• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,876 posts in this topic

Ok. No interest from anybody from the first time I posted these. I'd like to get rid of them. First person to :takeit: can HAVE them. US shipping only, which is kinda funny in a foreign-comic thread, but the last shipment outside the Continental cost me $35 >.<

29ygkmf.jpg

2hdv49k.jpg

rm71tw.jpg

Ok. No interest from anybody from the first time I posted these. I'd like to get rid of them. First person to :takeit: can HAVE them. US shipping only, which is kinda funny in a foreign-comic thread, but the last shipment outside the Continental cost me $35 >.<

29ygkmf.jpg

2hdv49k.jpg

rm71tw.jpg

:takeit:

PM sent.

So after trying to figure out a good way to collect the comics I want from Brazil and Mexico.... Is there anyone on the boards interested in working out a foreign exchange? I'd be willing to purchase U.S. items and combine shipping in exchange for the same from your country. These 2 areas I don't have any connections in and Mercadolibre/livre is not fun.... PM me and we can hash out details.

Thanks,

Wrightsonfan1

So after trying to figure out a good way to collect the comics I want from Brazil and Mexico.... Is there anyone on the boards interested in working out a foreign exchange? I'd be willing to purchase U.S. items and combine shipping in exchange for the same from your country. These 2 areas I don't have any connections in and Mercadolibre/livre is not fun.... PM me and we can hash out details.

Thanks,

Wrightsonfan1

Brazil has proven to be very difficult to access. To the best of my knowledge none of us have what can be considered a reliable source there for getting books out.

Mexico is accessible although offhand I don't know of anyone there that collects American books. There are a few collectors both here and on the FCC boards from Mexico that may be willing to help out with this.

I've got some Wrightson stuff on my site in the For Trade/Sale section. If there's anything you're interested in let me know. I'm willing to work with you on pricing. (thumbs u

So, question for you guys.

I don't currently own, or specifically collect foreign variants. However, I've really wanted to find a copy of Superman Unchained #1 3D variant for a while. Problem is, they are all super over priced.

So, there is a Spanish 3D variant on the bay for $99 OBO. Its stated to be in NM+ condition and it looks good. I'm just curious what the market is like for foreign variants. I don't know a whole lot, and I would like to sell my books about 25 yrs from now so I'm wondering if a foreign variant has a lower GPA than the American covers long term.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Justin

If you are speaking in terms of "variants" (as I seem to get from your question) I would say always pretty inconsistent, as all these cover variants are niche books at best.

On the contrary, if you are looking at foreign editions on an historical perspective, you can manage to have a clearer vision of each country’s market, as the collecting habits are very different.

Even with his inconsistencies, for example, the italian market has more or less values upon which one can make his judgements. Keep in mind that outside USA for most people a VF/VF+ and a NM are more or less the same thing.

Yes, sorry I should have been more clear. It's an Italian edition. It's still the 3D variant, same cover as north America. Just wondering how the price points compare. The US books are going for 250+, but I have an offer for $60 + 22 shipping. I'm just not sure if it's a bargain or a bad call. There us such a dezcrepency between the two markets.

I recently purchased a collection that had some foreign editions in it. I don't collect them, but thought it would be nice to share them with you. There are some books that I could not find any information on, so maybe some of you could shed some light on the more obscure books.

Here's an Australian Captain America 1, published by Transport Publishing. I did not find any information about this book on the GCD. They have a British version of Cap 1 listed (published by L. Miller and Son), but there is no picture of the cover. I know that some books were co-published by British and Australian publishers, maybe this is one of them. GCD states that the book has 28 pages, this book has only 24 though.

DSC_0002900x1280_zps7cacbfdf.jpg

I recently purchased a collection that had some foreign editions in it. I don't collect them, but thought it would be nice to share them with you. There are some books that I could not find any information on, so maybe some of you could shed some light on the more obscure books.

Here's an Australian Captain America 1, published by Transport Publishing. I did not find any information about this book on the GCD. They have a British version of Cap 1 listed (published by L. Miller and Son), but there is no picture of the cover. I know that some books were co-published by British and Australian publishers, maybe this is one of them. GCD states that the book has 28 pages, this book has only 24 though.

DSC_0002900x1280_zps7cacbfdf.jpg

There's not really any information here either. Let me know if you decide to let this one go. Depending on the price I might be interested. (thumbs u

The Cap is awesome. I still can’t figure how you can find and purchase such books in France: is there a consistent pool of collectors which collect Golden Age?

It would be pretty awesome, as in Italy there are very little people collecting comic books in the original USA editions.