• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WIZARD'S 100 Greatest Covers

293 posts in this topic

You started with 84 and not 100? confused.gif

What were 100-85?

I posted 100 - 85 in this thread here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=496599&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I realized that it would be better to give it it's own thread, and asked Arch to change the title of the original post. He couldn't do that, but he moved as many as could into their own thread. Sorry for the inconvenience. frown.gif

Great thread btw! thumbsup2.gif

I would have found it before now but it's in the Modern forum and not Comics General!

893frustrated.gif

Thanks! I'm actually having a lot of fun doing this! smile.gif

I see (said the blind man). cool.gif

I thought the list was for modern's only? I mean there have been some really really crappy pics and in the original thread it had mentioned only modern's so I figured it explained why there were so many poor choices...

I thought the list was for modern's only?

gossip.gifNo, the list was for the 100 greatest covers of ALL time.

Are there any FF covers?

I just scaned 51-157 with annuals 4 - 9 so I have nice big pics sitting on my PC for you if you need them.

Most higher grade (7.0 - 9.4)

You won't have to use a pic with a milehigh logo on it.

hi.gif

Are there any FF covers?

I just scaned 51-157 with annuals 4 - 9 so I have nice big pics sitting on my PC for you if you need them.

Most higher grade (7.0 - 9.4)

You won't have to use a pic with a milehigh logo on it.

Cool. I'll PM you if/when any FF's in that range come up (don't want to give away the list for those who are waiting!)

100 Best Covers #50: Captain America Annual #8 (1986)

14481892132.8.GIF

The perfect soldier and the perfect killing machine. When Cap squares off against Wolverine on Mike Zeck's famous cover, fans knew sparks would fly. "It's just perfect to have Wolverine's claws and Cap's shield striking against each other," says upcoming AVENGERS writer Geoff Johns. "Zeck's covers always blew me away but this one made me stop in my tracks."

100 Best Covers #52: Action Comics #662 (1991)

27_laughing.gifmakepoint.gif At first I thought this was a list of the best MODERN comics, but some of these choices are laughable.

Glad I'm not the only one. The Byrne Alpha Flight and Spectacular Spider-Man probably aren't even among Byrne's 100 greatest covers of all time.

100 Best Covers #50: Captain America Annual #8 (1986)

14481892132.8.GIF

The perfect soldier and the perfect killing machine. When Cap squares off against Wolverine on Mike Zeck's famous cover, fans knew sparks would fly. "It's just perfect to have Wolverine's claws and Cap's shield striking against each other," says upcoming AVENGERS writer Geoff Johns. "Zeck's covers always blew me away but this one made me stop in my tracks."

Zeck rules. I love his stuff. I still love this thread. Also as a side not, I kept this issue of Wizard as it is a great re-read from time to time. I do agree that there are some [!@#%^&^] covers here, but still fun to look at.

100 Best Covers #49: Fantastic Four #258 (1983)

30929984076.258.GIF

Well, *someone's* not a happy camper! The armored hand ripping through the cover, with a reflection of the evil visage behind it all ... cover artist John Byrne summed up quite plainly the disdain Dr. Doom has for Marvel's first family. What's even cooler is that you see the actual first page of the comic behind the tear!

100 Best Covers #48: What If? #45 (1984)

95076770084.45.GIF

Artist Bill Sienkiewicz finally revealed the Hulk for what he truly is: a horrifying monster, a ticking time bomb. "I wanted people to think that this wasn't just another Hulk story," says then-WHAT IF? editor Ralph Macchio. "I wanted them to think that this was something very different. Bill came up with an idea that definitely stood out from the crowd."

100 Best Covers #47: Daredevil #200 (1983)

21267019774.200.GIF

The devil made him do it. Yeah, we all know that Bullseye has seen better days and that Horn-head's a goody-good, but this cover proves that even the good guys can only tolerate so much before they're forced to lay the smack down. John Byrne and Terry Austin serve up this harsh, gritty image.

100 Best Covers #46: Hit Comics #5 (1940)

hit1.194a.jpg

When Lou Fine shared a studio with legends Will Eisner, Jack Kirby and Joe Kubert, Eisner said that Fine was the finest artist there. Fine worked with such precision that Eisner said he drew "like a surgeon." And as seen on this powerful cover, Fine could even make the Red Bee look fluid, smooth and dramatic.

hit1.194a.jpg

When Lou Fine shared a studio with legends Will Eisner, Jack Kirby and Joe Kubert, Eisner said that Fine was the finest artist there. Fine worked with such precision that Eisner said he drew "like a surgeon." And as seen on this powerful cover, Fine could even make the Red Bee look fluid, smooth and dramatic.

Ah yea....a...ok.....NEXT PLEASE tonofbricks.gif

hit1.194a.jpg

Ah yea....a...ok.....NEXT PLEASE tonofbricks.gif

The fish looks cool but the hero looks looks even fruitier than most super heros.

21267019774.200.GIF

The devil made him do it. Yeah, we all know that Bullseye has seen better days and that Horn-head's a goody-good, but this cover proves that even the good guys can only tolerate so much before they're forced to lay the smack down. John Byrne and Terry Austin serve up this harsh, gritty image.

One of my favorite Daredevil covers. cool.gif

21267019774.200.GIF

One of my favorite Daredevil covers. cool.gif

I have that one...Super cover I thought cloud9.gif