• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,876 posts in this topic

Just got this , published December 1964 by la Prensa , no missing pages but no staples that means , cover and pages detached ...

1229944_157455657795764_591089396_n.jpg

Got this comic from Mijael and attached my own custom cover to it. I figured since I did this for all the other Ditko issues of Strange Tales, I might as well do it for the Spanish edition of Dr. Strange's first appearance:

fantasticos35cover.jpg

fantasticos35inside.jpg

fantasticos35back.jpg

comicpix.jpg

You have done a great work on those, wdb23, but if you wished them to be as much realistic as possible, it would have been great to hand-letter them and use colors more attained to the palette Marvel used in those years. :)

(This is not meant as fussy criticism, it’s just that besides being a longtime Dr. Stranga fan I am a graphic designer and particularly enjoy care in the details. ;) ).

I posted this in the "this week in your collection thread" but figured I would throw it up around here. I have no real focus in my foreign collection. I grab an Italian edition of a Spider-man book here and there that grabs me and whenever someone goes away to another country and asks if I want anything, I ask them for a copy of a Spider-man comic in that nation's language.

asm36italyfront.jpg

asm36italyback.jpg

[font:Comic Sans MS]Regarding the foreign variants what about the German ones that were released in 1999?

Saw these and kept trying to find prices only GPA gave some indication at all.

Were these considered reprints?

[/font]

Showcase #22 9.8 35.00

B_J4fig_BGk_KGr_Hgo_H_CUEjl_Llv_S_VBK_30_Tm7_H_12.jpg

X-Men #1 CGC 9.8 300

KGr_Hq_EOKi0_E4nd_ZDv_B9_BOPUdbw8v_0_3.jpg

AMS #129 CGC 8.5 120

KGr_Hq_J_jo_FCg_t_KIEEBQ5_Y8gr8_Jg_60_57.jpg

Giant Size X-Men #1 9.6 60

KGr_Hq_RHJEc_E913_4_Ev_IBPe_Y3z_P0w_60_57.jpg

Am I losing my mind or is this one of those if it seems too good to be true than it is? Looked like a nice way to get a few key issues less expensively as placeholders for the real things one day

But these aren’t "variants" Jop, I think they are german editions made following the original graphic design, but are full reprint editions in german language.

They are but also these are italian versions?

KGr_Hq_NHJBEE_b3_RQmhi_BPvly_UKGlg_60_57.jpg

T2e_C16_J_ys_E9sy0h_CS3_BRTz4_NGf_S_60_57.jpg

T2e_C16_R_zc_E9s4g3_JQm_BRBqh4w65_Q_60_57.jpg

I think they are pretty much all reprints, but I guess people who collect foreign books prefer the term "edition" when referring to the first book of a specific issue that was printed in that country, then the later reprints as just that, "reprints." In actuality, they are all reprints, but when you are collecting all the editions from all over the world, I guess it is easier to see a reprint of ASM 129 from 1976, more of an original then say one from 1999. Variants, to me, are those that are print the same book, in the US.

While language remains elastic, each term has a specific meaning.

Speaking in general (not only comics), in publishing, "edition" means the specific editorial and publishing form in which the book comes to be. Since the foreign editions are translated books, they not only have editing in terms of text content (from which the term derives), but they also have translation, which is almost never a mere adaptation, as you always lose something in a translation.

For these reasons, the term "reprints" is unnecessarily ambiguous, considered we have a correct term to use. "Reprint" means that it’s printed again, but an edition is another language is not effectively "printed again", but printed *for the first time* in that form and in that language.

These concepts have always been the technical ones used in publishing, and I see no reason for which one should choose arbitrarily (and occasionally deceptive) chosen words instead of the descriptive ones, which are also already there. :)

These are italian first editions, but the german ones you showed are different.

The italian books were structured this way: they used the story from a main title (i.e. Spider-Man) which also gave the name to the italian title, and then featured backup stories from another character, taken from additional US titles.

While I think these recent german adaptations try to mimic the original US book also in its editorial form, and thus they should be slim books with a single story featured (and are not, in general, the first edition in german of that title).

While language remains elastic, each term has a specific meaning.

Speaking in general (not only comics), in publishing, "edition" means the specific editorial and publishing form in which the book comes to be. Since the foreign editions are translated books, they not only have editing in terms of text content (from which the term derives), but they also have translation, which is almost never a mere adaptation, as you always lose something in a translation.

For these reasons, the term "reprints" is unnecessarily ambiguous, considered we have a correct term to use. "Reprint" means that it’s printed again, but an edition is another language is not effectively "printed again", but printed *for the first time* in that form and in that language.

These concepts have always been the technical ones used in publishing, and I see no reason for which one should choose arbitrarily (and occasionally deceptive) chosen words instead of the descriptive ones, which are also already there. :)

These are italian first editions, but the german ones you showed are different.

The italian books were structured this way: they used the story from a main title (i.e. Spider-Man) which also gave the name to the italian title, and then featured backup stories from another character, taken from additional US titles.

While I think these recent german adaptations try to mimic the original US book also in its editorial form, and thus they should be slim books with a single story featured (and are not, in general, the first edition in german of that title).

+1

This has essentially been my view since I started collecting foreign books.

Doesn’t imageshack provide links to smaller size versions of the images, Eerie?

This way they are virtually unwatchable on smaller screens, unless you download them on your computer first. :)

Sorry, I never think about it since I don't have a smart phone, or a Ipad. Only a 24 inches screen. I like big scan. I will try to post big scan and a smaller one in the future.

But these aren’t "variants" Jop, I think they are german editions made following the original graphic design, but are full reprint editions in german language.

KGr_Hq_NHJBEE_b3_RQmhi_BPvly_UKGlg_60_57.jpg

T2e_C16_J_ys_E9sy0h_CS3_BRTz4_NGf_S_60_57.jpg

T2e_C16_R_zc_E9s4g3_JQm_BRBqh4w65_Q_60_57.jpg

Yes, they are! Those are much nicer than the German reprints that people try to swing for huge money lol