• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WIZARD'S 100 Greatest Covers

293 posts in this topic

100 Best Covers #84: Silver Surfer #4 (1968)

74634472628.4.gif

kick [!@#%^&^] cover, did he ever hit the Surfer?

This issue is a must for any comic collector. The story does not live up to the cover but no collection is complete without it. I think I'm going to go read it (again). cloud9.gif

Bradley, I am loving your new sleestack avatar. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks! The first season of Land of the Lost just came out on DVD this past Wednsday, and it's brought back all my fond memories. That was my favorite show growing up!

Bradley! You're in Lawrence? You go to KU?

I live in Lawrence, but don't go to KU. I'm kinda "in-between" colleges right now (and have been for about 8 years (I'm 27 years old)). I do have alot of friends who go there, though. Do you live in Lawrence also?

100 Best Covers #16: Secret Wars #10 (1985)

72795747460.10.GIF

It makes you root for the bad guy. Dr. Doom can claim the title of Marvel's greatest villain, a tyrant, a murderer and worse... but here? Mke Zeck's Dr Doom - a king forced down to one knee - takes a horrific beating but defiantly shows that the fight's far from over. Like Gandalf in "Lord of the Rings," Doom has that"Thou shall not pass!" action pose.

100 Best Covers #15: Avengers #57 (1968)

05815547774.57.D.STEPHENS.GIF

One look at John Buscema's fortells a radical change for the team - such as the first appearance of perennial member, the Vision! "This cover is fine art," says Greg Horn (ELEKTRA). "Check out the drama ... the power of the pose, the lighting, the control as he holds his cape from swaying in the wind. This cover is tremendous."

I like that Avengers cover, don't know whether it should be so high up though.

I feel the same way about that Secret Wars cover. It's a nice cover, but should it be that up in the greatest covers of ALL TIME? No way. It wouldn't even be in the top 100 covers of all time.

We can't even begin to tell you the pure labor of love it's been putting together this mammoth list spanning over 70 years of comic covers. We rummaged through every Golden, Silver, Bronze and Modern Age cover book 27_laughing.gif and back-issue bin we could get out grubby little hands on to be as thorough as possible. This list took up three months of out lives 27_laughing.gif, producing a master list of nearly 400 covers. You shoulda seen our lobby walls caked with color Xeroxes of covers over 10 feet high!

It's been a joy to celebrate what we feel are the best of the bunch. In our minds, the criteria goes like this:

1. The cover must be from a normal comic cover. No oversized books, no trade paperbacks.

2. No nostalgia. It must engage you enough to want to buy it, without any knowledge of its interior content.

3. It must have clarity, meaning no clutter and lots of contrast. We judged not only the art, but coloring and text blurbs.

4. You'll notice more Silver, Bronze, and Modern Age covers than Golden Age. Just like the commercial art field's novels and movie posters, comic covers have improved with more clever design and rendering. The Golden Age, as a whole, doesn't hold up as well. 893censored-thumb.gif

We can't wait to hear your thoughts on it (e-mail us at Top100Covers@aol.com to give us feedback). Go ahead and flip through these pages for a real treat - you may not have seen some of these covers before, but we guarantee you'll like what you see.

I haven't heard such BS for a very long time...I'd really like to know who those really are.

100 Best Covers #23: New Teen Titans #39 (1984)

d2_1.JPG

There's no doubting the message of this George Parez cover: Robin and Kid Flash quit. "I had to get permission from DC, which was a little antsy about having the logo obscured," says Perez. "Part of the inspiration for that cover was John Romita's cover to AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #50, with Spider-Man walking away."

I've gotta disagree with Wizard here... I actually have some doubt about this cover. Sure, you could think, "Hey, Robin and Kid Flash quit." Or you could think, "Hey, Robin and Kid Flash like to get undressed together." Either way, I'm not so sure...

Your right. They look as if they are ashamed they just engaged in a homosexual act and don't want the other Titans to know.

Cant argue with you about the modern dreck...wonder how they came up with this list?? Who were the "experts"??

4. You'll notice more Silver, Bronze, and Modern Age covers than Golden Age. Just like the commercial art field's novels and movie posters, comic covers have improved with more clever design and rendering. The Golden Age, as a whole

sign-rantpost.gif What a stupid stupid statement. These geniuses think that a cameltoe cover of Emma Frost holds up better than a Schomburg, Lou Fine or L.B. Cole cover? 893frustrated.gif

I totally agree. Not only have they dismissed the most interesting and influential period of comics creation (the Golden Age), they have totally ignored entire genres of comics. DId they even look at Romance? Westerns? War? Funny Animal? Archie (You knew that was coming, didn't you?). There are some truly classic/iconic covers in each of those genres!!

Yup and when they do pick em they pick some losers. Batman 9? Out of all the Batman and Detective issues from the Golden Age they pick 9 which wouldn't probably wouldn't even crack the top 25 best covers of Detective and Batman from that time period.

If one of the two Batman mountain covers doesn't get in to the top 20 it will be outrageous.

Those covers are brilliant smile.gif

My favorite golden age cover is Superman #17

has that been listed yet?

I feel the same way about that Secret Wars cover. It's a nice cover, but should it be that up in the greatest covers of ALL TIME? No way. It wouldn't even be in the top 100 covers of all time.

Gee I think that Secret Wars cover grabs your attention like not many other covers do and when you look at the art you'd be hard pressed to find Doom depicted better. That's saying a ton.

Gee I think that Secret Wars cover grabs your attention like not many other covers do and when you look at the art you'd be hard pressed to find Doom depicted better. That's saying a ton.

I am sure if you asked a big FF fan they could think of a better Doom cover.

That cover doesn't deserve to be so high 893frustrated.gif

If one of the two Batman mountain covers doesn't get in to the top 20 it will be outrageous.

Those covers are brilliant smile.gif

My favorite golden age cover is Superman #17

has that been listed yet?

I don't think it has.

And if it hasn't i don't see a chance for it getting in.

It is not one of the better Supes covers from the GA frown.gif

If a Superman cover is going to get in now it will be some [!@#%^&^] modern sign-rantpost.gif

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that an esteemed publication like Wizard would overlook hundreds of classic Golden Age, Atom Age, Silver Age, non-superhero, and underground/alternative covers in compiling their list. Hopefully, they can redeem themselves with a "100 Greatest Wizard 9.5s" list.

100 Best Covers #14: Daredevil #183 (1982)

21267019774.183.GIF

"This one screams for attention with a simple, yet very effective design," says ORIGIN artist Andy Kubert, on Frank Miller's cover. "Your eye gets directed right to the center with the use of the background target. Also, the subject matter is *very* graphic." Just notice the pulpy exit wound from the bullet shot through DD's gut.

100 Best Covers #14: Daredevil #183 (1982)

21267019774.183.GIF

"This one screams for attention with a simple, yet very effective design," says ORIGIN artist Andy Kubert, on Frank Miller's cover. "Your eye gets directed right to the center with the use of the background target. Also, the subject matter is *very* graphic." Just notice the pulpy exit wound from the bullet shot through DD's gut.

confused.gif

Sorry, but if thats the last DD cover in this countdown, then they missed the boat on this one!!! There are a number of covers that blow this one out of the water!!! foreheadslap.gif

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that an esteemed publication like Wizard would overlook hundreds of classic Golden Age, Atom Age, Silver Age, non-superhero, and underground/alternative covers in compiling their list.

sign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gif