• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,877 posts in this topic

It's been an exciting few weeks. :whee:

First, I managed to broker an amazing deal with new friend James via Facebook. He really let me steal this one from him.

scan0014_zpsqt2ybmi8.jpg

Then I received a cool package from eBay.au... The Daredevil is my second copy, but it is damn near pristine, so it will likely go in for grading and the undercopy will be available for sale or trade if anyone wants to strike a deal.

scan0013_zpslure2rbm.jpg

...and the #239 will go very nicely with my #238. :grin:

scan0012_zpsnidqviwg.jpg

Then, a bit of a mystery box from N. Scott, which contained the ultra-rare Slovakian copy of ASM #252 (not to be confused with the Czech language copy!) My Czech copy is in grading now, and this one will be shortly.

scan0009_zpsbtanxjmn.jpg

The box came with a couple of nice surprises, including...

scan0011_zps70jsivyb.jpg

And finally, I made a deal with Tony which grabbed my the final two books I need for my ASM #129 collection. :headbang:

scan0008_zpscnamcm9h.jpg

...and the white buffalo itself...

scan0010_zpsltxbx2n9.jpg

Grandpa's back in action :headbang:

To be honest, I am not crazy about these two painted covers reinterpretations… They are a lot less dramatic than the originals.

But if I recall correctly, the one of Fantastic Four #5 is quite nice, I’d like to see it once again. (thumbs u

Ok my friend I can see in the FF 67... but the 57? I think he did wonderful with this one.... but thier all just opinions of course.... :insane:

Thanks, Ken! Got a few in grading that will come out very nicely as well, I think (thumbs u

Damn Liam, great scores my friend!!!!!!!

Right now im just tickled pink with this one!

TOD1_brazil.jpg

That's fantastic, Matt! That one took a bit of research to track down, eh?

I'm not a collector of foreign comics, but a friend of mine went to Europe back in the late 80s- early 90s and brought this back from Denmark as a gift for me. I thought some of you might like to take a look. I don't know if any other foreign editions of Killing Joke have been posted ( sorry, I didn't have the time to go through all 259 pages of this thread). I translated the title and it reads "He who laughs last". Note the size difference compared to the US version.

killingjokeforeign_zps08dlxgjt.jpg

These are the only versions of this issue I have found so far. Not sure if others exist - I assume this isn't as popular an issue as the 129 or 300.

20160225_160830_zpsfz6wvzw0.jpg

There are indeed! Love the set... more to find, ontu the hunt!!!!!! (thumbs u

Screen%20shot%202016-02-26%20at%2010.05.35%20AM.png

Of the others my guess is the Brazilian EBAL is gonna be the toughest... hit me up on PM and ill see if I can help ya? :wishluck:

Edited by Define999

I'm not a collector of foreign comics, but a friend of mine went to Europe back in the late 80s- early 90s and brought this back from Denmark as a gift for me. I thought some of you might like to take a look. I don't know if any other foreign editions of Killing Joke have been posted ( sorry, I didn't have the time to go through all 259 pages of this thread). I translated the title and it reads "He who laughs last". Note the size difference compared to the US version.

Thanks for sharing!!!!

These are the only versions of this issue I have found so far. Not sure if others exist - I assume this isn't as popular an issue as the 129 or 300.

Of the others my guess is the Brazilian EBAL is gonna be the toughest... hit me up on PM and ill see if I can help ya? :wishluck:

I love how the Italian and UK editions try to "straighten out" the image!

Edited by rjrjr

Here are pictures of what I have. I have not seen the one from Denmark that you have. Interested in selling?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8272099#Post8272099

I would like to say thanks for the info but now you've given me a new list to search for :eek:

This set started by accident really. I had the original issue 78 and somehow picked up the Spanish version at a flea market probably 15+ years ago. The others just popped up while looking around Ebay. Now I guess the hunt is really on for the others. Maybe at some point I'll break down and get them graded.