• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,876 posts in this topic

I'm loving the foreign variants although mine are all modern's. Have picked up:

Batman #1 Italian (has the regular cover)

Batman #1 German (Van Sciver cover)

Wolverine as Deadpool Mexican

Harley Quinn Eternal #19 German (Chad Hardin cover)

Superman/Batman #41 German (Affleck/Cavill cover)

TWD #5 German (Michonne's 1st appearance). Not a normal size book BTW

A couple of Darth Vader covers (cannot remember the actual title/#)

Supergirl & the Legion of Heroes French (I think) (incoming)

All great covers at affordable prices and they look awesome! I'll never own a real Wolverine/Deadpool or Michonne 1st app, so this works for me :)

Well, we have sorta moved on from calling them "Variants"... to buzzwordy and gets the old school panties all bunched up....

We have since moved on to calling them foreign editions.... 2c It is a better classification anyway.

My bad (thumbs u

Gotta keep the old school panties from being bunched :grin:

I'm loving the foreign variants although mine are all modern's. Have picked up:

Batman #1 Italian (has the regular cover)

Batman #1 German (Van Sciver cover)

Wolverine as Deadpool Mexican

Harley Quinn Eternal #19 German (Chad Hardin cover)

Superman/Batman #41 German (Affleck/Cavill cover)

TWD #5 German (Michonne's 1st appearance). Not a normal size book BTW

A couple of Darth Vader covers (cannot remember the actual title/#)

Supergirl & the Legion of Heroes French (I think) (incoming)

All great covers at affordable prices and they look awesome! I'll never own a real Wolverine/Deadpool or Michonne 1st app, so this works for me :)

Well, we have sorta moved on from calling them "Variants"... to buzzwordy and gets the old school panties all bunched up....

We have since moved on to calling them foreign editions.... 2c It is a better classification anyway.

My bad (thumbs u

Gotta keep the old school panties from being bunched :grin:

No bad at all..... in the beginning(like when I wrote the original article) thats what we called them... everything evolves... (thumbs u

WOW (worship) Thanks for sharing these photos. This is the first time I've seen the Australian variant on the top row far left and the Spain variant bottom row center.

That Spanish one which you did not know looks like a Panini book, and thus it is a modern spanish reprint. The original first edition looks to be the Forum one that marmat was trying to find for you. :)

^^:banana:

Gotta thank my good friend Claudio for these.... beauts!!!!

FFfirstgalactus_Italiancove.jpg

I kept just a handful of italian issues, but I am already missing this one… Besides the lovely color scheme, which I almost like better than the original (but the original is always the original!) it’s such a nice copy… :cloud9:

Catwomancomics, sorry you missed the Mexican copy. I am sure we can find another for you. As Matt said, the first thing you need to overcome is the condition factor. Some books are so rare you must take the plunge regardless of condition, as you might not see it again for 10 yrs and that copy might be a bag of chips. Most foreigns printed before 1990 are going to be very tough in higher grades. 1960s material is difficult over "Fine" or 6.0 range. I have only 2 that i consider 9.0 range which were from US collections.

Catwomancomics, sorry you missed the Mexican copy. I am sure we can find another for you. As Matt said, the first thing you need to overcome is the condition factor. Some books are so rare you must take the plunge regardless of condition, as you might not see it again for 10 yrs and that copy might be a bag of chips. Most foreigns printed before 1990 are going to be very tough in higher grades. 1960s material is difficult over "Fine" or 6.0 range. I have only 2 that i consider 9.0 range which were from US collections.

Truth....

Truth....

I'd definitely agree with that, as do my Indonesian and Greek Captain America's :)

Was saying bye to some friends at the last show and spied some ashcans at the table next to them. Among the oddball a nice little chunk of Archi........and my day was made.

archi_zpsxkbvvzls.jpg

Was saying bye to some friends at the last show and spied some ashcans at the table next to them. Among the oddball a nice little chunk of Archi........and my day was made.

archi_zpsxkbvvzls.jpg

Those are cool. (thumbs u Good find!

One of my foreign goals for 2016............ check!

scan0124_zpsk6agdzfk.jpg

Nice! And not as easy to acquire as some might think. The smaller novaro format sizes are tough like the Aguilla. (thumbs u

I agree, great copy. Welcome to the club!

Edited by rjrjr