• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Romita Jr. @ Vegas Hard Rock Cafe - May 4-6, 2012

164 posts in this topic

So am I correct that you don't have any exclusive arrangements with any creators whereby you compensate them for the right to be the CGC facilitator?
I'll take your answer offline.

Of course we compensate the creator for signing with us. As does CGC and anyone else who signs with a ton of creators that charge for their signature. Even your buddy JJ pays Tony Moore to sign books. So why aren't you asking JJ about his signings? JJ has announced his exclusive arrangement with Tony Moore or did you forget about that? And we don't compensate creators for the right to be a CGC facilitator, we compensate them for the cost of their signature. CGC grants us the right to be the facilitator.

Does JJ charge a service fee on every book that goes in his pocket and/or force people to sub on his account? Doesn't he simply collect $5 a book on behalf of Moore and give all the money to the creator?

Doesn't tony Moore simply want one person to collect the cash and give it to him so that people don't try to shortchange him as some other facilitators have done with other creators?

I had 10 books signed by Moore at c2e2 and I was able to sub them on my account with no fees paid to JJ at all.

You actually consider THAT to be an exclusive?

The arrangement that JJ has with Tony More is between them. I am simply saying that JJ announced that HE has an exclusive arrangement with Tony Moore. This whole issue has to do with the word "Exclusive". So I am stating that JJ himself has his own "Exclusive" agreement in place and has made it public.

That's exactly the same as wetting your beak on every single book Stan signs for CGC at a show. No difference.

It's not about the word "exclusive", it's how the the exclusive is used to exclude, include or toll other facilitators to the benefit and reimbursement of one over and to the exclusion of all others, even though they have the same fees, costs and expenses and aren't gaining any additional service.

I think a creator wanting $5 for a signature and the person collecting the money for the creator allowing the books to submitted by each facilitator under their own accounts without paying an additional toll to get it done is a far cry from what anyone would ever call an actual (monetary and access restrictive) exclusive.

I think that's what's bothering Transplant, amongst others.

JJ. I was not criticizing you. I was simply stating that the word exclusive has been the subject of this conversation. Nothing was meant to be negative towards you. I was just saying that you announced your exclusive arrangement with Tony is all. And as you have stated Tony went to CGC and stated his wishes and you and others including DWC have accepted those wishes without question. You have not heard DWC questioning or whinning about the arrangement that JJ has. And JJ if you feel the need to penalize DWC and charge us different then you charge anyone else then so be it. That is up to you. We did exactly what was asked of us, we submitted the books to Joe Pierson at the booth and included the $5.00 per book fee. We didn't ask for anything special, we just conducted business and that was all.

So here is the interesting question. Why is it that Stan's office as well as Todd's office have done exactly the same thing that Tony did. They have stated what their wishes are and yet you guys will NOT accept their wishes without question? I could understand if it was DWC that had some kind of magical hold over everyone. But DWC and CGC is simply doing what JJ and CGC are doing with each respective creator. We are acknowledging and enforcing the wishes of the creator. Why does this have to be so difficult?

Maybe the solution is to remove the non-exclusivity restriction for all SS relationships? That way all the people with exclusive non-exclusive arrangements with McFarlan and Stan can be above board about it.

Does anybody understand how to get tix for this or otherwise become an 'attendee' as opposed to a 'non attendee'. Is it simple enough to just show up? I'll be on the strip Friday and would love to be part of this event. All the websites simply say it will be happening and that there is a special kick- II #7 sketch variant for the event, but nothing else.

Just show up. No tickets will be sold. It will just be "get in line and wait your turn" type of event. Hint.. the later you show up at night the easier it will be. I think midnight until 8 am should be the slow time and easier time to get sketchs. You can bring your own sketch cover if you wish or you may purchase one of the blank covers available for the event. At this time the Kick Blank will be available and Marvel is hopefully going to be making a special Avengers vs. X-Men blank available for the event. There will also be backing boards available. All blanks will be $10.00 and the blanks will be $5.00. Head sketchs will be $50.00. Sketches that you want CGC grading on can be arranged to be witnessed at specfic times. E-mail us for details. Does that help.

I know that this is off topic, but I'll actually be in Vegas that weekend and was wondering how much notice you would need to provide a witness for a CGC graded sketch. Also, will blanks be available at ANY hour (i.e. 4am... it's Vegas) or only during given hours. Thank you in advance.

Am I the only one who enjoys everyone's work and assistance with getting signatures for my books. By doing what you do it actually allows me to use the money I would spend on gas/airfare to send in more books. Everyone keep up the good work. If you make a profit off of this so be it. If it is an exclusive so be it. You are still doing it cheaper than me going out of my way to get it done. All the while you are doing a great service to the signed comic book community. Thumbs up.

Hey Chandler,

Are there any further details about the Kick- sketch variant? Is it a blank sketch cover or is it a sketch version of one JR's existing cover?

Will this be available outside of attendees or will this only be available for those present at the event?

I'm wondering if DWS will be able to offer a signed and slabbed copy of this variant to those of us who cannot attend this event; bare minimum a raw unsigned copy of the book.

Thanks in advance!

DWC will have a limited number of sketchs available after this event is over for those who can not make it out to Las Vegas. Starting Friday, May 4th every morning of the event, beginning at 8:00 am PST, DWC will make 10 sketch spots available to be purchased in the DWC Webstore. No specific CGC grade can be guaranteed. Duplicate orders will only be allowed if spots are left available. Also look for a limited number of Kick sketchs that will be double signed by BOTH Romita Jr and Millar to be available in June. Again no specific CGC grade can be guaranteed. And the event Kick Blank Cover will be available from DWC in limited quantities both before and after the event. We will have a very limited number of these blanks available for purchase this weekend in Calgary.

Am I the only one who enjoys everyone's work and assistance with getting signatures for my books. By doing what you do it actually allows me to use the money I would spend on gas/airfare to send in more books. Everyone keep up the good work. If you make a profit off of this so be it. If it is an exclusive so be it. You are still doing it cheaper than me going out of my way to get it done. All the while you are doing a great service to the signed comic book community. Thumbs up.
+1

I am still tryin to nagivate all this, I only have one question.

If Stan is attending a con with the booth setup thing as Chandler described and CGC is at the event, can I just go to CGC booth and get a CAW to witness the sig and not have to pay all the extras beside Stan's signing fee?

I am still tryin to nagivate all this, I only have one question.

If Stan is attending a con with the booth setup thing as Chandler described and CGC is at the event, can I just go to CGC booth and get a CAW to witness the sig and not have to pay all the extras beside Stan's signing fee?

The short answer here, is NO.

I know that sucks on ice, but this is how it was explained to me, directly from DWC.

If you have your own CGC account---and I am ASSUMING that this applies to anyone with a Collectors Society, Dealer Account or otherwise---and you want to put the book on your own account----

You have to pay Chandler/DWC an additional $20 fee over the top if you want to put the book on your own CGC account.

That $20 fee, as it was explained to me, works like this.

Half goes to Stan's office.

Half goes toward paying DWC expenses.

By expenses, this is airfare, hotel and anything else that goes toward

bringing three people to a show (Chandler, Sharon and Tonia).

Otherwise, what you would do is submit the book through DWC at their booth, and you pay whatever DWC fees are already in place to get your book graded for Stan Lee s/s. There is a witness in place at the Stan Lee table connected to DWC for this.

There are other ops out there for Stan signings---currently NYComics has a Masters Signing. DWC is not involved in this and there would be no handling fee to DWC.