• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WIZARD'S 100 Greatest Covers

293 posts in this topic

100 Best Covers #22: House of Secrets #92 (1972)

secrets92.jpg

Bernie Wrightson's macabre cover introducing Swamp Thing reminds readers of horror movie posters from the 1950s. "When I saw this book on the stands, I made a flying leap for it," says former SANDMAN artist Charles Vess. "It was a long walk back to my apartment, so I read it right there on the street."

100 Best Covers #2: Zap #0 (1967)

zap0s.jpg

The first shot fired in the underground comix revolution nailed the target. Legerdary cartoonist R. Crumb created an image that was hip to the counterculture times, and still ultimately creepy. No matter who you were, you knew upon seeing ZAP # 0 that there was something wild happening under this cover.

100 Best Covers #20: Giant-Size X-Men #1 (1975)

xmen8.jpg

This Gil Kane/Dave Cockrum cover literally passes the torch from the original five X-Men to the new team that debuted this issue. "It's great to see new characters literally ripping through the image of the old," says former X-MEN artist Jim Lee. "It's dynamic as hell, and let's you know immediately there's a new gang in town."

100 Best Covers #19: The Man of Steel #1 direct market variant (1986)

75_1_b.JPG

A crucifix. A stop sign. Michael Jordan's mug. There's only a handful of images that are known worldwide at a glance, and one of those is Superman' big, red "S." "Ya can't beat the classic concepts," says former Super-editor Mike Carlin. "This was clearly the perfect place for DC and [cover artist John] Byrne to go back to the basics."

Cant argue with you about the modern dreck...wonder how they came up with this list?? Who were the "experts"??

4. You'll notice more Silver, Bronze, and Modern Age covers than Golden Age. Just like the commercial art field's novels and movie posters, comic covers have improved with more clever design and rendering. The Golden Age, as a whole

sign-rantpost.gif What a stupid stupid statement. These geniuses think that a cameltoe cover of Emma Frost holds up better than a Schomburg, Lou Fine or L.B. Cole cover? 893frustrated.gif

I totally agree. Not only have they dismissed the most interesting and influential period of comics creation (the Golden Age), they have totally ignored entire genres of comics. DId they even look at Romance? Westerns? War? Funny Animal? Archie (You knew that was coming, didn't you?). There are some truly classic/iconic covers in each of those genres!!

27_laughing.gif The #19 best cover of all time???893frustrated.gif

Haven't we already had one Superman cover almost identical to this?

75_1_b.JPG

A crucifix. A stop sign. Michael Jordan's mug. There's only a handful of images that are known worldwide at a glance, and one of those is Superman' big, red "S." "Ya can't beat the classic concepts," says former Super-editor Mike Carlin. "This was clearly the perfect place for DC and [cover artist John] Byrne to go back to the basics."

cloud9.gif

If that cover comes 24th in the top 100 best comic covers, then i can't wait for number 1. 27_laughing.gif

I bet it will be a modern book they are hyping.

number 1 is ASM 50. gossip.gif

since we are making predictions here...my guess is Action Comics #1 (cant go wrong with Supes 1st app! thumbsup2.gif)

100 Best Covers #18: Tales From the Crypt #28 (1952)

m644.jpg

Claustrophobic nightmares! EC's knack for beautifully illustrating man's deepest phobias turns "Six Feet Under" from a TV show to a gruesome reality. "That's right out of Edgar Allen Poe - buried alive," says legendary artist John Romita Sr. on Al Feldstein's cover. "But when you put it in a comic book, it strikes home much stronger."

100 Best Covers #17: Justice League #1 (1987)

10949.jpg

Talk about first impressions. Then-rookie artist Kevin Maguire seized fan attention with a JLA unlike any other in 1987. This super-team looked *pi$$ed*. By daring its audience to pick it up, the raw attitude of JUSTICE LEAGUE # 1's cover made it among the most imitated of the last 15 years.

Bradley, I am loving your new sleestack avatar. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Trivia question - who played the a Sleestack? Famous person.

Ok, relatively famous and not for TV and movies...

Bill Laimbeer

Bradley, I am loving your new sleestack avatar. 893applaud-thumb.gif

First Season Land of the Lost rocked Saturday mornings of my youth! cloud9.gif

At least half the episodes, the ones with the Sleestacks waking up! 893whatthe.gif

Didn't care for the ones with the cute prototype-Wookies though (is that your avatar FFB?)