• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cgc 9.6

24 posts in this topic

If you are after 9.8s, you might be best served by buying them already slabbed - you will save yourself time and disappointment ... and perhaps money, too. For almost all modern books, it's 9.8 or bust... unless, of course, it is a key issue, and there is demand in grades other than 9.8.

If you are after 9.8s, you might be best served by buying them already slabbed - you will save yourself time and disappointment ... and perhaps money, too. For almost all modern books, it's 9.8 or bust... unless, of course, it is a key issue, and there is demand in grades other than 9.8.

+1

Chasing a 9.8 can cost you as much or more as just buying one. Sometimes I get books that are definitely 9.8s from a visual stance - and I consider myself lucky.

I looked for a 9.8 book for a Signature Series event, spent almost $50 looking, and now I have a big pile of books, and - at best - have one 9.6 copy. The rest are 9.2 and lower.

Is a cgc 9.6 on a modern (like released this year modern) good? I bought it from my lcs off the rack... I was hoping for higher, but, it is what it is.... What r your thoughts on 9.6s?

I would try to find out if you could get that 9.6 pressed up to a 9.8.

Ask the pros if its pressable, then if it is worth it to get pressed. ;)

I think we're all forgetting that intent may play a role in this, too.

If you just want a really nice copy CGC'd for your own collection and you're not very anal about perfection, a 9.6 is perfectly fine. If you're looking to flip it, 9.8's are much more desirable, and you'll have better luck drawing interest.

I'm a little disappointed there are more 9.9's. I understand the lack of 10's, but I've had a few 9.9's where myself and others don't see how they could improve.

I'm not looking to flip it. I am only putting it in my collection. Of course I would like perfect comics, but still. I feel good about my grading skills enough to pull books off of the rack and get them to grade out at 9.8 usually... I sent four books this last time and got two 9.6 and two 9.8. The last time I sent books I had both come back 9.8. Ultimately, I want good looking slab protected books to pass on to my kids.... I'm crazy about 9.8 books too... But 9.6 is Nm+ afterall... Is that really so bad? Anyone know what the average book off a lcs rack would grade? Maybe 9.2,9.4?

I'm not looking to flip it. I am only putting it in my collection. Of course I would like perfect comics, but still. I feel good about my grading skills enough to pull books off of the rack and get them to grade out at 9.8 usually... I sent four books this last time and got two 9.6 and two 9.8. The last time I sent books I had both come back 9.8. Ultimately, I want good looking slab protected books to pass on to my kids.... I'm crazy about 9.8 books too... But 9.6 is Nm+ afterall... Is that really so bad? Anyone know what the average book off a lcs rack would grade? Maybe 9.2,9.4?

totally depends... I quit buying locally b/c I had such a hard time consistently finding books at 9.0+. So many corner dings, spine stresses... god, especially the spine like someone flipped the whole stack forward to look at what was behind it... :pullhair:

Is a cgc 9.6 on a modern (like released this year modern) good? I bought it from my lcs off the rack... I was hoping for higher, but, it is what it is.... What r your thoughts on 9.6s?

There are Modern Age books people would go out of their way for in 9.6 condition, though they wish for a 9.8 (which may never happen on some books).

As a collector: Collect what you like - love it in the conditon you desire - then in your mind you have spent money wisely to match your goals.

As a reseller: The goal is always going to be the higher grade to maximize your resale value.

The only problem with most modern 9.6's is that the cost of slabbing exceeds the value of the book. It's in the hobby's best interest to keep the "value" of 9.8s above that level.