• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,876 posts in this topic

One of my foreign goals for 2016............ check!

scan0124_zpsk6agdzfk.jpg

Nice! And not as easy to acquire as some might think. The smaller novaro format sizes are tough like the Aguilla. (thumbs u

I agree, great copy. Welcome to the club!

Thanks!!! I am working on one other right now....update soon and Kav I love that site. I signed up last year. And am looking forward to F-con 2!!

Edited by THB

I know! I met Tim at Alamo City last year and if we did not have our booths to man I am sure we could have talked for hours. He definitely lit a fire in me.

Edited by THB

One of my buddies is big into this-he can talk on and on his knowledge is astonishing.

These guys live for foreign books man every facet intrigues them.

the first foreign ed ever was a superman #2 brazilian

One of my buddies is big into this-he can talk on and on his knowledge is astonishing.

These guys live for foreign books man every facet intrigues them.

the first foreign ed ever was a superman #2 brazilian

We certainly do (thumbs u

If you're on FB, we also have a Group HERE

My first foreign comic! I was watching this on eBay for a bit, and finally decided to pull the trigger. This is a 1975 German printing of Tales of Suspense 39 (with backup story Tales to Astonish 27). I really wonder what possessed the colorist to choose orange for the cover armor, when the splash page has the traditional color (which is gorgeous, I might add). Newsstand visibility, perhaps? The entire color scheme of the cover is really, uh, vibrant :o

24416292486_ef233fdfe9_b.jpg

23814472644_9ab310e6a0_b.jpg

Either way, I love this issue. My main collecting focus is first appearances of each model of Iron Man armor, so this is a great (and affordable!) addition to the collection.

Edited by Vorpal

Early Marvel books from the german publisher have recolored covers, and "striking" color schemes, so the early french Lug editions… I don’t like them but after a few issues the german editions use the regular colors. :)

I love that Iron Man, and following the armor developments in Iron Man is a thing I’d have loved to do, but I was focused on more "urgent" issues. Do you have a checklist for these?

Early Marvel books from the german publisher have recolored covers, and "striking" color schemes, so the early french Lug editions… I don’t like them but after a few issues the german editions use the regular colors. :)

I love that Iron Man, and following the armor developments in Iron Man is a thing I’d have loved to do, but I was focused on more "urgent" issues. Do you have a checklist for these?

This is the list I have. I'm stopping with the end of the 1968 Iron Man run, so basically nothing after Model 15 (for now hm ):

Model 1 - ToS 39

Model 1 Mk.2 - ToS 40 (gold armor)

Model 1 Mk.? - IM 191 ("retro" armor)

Model 2 Mk.1- ToS 48 (1st red and gold, "horned" faceplate)

Model 2 Mk.1A - ToS 54 (riveted faceplate)

Model 3 - IM 68 (infamous "nose" faceplate)

Model 4 - IM 85 (return to noseless faceplate)

Model 5 - IM 142 (Mk1 Space armor)

Model 6 - IM 218 (Hydro Armor)

Model 7 Mk.1 - IM 152 (Mk1 Stealth armor)

Model 7 Mk.2 - IM 229 (Mk2 Stealth armor)

Model 8 - IM 200 ("Silver Centurion")

Model 9 - IM 231 (Neo-classic armor)

Model 9 Mk.2? - IM 280 (Telepresence armor)

Model 10 - IM 278 (Mk2 Space armor)

Model 11 - IM 281 (War Machine armor)

Model 12 - IM 290 (NTU-150 Telepresence armor)

Model 13 - IM 300 (Modular armor)

Model 13 variant - IM 304 (Hulkbuster armor)

Model 14 - IM 318 (Arctic armor)

Model 15 - IM 319 (Crossing armor)

If this focus interests you, I've just started my in-depth review of the various armors in my journal:

Vorpal's Hall of Armor and Mysticism

Edited by Vorpal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daredevil-Vol-1-5-6-DUTCH-1976-1st-Matador-/252253292691?hash=item3abb77c893:g:nCkAAOSwKtlWmleK

Saw that cool looking DD 5 and thought of you guys (although any here who want it have likely already seen it posted)

Hadn't seen that, thank you. Very tempted. In fact, beginning bid placed. :foryou:

My first foreign comic! I was watching this on eBay for a bit, and finally decided to pull the trigger. This is a 1975 German printing of Tales of Suspense 39 (with backup story Tales to Astonish 27). I really wonder what possessed the colorist to choose orange for the cover armor, when the splash page has the traditional color (which is gorgeous, I might add). Newsstand visibility, perhaps? The entire color scheme of the cover is really, uh, vibrant :o

24416292486_ef233fdfe9_b.jpg

23814472644_9ab310e6a0_b.jpg

Either way, I love this issue. My main collecting focus is first appearances of each model of Iron Man armor, so this is a great (and affordable!) addition to the collection.

Congrats on a great book! Welcome to the asylum... lol

My guess is this amazing artist has been discussed here before.... but for those that do not know his work this post might be insightful?

Who is Rafael López Espí? Well, he is a self taught Spanish artist famous for his painted re-imaginings of Marvel covers in the late sixties thru to the early 80s. Espí was clearly inspired by the Marvel original art but his work always displayed an artistic freedom that in my opinion makes them very special indeed. Espí started working for Vertice, a Spanish publisher in 1968. Now for the average kid in Spain, Vertice was their window into the Marvel world. As one Spanish writer says… "the USA comic books were as hard to find as a needle in a haystack". They didn't grow up with our covers! They grew up with Espí's creations, and as such many of these fans from Spain call themselves the "Generación Vértice".

Vertice also like many foreign publishers at the time messed with continuity, story plot, and other things a modern publisher wouldn't dare do today. Some stories were even cut short and new artwork created to force an end to a story where as the American plot might extend out a few more issues. at least this is my understanding of researched translated articles about these editorial decisions. As far as why the publisher chose to have covers re-illustrated? Im not really sure? In all my research I can never find a reason the publisher did this? You would think it would be cheaper just to re-use the original cover art? But who cares, in hindsight I thank the comic gods they chose to re-illustrate! Espí's work is amazing. Another thing is for certain though….. in the foreign world the Vertice books are well sought out for their amazingly well crafted covers. And as a foreign hunter you have to compete with the local Spaniards for copies. Good conditioned books do not last long on Spanish EBay trust me on this. The 2 Vertice key book scans in this side by side are mine, and I consider them jewels of my foreign collection. The nicest copies I have ever seen for sale of these issues so I hope you enjoy the Spanish masters work!

Espi_Vertice_art.jpg

Cool link to a documentary about this work but if you dont speak Spanish of course its hard to follow. Wish someone would do a subtitle version in English.

Edited by Define999

That's some really interesting information about Vertice, as well as some beautiful books you have; thanks for sharing.

Also, thanks for the kind words about my copy of Der Eiserne. If I had the available funds, I'd be in the market for this UK printing of ToS 39. Interestingly, the seller notes that it actually pre-dates the US printing by a month!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TALES-OF-SUSPENSE-39-UNRESTORED-MARVEL-COMIC-1963-1st-IRON-MAN-PRICE-VARIANT-/121866803005?hash=item1c5fd3d73d:g:PgUAAOSwUdlWcJs-

Edited by Vorpal