• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead 100 - Guess the Print Run!

354 posts in this topic

If I read your post right you would like my 2c

If you don't mind 25 copies of each variant and 1:200 with a cost of $500 then go for it. No issue there. If you hope to sell the majority of those to cover some of the cost then I would caution you against that. If you go on eBay right now you can buy a copy of every book for $225. To compare the 2 you would have to sell 192 comics for about $2 each while hundreds of other people are doing the same thing.

If you have no experience liquidating 200 $1 comics I would say save yourself the headache. For those with experience you know how it goes. You can try preselling sets which is usually not a bad idea but comes with its own headaches.

In short it depends what your goal is. If fear of not getting a copy of a book is the driving force then fear not. This is a US message board I thought it was the home of the brave. ;)

rantrant

What are the usual headaches that people see when it comes to preselling something?

#1 for me is dealing with all the lack of patience among the buyers. In the case of online preselling the eBay and PayPal protection expires. Makes some buyers nervous.

You are selling product you haven't seen. There are always risks with that. You can search the boards for discussions I believe you have commented on.

The actual work involved in filling the preorders.

What would concern me is when the Walking Dead #100 debuts it will be in the middle of the summer when the latest Batman and Spider-man movies are getting hyped. I would hate to see tons of these just sitting there in July. I do think long-term it would pick up when season 3 starts,but I could see a lot of speculators flipping these in the summer at lower discounts because of no patience with not getting the high prices they think they will get.

2c

I am staying completely away from this book. Too much hype too many people looking to make a buck here. Personally I think it might actually kill aot of the fervor around WD until season 3 starts. Image needs to be very careful here.

After 100 I hope they stay with only slight increasing print runs and making their money on TPB sales. Otherwise we all know the result at the other end.

I've seen the 1:200 variant presell for $300 minimum on eBay. After the release, I think that price will go up. Am I willing to gamble on that with 25 sets of the other 8 covers?

I'm thinking about it......

I'm just going to save up for a couple months and get a 9.8. Odds are the one I would get with the bazillion variants, isn't a 9.8. I'll pay a little extra to avoid the hassle of selling 25 sets....which I doubt would even happen with so many other people doing the same thing.

Jerome

I've seen the 1:200 variant presell for $300 minimum on eBay. After the release, I think that price will go up.

Disagree. This reminds me of the Astonishing X-Men retailer variant (Cassaday team cover). That book sold for $200 - $300 as a presale...then $80-$150 the week of release...then $50-$75 a few weeks later...and now it's an $8 book.

I don't think the WD variant will ever drop that far, but the people buying now at $300 are those that HAVETOHAVETOHAVEIT at any price. Anyone that is even remotely patient will be rewarded. Worst-case, it actually ends up being a $300 book and you wait until it's actually in hand before buying it. Best-case, it drops in price and you save some money.

IMO, there is ZERO chance this book ends up trading at $300+ raw a month after it hits shelves.

I agree as well, I should have been more specific. The craziness attached to this book is not ideal in the long run.

I do feel it's possible that the book can take an upturn only because of the people ignorant of the presells who aren't big comic buffs. There is the possibility that when the masses get wInd of it, for a short time at least, the prices can have a little surge. No doubt a CGC 9.8 would most likely ensure a return on investment, there's no guarantee you'll get one in your order. That's why I said it was a gamble.

Another factor, is the Astonishing X-Men didn't have a hit tv show so that can buck the traditional model we're used to seeing. Only time will tell but I do feel less confident about something everyone and their mother is doing.

Looks like in the last 48 hours people pre-purchasing sets of #100 have come to almost a complete stop. No one is clicking on any of the BINs....

Not sure if the eBay market has already hit peak #100 presales or what? :)

Also would love to land a 9.9 on one of the 1:200 variants from subbing it myself, would be a great 1st 9.9. :)

I have 5 tries at it, hope at least 1 comes back a 9.8 when I get them in from Diamond.

I've been reconsidering not picking up a 1:200 from my LCS since they're selling them for $180, which seems like a decent price (as of now, that is...).

Don't back out of that. That is a great price and you will make crazy easy money selling it on ebay right away. Or, if it's a good 9.8 candidate, you will have gotten one for waay cheap to keep, or better yet, sell it when it is a 9.8 and make an insane profit margin. Just sayin'

Jerome

If you don't mind 25 copies of each variant and 1:200 with a cost of $500 then go for it. No issue there. If you hope to sell the majority of those to cover some of the cost then I would caution you against that. If you go on eBay right now you can buy a copy of every book for $225. To compare the 2 you would have to sell 192 comics for about $2 each while hundreds of other people are doing the same thing.

If you have no experience liquidating 200 $1 comics I would say save yourself the headache. For those with experience you know how it goes. You can try preselling sets which is usually not a bad idea but comes with its own headaches.

In short it depends what your goal is. If fear of not getting a copy of a book is the driving force then fear not. This is a US message board I thought it was the home of the brave. ;)

rantrant

What are the usual headaches that people see when it comes to preselling something?

#1 for me is dealing with all the lack of patience among the buyers. In the case of online preselling the eBay and PayPal protection expires. Makes some buyers nervous.

You are selling product you haven't seen. There are always risks with that. You can search the boards for discussions I believe you have commented on.

What would concern me is when the Walking Dead #100 debuts it will be in the middle of the summer when the latest Batman and Spider-man movies are getting hyped. I would hate to see tons of these just sitting there in July. I do think long-term it would pick up when season 3 starts,but I could see a lot of speculators flipping these in the summer at lower discounts because of no patience with not getting the high prices they think they will get.

2c

I am staying completely away from this book. Too much hype too many people looking to make a buck here. Personally I think it might actually kill aot of the fervor around WD until season 3 starts. Image needs to be very careful here.

After 100 I hope they stay with only slight increasing print runs and making their money on TPB sales. Otherwise we all know the result at the other end.

I tend to agree. The whole reason the Image books have had a shot at doing well is that they've had pretty tight print-runs (other than Saga 1). There are going to be a ton of unsold copies of this book out there.

As it is I've seen some WDs from the last 2 months sitting on the rack (granted, they are dinged at this point).

With that said, my main LCS, which has a pretty big customer base, doesn't seem to have been ordering more WDs than usual even in the last few months. They fill the pocket in the rack with 15 or whatever copies and that's it. Granted, they have a huge # of file customers.

rantrant

2c

Why does Image need to be careful?

You mean a bunch of speculators might get disappointed and not buy as many extra issues as possible?

They could care less. Publishers don't care about secondary markets.

This book is built around story. It's built it's following because of the content. It's geared towards readers. As with many Image books it's printed pretty close to what is pre-ordered. If a bunch of people buy it out of speculation, that's on THEM.

The core audience that buys one issue just to read could care less.

This book's popularity was built on STORY. The secondary market was built on speculation and it hasn't had that much of an impact on current print run.

It will on #100 of course, and Image will smile all the way to the bank as all the Johnny Come Lately's think they can jump on the gravy train. They'll have a successful #100, speculators will be disappointed, the readers will stay the course.