• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead 100 - Guess the Print Run!

354 posts in this topic

The print-run of ASM 300 was much higher than I suspect WD 100 will be and that book has held up.

If 4X as many copies as usual are ordered it will have a print-run around NM 98s.

NM #98 had a print run around 300k.

WD #95 had a print run around 34k.

Even if you quadruple that print run for issue #100, it's still nowhere near NM #98 :shrug:

OK, I'm thinking about NM 87...Liefield liked to brag about how when he took over the print-runs were under 80K or something, so in 11 issues he got it up pretty good.

But yes, it's not like the market can't absorb this. I'm just not so sure it will given the dynamics of today's market and so many copies instantly hitting the internet all at once. We didn't have that 20 years ago. a shop might order 200 copies and hold out for $5 a pop for a "hot" book (which is, of course, why so many were stuck with those formerly hot books when they went belly up in the late 90s). Granted, I'm not sure where the heck all those NM 98s are...it's not like I don't see a badjillion 97s and 99s in every dollar box I hit.

Thing is, it's not like they're trying to get the book out on newstands where the general public might buy it. Stick WD 100 out at every 7-11 and type of store that used to carry comics 25-30 years ago and there would be no problem selling 200,000+ copies. People who like the show would pick it up to check it out as disposable entertainment or a keepsake. 10 people in my office who have no interest in comics but like the WD would buy a $4 100th anniversary issue for that, heck, display it on your shelf or something.

The print-run of ASM 300 was much higher than I suspect WD 100 will be and that book has held up.

If 4X as many copies as usual are ordered it will have a print-run around NM 98s.

Even if you quadruple that print run for issue #100, it's still nowhere near NM #98 :shrug:

Understanding we're in the direct market era for NM 98, but how many of those printed were newstand returns?

these are all $ box fodder....or .50 box...so many will be unloaded on ebay it will be earth shaking. Huge lots unloaded just to recoup costs from that 1:200. Better sell them early and often or you'll be wallpapering your house with them.

This might be a little bit hyperbolic, but it is not all wrong. I know you have all seen the boxes at cons with nothing but Brightest Day regular covers that were ordered for the incentives and they only sold 5% of the non-incentives - Now $0.50!! Same with Civil War.

While I like the idea of some variants covers (just not every frigging issue of every other title like marvel was doing for a while), the ordering of tens of thousands of copies to get the hot variants really distorts things and I don't think it is good to have SOOOOOO much 50 cent box fodder the market can't absorb.

OK, I'm thinking about NM 87...Liefield liked to brag about how when he took over the print-runs were under 80K or something, so in 11 issues he got it up pretty good.

But yes, it's not like the market can't absorb this. I'm just not so sure it will given the dynamics of today's market and so many copies instantly hitting the internet all at once. We didn't have that 20 years ago. a shop might order 200 copies and hold out for $5 a pop for a "hot" book (which is, of course, why so many were stuck with those formerly hot books when they went belly up in the late 90s). Granted, I'm not sure where the heck all those NM 98s are...it's not like I don't see a badjillion 97s and 99s in every dollar box I hit.

Thing is, it's not like they're trying to get the book out on newstands where the general public might buy it. Stick WD 100 out at every 7-11 and type of store that used to carry comics 25-30 years ago and there would be no problem selling 200,000+ copies. People who like the show would pick it up to check it out as disposable entertainment or a keepsake. 10 people in my office who have no interest in comics but like the WD would buy a $4 100th anniversary issue for that, heck, display it on your shelf or something.

I think we are losing sight of the variable that is most important in attempting to gauge the upside "absorption rate" of Walking Dead. It's not a super hero book. Every other one of these "big books" we are talking about are capes n' tights books. Those get absorbed by long time fans, and new fans, and fans of the new relaunch of the series, and the re-re-re-launch of the title. Over and over and over again ad absurdum.

This isn't a kids book, it's a mature audiences horror book. It will never have the wide reaching marketability of a super hero book that can be adjusted for all age levels and spun off in a thousand directions.

Even with all the hype, with all the ratings and great reviews and as wonderful as two full seasons of this show was circulation was still below 35,000 copies a month pretty regularly.

I don't see the characters spinning off into their own movies. I don't see saturday morning cartoon shows, or happy meal toys, or any of the other things that indoctrinate kids into a comic series from an early age and makes a 19 year old, today, buy a copy of NM 98 when he wasn't even born when it hit the stands.

If we are worried about absorption rates the super hero market will forever be dramatically larger than the horror market as comic books go and as they progress through time.

You replace bullets with laser bolts like in GI Joe, and replace rotting zombies with zombies that bite and cause people to be evil. Except in the cartoon there's a very scarce cure so if a character like Rick or Michonne is infected there can be a whole two part episode about looking for the cure.

You replace bullets with laser bolts like in GI Joe, and replace rotting zombies with zombies that bite and cause people to be evil. Except in the cartoon there's a very scarce cure so if a character like Rick or Michonne is infected there can be a whole two part episode about looking for the cure.

In other words, ruin the mess out of it.

No no..."Adapt it for Saturday Mornings"

I seem to recall Rambo having a saturday morning cartoon in the 80s. He had to have killed something like 100 VC in Rambo II which immediately preceded that cartoon.

OR

If you go the route of Regular Show and zombies are zombies I still think it translates well to cartoon. You won't have five year olds watching it, but maybe like 10-12 year olds.

I seem to recall Rambo having a saturday morning cartoon in the 80s. He had to have killed something like 100 VC in Rambo II which immediately preceded that cartoon.

OR

If you go the route of Regular Show and zombies are zombies I still think it translates well to cartoon. You won't have five year olds watching it, but maybe like 10-12 year olds.

Rambo as a cartoon sucked, so did Chuck Norris, and I love Chuck Norris.

OR

Rambo as a cartoon sucked, so did Chuck Norris, and I love Chuck Norris.

I hope for your sake Chuck never reads that. lol