners. That means not bringing in fill-in talent.

We want to bring all the readers the best story possible. And while the wait is frustrating for us all, what purpose would there be in quitting? In cancelling? Because there's a delay in the schedule? It will pass. The series will continue. There will be a minimum of four more issues and another collected volume. And what this book will ultimately stand (or fall) on is its quality, not the schedule.

As for the accident: it was not worse than suggested, but brain contusions and broken bones are still serious, and they take time that would have normally been spent working on Danger Club. Then there is the fact that stress like this can have a very real corrosive effect on the creative process, and again, we want this book to be as good as it can be. If it takes a little longer to make that happen, so be it.

Moreover, it's important to understand that no one working on this book is making their living from it, and as most everyone reading this is likely to know, one small domino falling can set off a economic chain reaction that is time consuming to recover from.

This isn't a day job. It isn't a 9-5. It's what we do when everything else that must be done is taken care of. It's what we do instead of sleeping. I wish that wasn't the case. I wish the sales of this title could support multiple families -- or even just one family -- without the harsh reality of life creeping in. But even a book that sells well cannot do this.

Again: Doesn't matter. The book WILL be done. I'm sorry if it takes more time than people are comfortable with, I really am. It kills me to hear that people might give up on a title because of a delay. I share your frustration, and all I can do is assure you once more: This book is not being cancelled. We are not giving up.

Issue five is (give or take) a month away; I will be posting a preview for it in the next few days. I'm hoping that will put issue 6, 7 and 8 all on track to come out bi-monthly. I cannot promise this, but it is the target we are all working hard to meet.

Hopefully, you will all still be here with us to let us know whether you love it or hate it. The book will come out, and all I can ask is for patience.

First, let me please apologize for the delays -- I know they are frustrating. Second, I want to assure you all that this book is not being cancelled.

Danger Club is a labor of love; no one working on it is making any significant money on this series. Not only do comics bring in very little income, but that income needs to go first and foremost to pay Image and everyone else on the book. That's fine, we knew that going in. If we did comics because we wanted a check, we would not be doing comics.

To clarify, the sales on the TPB were good, and it stands a good chance of being reprinted -- if orders continue. If not, which is a possibility, we will stand a couple thousand dollars in debt on this series. That's where "good" sales bring us in this market.

As frustrating as it is for the readers to wait, imagine being on this end: I'm done. I've been done. I've written this arc to its conclusion, and I want this series to be read. Why else do it? But I want it to be as close to perfect as we can manage. That means not cutting any corners. That means not bringing in fill-in talent.

We want to bring all the readers the best story possible. And while the wait is frustrating for us all, what purpose would there be in quitting? In cancelling? Because there's a delay in the schedule? It will pass. The series will continue. There will be a minimum of four more issues and another collected volume. And what this book will ultimately stand (or fall) on is its quality, not the schedule.

As for the accident: it was not worse than suggested, but brain contusions and broken bones are still serious, and they take time that would have normally been spent working on Danger Club. Then there is the fact that stress like this can have a very real corrosive effect on the creative process, and again, we want this book to be as good as it can be. If it takes a little longer to make that happen, so be it.

Moreover, it's important to understand that no one working on this book is making their living from it, and as most everyone reading this is likely to know, one small domino falling can set off a economic chain reaction that is time consuming to recover from.

This isn't a day job. It isn't a 9-5. It's what we do when everything else that must be done is taken care of. It's what we do instead of sleeping. I wish that wasn't the case. I wish the sales of this title could support multiple families -- or even just one family -- without the harsh reality of life creeping in. But even a book that sells well cannot do this.

Again: Doesn't matter. The book WILL be done. I'm sorry if it takes more time than people are comfortable with, I really am. It kills me to hear that people might give up on a title because of a delay. I share your frustration, and all I can do is assure you once more: This book is not being cancelled. We are not giving up.

Issue five is (give or take) a month away; I will be posting a preview for it in the next few days. I'm hoping that will put issue 6, 7 and 8 all on track to come out bi-monthly. I cannot promise this, but it is the target we are all working hard to meet.

Hopefully, you will all still be here with us to let us know whether you love it or hate it. The book will come out, and all I can ask is for patience.

(thumbs u play on player.

Thanks for the update and good luck to you all. I'll buy it even if it comes out one issue a year.

thanks for the update. i'll still be purchasing since you're in for the long haul, I'm all for supporting a labor of love (peter panzerfaust included).

Will the story continue past issue 8? Or is it too early to tell.

Danger Club is spooning awesome. Thank you for seeing it through.

I too will be along for the ride regardless of how long it takes to reach the destination. To be clear: My frustration is a direct result of how much I *LOVE* this book. If I didn't care about it, I wouldn't be frustrated. (thumbs u

It's to early to say - mainly from a scheduling point of view. Obviously, our main goal is to wrap up this arc. I have several different arcs I'd like to tell, one of which is a mini-series getting into the history of Micro-Tokyo. But, I just can't commit to anything right now until the schedule is normalized.

One thing I can say is that we're not going to stop in mid-story anywhere. Originally we had mapped this arc out at 6 issues but added two when I decided we needed more room. I have a definitive ending for this storyline that should hopefully leave few questions unanswered.