• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,876 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a collection that had some foreign editions in it. I don't collect them, but thought it would be nice to share them with you. There are some books that I could not find any information on, so maybe some of you could shed some light on the more obscure books.

Here's an Australian Captain America 1, published by Transport Publishing. I did not find any information about this book on the GCD. They have a British version of Cap 1 listed (published by L. Miller and Son), but there is no picture of the cover. I know that some books were co-published by British and Australian publishers, maybe this is one of them. GCD states that the book has 28 pages, this book has only 24 though.

DSC_0002900x1280_zps7cacbfdf.jpg

There's not really any information here either. Let me know if you decide to let this one go. Depending on the price I might be interested. (thumbs u

I'd like to thank you for the link, it might help me identifying some of the foreign books I just acquired.

I don't know about letting the book go, I have received multiple requests to sell it, but since I am not able to put a value on it, I prefer keeping it for the moment.

I recently purchased a collection that had some foreign editions in it. I don't collect them, but thought it would be nice to share them with you. There are some books that I could not find any information on, so maybe some of you could shed some light on the more obscure books.

The Cap is awesome. I still can’t figure how you can find and purchase such books in France: is there a consistent pool of collectors which collect Golden Age?

It would be pretty awesome, as in Italy there are very little people collecting comic books in the original USA editions.

Thanks Claudio. I guess I got lucky (again). I will start a sales thread for most of the US books after Comic-Con.

I know quite a few guys who collect GA in Paris, but most collectors concentrate on SA to current here.

There are a lot of people who collect OA over here.

I have met some Italians who collect US books though, but they all say that US books are not easy to find in Italy.

I can see that Cap as potentially being worth more than most foreigns

Any idea on publication date? Anything inside give it away?

The book looks a lot like the Australian Batman books from the 50's, it is slightly over sized as those and the cover price matches that of the 1955 issues.

At least one story is an Atlas Cap reprint.

I don't know about letting the book go, I have received multiple requests to sell it, but since I am not able to put a value on it, I prefer keeping it for the moment.

I completely understand that, pricing foreign books can be tricky. If I find any info that can help in that regard I'll let you know.

I completely understand that, pricing foreign books can be tricky. If I find any info that can help in that regard I'll let you know.

I would appreciate that!! (thumbs u

I also have some pretty scarce Australian Batman's, I will try to post them tomorrow.

Thanks Claudio. I guess I got lucky (again). I will start a sales thread for most of the US books after Comic-Con.

I know quite a few guys who collect GA in Paris, but most collectors concentrate on SA to current here.

I have met some Italians who collect US books though, but they all say that US books are not easy to find in Italy.

You lucky guys – I should have imagined (in some way) that with the kind of culture you always had associated with the b.d. in France, there might have been a nurtured collecting base for original non-french comics as well.

Unfortunately it’s not just a matter of SA: the collecting base in Italy is almost non-existent for all ages: people are mostly just not prone to appreciate things in their original language and form. That is why I find wonderful that you can dig out GA and SA comic books from France. :)

OA is another matter: I have an acquaintance which has several Sienkiewicz pages (even some painted ones from "Love and War") and there are many OA collectors here as well.

As for the Cap: there is to say that rare and super-rare does not necessarily coincide with "sought after": value is often "impossible" to determine, or better it should be determined at one’s best upon request as well.

For example, this is one of a few Superman "apocryphal" italian comics, which came out as a follow up of the very first story published here (very likely unauthorized) in 1939. They are super-rare and I would not know how to price it – I just picked it as the occasion arised, but they are pretty much "priceless".

MLIrklPh.jpg

You lucky guys – I should have imagined (in some way) that with the kind of culture you always had associated with the b.d. in France, there might have been a nurtured collecting base for original non-french comics as well.

Unfortunately it’s not just a matter of SA: the collecting base in Italy is almost non-existent for all ages: people are mostly just not prone to appreciate things in their original language and form. That is why I find wonderful that you can dig out GA and SA comic books from France. :)

OA is another matter: I have an acquaintance which has several Sienkiewicz pages (even some painted ones from "Love and War") and there are many OA collectors here as well.

As for the Cap: there is to say that rare and super-rare does not necessarily coincide with "sought after": value is often "impossible" to determine, or better it should be determined at one’s best upon request as well.

For example, this is one of a few Superman "apocryphal" italian comics, which came out as a follow up of the very first story published here (very likely unauthorized) in 1939. They are super-rare and I would not know how to price it – I just picked it as the occasion arised, but they are pretty much "priceless".

MLIrklPh.jpg

Nice cover!

I guess I'll keep the Cap anyways. If I want to get rid of it someday I should have it slabbed and put up to auction.

Personally I would not slab them, although I understand for many people it’s a bonus when they have to buy.

You have french editions from the same publisher (Edizioni Mondiali/Milano / Editions Mondiales) which published some (probably unauthorized) GA material slightly after the war in France and Italy, including the first Batman stories, did you know that?

Personally I would not slab them, although I understand for many people it’s a bonus when they have to buy.

You have french editions from the same publisher (Edizioni Mondiali/Milano / Editions Mondiales) which published some (probably unauthorized) GA material slightly after the war in France and Italy, including the first Batman stories, did you know that?

I collect raw books, but I like buying slabbed books when I buy them on the Internet. I think that roughly 5% of my collection are slabbed. It is however best to have a book slabbed if you want to sell it via one of the auction houses (imo).

Yes I know of the French editions, I have a buddy who used to collect all French Superman editions, but he sold his collection some years ago.

I see, I’m just not accustomed to auction houses: do you ship them directly for the consignements? It must be quite expensive.

I don't sell much at auction houses, but I have a friend who does and I just give him my books and he takes care of everything and sends them in with his stuff.