• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,876 posts in this topic

My slabbed foreign variant Turoks - Spanish/Mexican, Italian, French-Canadian, Australian examples: imagejpg1_zps9cb46a34.jpg

Very cool when did you submit them???

Do you know what is the 1st foreign Turok???

Love to see new foreigns:)

Thanks, got these all slabbed around 3-4 years ago. Still looking for representative foreign copies, pretty difficult to find. I think the 1st foreign edition Turok could have been the Australian run which started I believe in 1957 according to the Grand Comics Database website, but not sure

Very cool. But the french one is not french canadian, but from France

Wow, did 't realize that. Thanks!

My slabbed foreign variant Turoks - Spanish/Mexican, Italian, French-Canadian, Australian examples: imagejpg1_zps9cb46a34.jpg

Very cool when did you submit them???

Do you know what is the 1st foreign Turok???

Love to see new foreigns:)

Thanks, got these all slabbed around 3-4 years ago. Still looking for representative foreign copies, pretty difficult to find. I think the 1st foreign edition Turok could have been the Australian run which started I believe in 1957 according to the Grand Comics Database website, but not sure

Very cool. But the french one is not french canadian, but from France

Very nice selection of graded Turoks! :headbang: Now we need to get ya some Arabic ones!!!!!! :gossip:

:grin:

Hello everyone, long time lurker first time poster. This feels like some nerd version of standing up at an AA meeting so here it goes..... I have a serious problem, a longtime addiction to foreign collecting. My collection was once English only key issues but then it happened, I was bitten by the bug. In the years since it has only got worse. I wake up in the middle of the night covered in sweat, unable to sleep until I hunt a little more. The most anyone has ever seen of my collection is the spines. I've been happy to find a group for sick individuals like myself with a venue to lay bare our shame. I can only imagine the first con the FCC mag attends...... An handful of people coming to congratulate you on your bravery, while and endless stream of cosplayers and traditional collectors gawk at you as they pass like an LGBT booth at the RNC. All jokes aside its been great catching up on what's been going on here. In the weeks ahead I hope to photograph some of my collection and show it for the first time. I have alot of things not represented yet, and a somewhat different focus than the collections I've seen here. Thanks to everyone that has been contributing to this community, I just hope I can add to it.
I'm sure everyone will agree that we definitely look forward to seeing those pics. Don't feel bad, from the sound of it I was in pretty much the same state (in terms of collecting) as you once upon a time. With very few exceptions I've pretty much purged my collection of US material and have turned to strictly foreign editions.

As far as FCC attending Indiana Comic Con... I think it's safe to say that Matt (Define999) and I will be perfectly happy with the results. It's not like we're selling anything so recouping expenses isn't a concern, we just want to raise the awareness about this niche of ours. IIRC the projected attendance is around 10,000 people for the weekend. Even if we're only able to get 1% of those people to take a serious look at what we're doing I know I'll consider it a success.

I can resonate with you guys. I sold off some high grade marvels and GA stuff to fund my treasury, but I still love my US Editions. I have had the Foreign bug going strong this last year and finally had time and funds to make the focus change.

Cheers

Hello everyone, long time lurker first time poster. This feels like some nerd version of standing up at an AA meeting so here it goes..... I have a serious problem, a longtime addiction to foreign collecting. My collection was once English only key issues but then it happened, I was bitten by the bug. In the years since it has only got worse. I wake up in the middle of the night covered in sweat, unable to sleep until I hunt a little more. The most anyone has ever seen of my collection is the spines. I've been happy to find a group for sick individuals like myself with a venue to lay bare our shame. I can only imagine the first con the FCC mag attends...... An handful of people coming to congratulate you on your bravery, while and endless stream of cosplayers and traditional collectors gawk at you as they pass like an LGBT booth at the RNC. All jokes aside its been great catching up on what's been going on here. In the weeks ahead I hope to photograph some of my collection and show it for the first time. I have alot of things not represented yet, and a somewhat different focus than the collections I've seen here. Thanks to everyone that has been contributing to this community, I just hope I can add to it.
I'm sure everyone will agree that we definitely look forward to seeing those pics. Don't feel bad, from the sound of it I was in pretty much the same state (in terms of collecting) as you once upon a time. With very few exceptions I've pretty much purged my collection of US material and have turned to strictly foreign editions.

As far as FCC attending Indiana Comic Con... I think it's safe to say that Matt (Define999) and I will be perfectly happy with the results. It's not like we're selling anything so recouping expenses isn't a concern, we just want to raise the awareness about this niche of ours. IIRC the projected attendance is around 10,000 people for the weekend. Even if we're only able to get 1% of those people to take a serious look at what we're doing I know I'll consider it a success.

I can resonate with you guys. I sold off some high grade marvels and GA stuff to fund my treasury, but I still love my US Editions. I have had the Foreign bug going strong this last year and finally had time and funds to make the focus change.

Cheers

Yup, its not a dislike of US books that drives the foreign focus. Its the fact that there is a old school hunt mentality that drives this niche that has been missing from general US centric collecting for a long time. I personally love my US books with all my heart too... but my heart has grown bigger to make room for my Greek IM55 which lives alongside its American counterpart. Or my Yugoslavian Spidey129 which lives alongside its American counterpart. ect.ect..... But be warned Foxtrot... once the foreign sickness really takes hold it starts to get a little scary how crazy you can get into this part of the hobby. :makepoint:

Welcome aboard the foreign train sir! :headbang:

Edited by Define999

So here are two new books that you have seen already, I just happen to be the new custodian. Thanks Tim!!!

I will post some other new La Prensa treasure over in the SA thread

14276560540_25efe5f7b9.jpg

Cuentos Brujas 178 cgc by foxtrot70, on Flickr

14461810522_861db91c52.jpg

Cuentos Brujas 179 my copy by foxtrot70, on Flickr

Freakin nice man! Congrats to the new owner.... Its nice knowing they will be as loved with you as they were with Tim! :applause: I love the Mexican La Prensas! Of the many silver age foriegns out there it seems the Prensas were some that were printed as close to the American publishing date as you can get. Very close from my understanding..... :gossip:

So here are two new books that you have seen already, I just happen to be the new custodian. Thanks Tim!!!

I will post some other new La Prensa treasure over in the SA thread

14276560540_25efe5f7b9.jpg

Cuentos Brujas 178 cgc by foxtrot70, on Flickr

14461810522_861db91c52.jpg

Cuentos Brujas 179 my copy by foxtrot70, on Flickr

Freakin nice man! Congrats to the new owner.... Its nice knowing they will be as loved with you as they were with Tim! :applause: I love the Mexican La Prensas! Of the many silver age foriegns out there it seems the Prensas were some that were printed as close to the American publishing date as you can get. Very close from my understanding..... :gossip:

Congrats Foxtrot those are super sweet books!

Hi, guys.

I purchase a couple of high dollar (for me) books from a seller on another site, and he sent along 3 foreign (I'm guessing Spanish) comics that I really have no interest in. I saw this thread, and thought I'd see if anybody here would like them.

Superman 887 and 904 and Vulcano el Barbaro #14. All three are from the early 70s.

I don't know a thing about foreign comics, so I couldn't begin to try to put a price on them. If you're interested, make me a fair offfer. :) They didn't cost me anything, so I'll be happy to see them go to a good home and not the recycling bin, TBH.