• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,876 posts in this topic

@Bill: Try to see if your browser (from USA) visualizes correctly this search:

http://www.ebay.it/sch/i.html?_odkw=guardiani+della+galassia&_osacat=246&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xguardiani+della+galassia+play&_nkw=guardiani+della+galassia+play&_sacat=246

If so, there are some on eBay.it, and some complete runs (five "slim" trade paperbacks were published). Here’s an auction with the full series for 30 Euro:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/GUARDIANI-GALASSIA-1-5-COMPLETO-JIM-VALENTINO-PLAY-PRESS-/151398082384?pt=Fumetti_Occidentali&hash=item2340076750

@Bill: Try to see if your browser (from USA) visualizes correctly this search:

http://www.ebay.it/sch/i.html?_odkw=guardiani+della+galassia&_osacat=246&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xguardiani+della+galassia+play&_nkw=guardiani+della+galassia+play&_sacat=246

If so, there are some on eBay.it, and some complete runs (five "slim" trade paperbacks were published). Here’s an auction with the full series for 30 Euro:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/GUARDIANI-GALASSIA-1-5-COMPLETO-JIM-VALENTINO-PLAY-PRESS-/151398082384?pt=Fumetti_Occidentali&hash=item2340076750

Instances like this are why Claudio is so awesome. 2c

Should you wish to buy them, if you feel more confident I can purchase them for you and pack them adequately. I have no idea of the weight, but all five hopefully should stay under the 1Kg (2.2 lbs) tier, so it will be in the $20 range.

If they weight more, unfortunately it will be $35. Prices are for Priority, Registered costs a bit more.

I say this because it would be definitely more convenient to get more than one, assumed you are interested in them. A single paperback weights generally more than 350g (0.77lbs) and thus you forcedly fall into the "up to 1Kg" $20 category. :(

So I'm headed to my first European comic convention (FACTS in Ghent, Belgium)...

What do I look for? I have NO IDEA what is drek and what is rare (outside of just seeing what is pricey vs what is not).

Any tips from the foreign collectors on how to approach this (beyond my current plan of a) having fun, and b) looking for fun books that I think are cool)

So I'm headed to my first European comic convention (FACTS in Ghent, Belgium)...

What do I look for? I have NO IDEA what is drek and what is rare (outside of just seeing what is pricey vs what is not).

Any tips from the foreign collectors on how to approach this (beyond my current plan of a) having fun, and b) looking for fun books that I think are cool)

This is the best approach, just look for books that catch your eye.

About pricing, if you can post a few books that you wish to buy, I can advise you about the right price for them. And I am sure other collectors in the foreign editions field will chime in with more advice.

Tin Tin is the king in Belgium, you will probably see a few of the early editions, those are beautiful and extremely sought after.

anyone know of any foreign darkhawk comics NOT in Spanish or Italian?

my thinking is to pick up some foreign variants that are rare/cool (which ones from france/belgium/germany are sought after?), and start learning and collecting some of the euro comics that were published here (thanks for the suggestions so far!)

Superman et Batman 43 Sageditions, the classic bat over castle Adams cover would be a good start

thanks, yes that book (bats 227) is at the top of the "iconic covers that are cool to own foreign variants of" list Im making...

my thinking is to pick up some foreign variants that are rare/cool (which ones from france/belgium/germany are sought after?), and start learning and collecting some of the euro comics that were published here (thanks for the suggestions so far!)

I’m not an expert, but the german Batmans were similar to the italian and dutch ones, published by Williams.

Here’s a beauty I managed to grab for Tim… :)

WhgEJfbh.jpg

By "euro comics" you mean the recent editions, with prices in Euro?

Otherwise, there are many of the LUG french editions which have nice, custom painted covers. :)

Judging from your sig line, i think you might like "fantasticos" printed by La Prensa, which contain Spanish editions of various Sci Fi material including some Frazetta covers. I am even sure i saw WSF 25 w Williamson cover in that run. They are rare but would be fun to chase.

Looks like I just hit the mother of all 227 jackpot this month :banana::headbang:

Started when I bought my 2nd copy Aussie 227

004_zps70801dcb.jpg

Then by dumb luck I found a seller in liaban who had the final piece to my 227 set, plus I picked up that sweet Joker cover from him as well :headbang: He said he had more, but he will check back with me :cool:

001_zps20ebf657.jpg

Now I am complete :cloud9:

006_zps95b91626.jpg

Looks like I just hit the mother of all 227 jackpot this month :banana::headbang:

Started when I bought my 2nd copy Aussie 227

004_zps70801dcb.jpg

Then by dumb luck I found a seller in liaban who had the final piece to my 227 set, plus I picked up that sweet Joker cover from him as well :headbang: He said he had more, but he will check back with me :cool:

001_zps20ebf657.jpg

Now I am complete :cloud9:

006_zps95b91626.jpg

Fantastic set (worship)