• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead 100 - Guess the Print Run!

354 posts in this topic

First Blood is probably one of my favorite all time movies. I just don't think it gets much better than a green beret taking out an entire sherriff's office. I'd watch a remake of that in a heartbeat.

I'm surprised they haven't remade it since Hollywood seems to be running out of ideas.

First Blood is probably one of my favorite all time movies. I just don't think it gets much better than a green beret taking out an entire sherriff's office. I'd watch a remake of that in a heartbeat.

I'm surprised they haven't remade it since Hollywood seems to be running out of ideas.

I'm betting there's a few factors against it. Makes no sense in a modern setting and may be too expensive to duplicate 1980s small town maybe....who knows?

Will you nerds stop talking about fricken' Rambo and get this thread back on track? :baiting:

Chuck Norris makes an appearance in issue #100, it's discovered that his tears can cure the zombie infection....but Chuck Norris never cries.

Will you nerds stop talking about fricken' Rambo and get this thread back on track? :baiting:

Chuck Norris makes an appearance in issue #100, it's discovered that his tears can cure the zombie infection....but Chuck Norris never cries.

Actually we find out that Chuck Norris is the father of Daryl and Meryl Dixon. Gonna be a crazy issue #100. :ohnoez:

The print-run of ASM 300 was much higher than I suspect WD 100 will be and that book has held up.

If 4X as many copies as usual are ordered it will have a print-run around NM 98s.

NM #98 had a print run around 300k.

WD #95 had a print run around 34k.

Even if you quadruple that print run for issue #100, it's still nowhere near NM #98 :shrug:

OK, I'm thinking about NM 87...Liefield liked to brag about how when he took over the print-runs were under 80K or something, so in 11 issues he got it up pretty good.

But yes, it's not like the market can't absorb this. I'm just not so sure it will given the dynamics of today's market and so many copies instantly hitting the internet all at once. We didn't have that 20 years ago. a shop might order 200 copies and hold out for $5 a pop for a "hot" book (which is, of course, why so many were stuck with those formerly hot books when they went belly up in the late 90s). Granted, I'm not sure where the heck all those NM 98s are...it's not like I don't see a badjillion 97s and 99s in every dollar box I hit.

Thing is, it's not like they're trying to get the book out on newstands where the general public might buy it. Stick WD 100 out at every 7-11 and type of store that used to carry comics 25-30 years ago and there would be no problem selling 200,000+ copies. People who like the show would pick it up to check it out as disposable entertainment or a keepsake. 10 people in my office who have no interest in comics but like the WD would buy a $4 100th anniversary issue for that, heck, display it on your shelf or something.

I think we are losing sight of the variable that is most important in attempting to gauge the upside "absorption rate" of Walking Dead. It's not a super hero book. Every other one of these "big books" we are talking about are capes n' tights books. Those get absorbed by long time fans, and new fans, and fans of the new relaunch of the series, and the re-re-re-launch of the title. Over and over and over again ad absurdum.

This isn't a kids book, it's a mature audiences horror book. It will never have the wide reaching marketability of a super hero book that can be adjusted for all age levels and spun off in a thousand directions.

Even with all the hype, with all the ratings and great reviews and as wonderful as two full seasons of this show was circulation was still below 35,000 copies a month pretty regularly.

I don't see the characters spinning off into their own movies. I don't see saturday morning cartoon shows, or happy meal toys, or any of the other things that indoctrinate kids into a comic series from an early age and makes a 19 year old, today, buy a copy of NM 98 when he wasn't even born when it hit the stands.

If we are worried about absorption rates the super hero market will forever be dramatically larger than the horror market as comic books go and as they progress through time.

Marvel Comics Super Special #1?

Then again, Kiss are kindah like super heros in that they wore silly outfits, had TV shows featuring their super powers, etc.

Of course, the question isn't whether these will be $20 books a month later (pretty sure the Super Special #1 got expensive really quick, but I was a kid then) or $200 30 years later, but what kind of bath people will be taking who are looking to sell them for $3-$5 a pop. Honestly, you can't expect much more, can you? And the problem I see is that while there are plenty of WD (the show) fans, even WD the GN fans, they are not stepping foot into the 1 comic shop in town to pick up a copy of WD 100 and aren't going to be bothered buying them on the internet. It is simply being sold in too few venues (that too few people feel comfortable going to), is getting no hype outside the comics world, etc. to absorb the print-run it looks like this will have. But take it from someone who was running around NYC trying to track down the Rolling Stone "True Blood" cover for my wife, if the item is sitting in front of someone in the check out at Rite-aid, they might buy it.

This post touches on an important factor that 90s sales had going for it - comics were sold places other than comic shops. It is a shame that the industry has limited distribution in the manner that it has in the last 20 years. There's a few titles every year that could sell a half a million copies if comics were sold in quickey marts, gas stations and grocery stores. Anyone think we'll see an expansion of where comics are sold anytime in the near future? Are the retailers on the Board comfortable with that or does the exclusivity help sales for retailers enough that the larger exposure is not advantageous in your opinion? Thanks for the insight.

I don't own a comic shop, but I think it went down like this:

Every store whether it was a comic shop or grocery store or whatever sold comics. Which severely cut into the number of orders for your LCS, resulting in little/less profit. So they asked the distributor/publisher if they can have exclusive selling rights so they get more people into their stores and answer questions, talk shop yada yada. Avoiding the 'Wal-Mart' effect essentially.

I have no idea if that is close to the truth, just my speculation.

Jerome

One day I hope to have at least 1/10 of your knowledge. :cloud9:

lol < With the caveat that branget is being sarcastically facetious to the naysayers. I've been on the fence on G.A.tor's WD #100 offer. Just when I nearly finish reading this whole thread, leaning away from investing in the 201 (or 202 if I order the chromium)-book lot, I have to remember that the source of the above quote probably still has half the entire print run of WD #1 in his possession.. ;) Plus the confidence that I have in Robert Kirkman's respect for his readers (i.e. the faith that he will hedge this issue as a significant key rather than just expand a run-of-the-mill issue with a few extra filler pages) Skeptics be damned! My money's on WD100! :sumo: G.A.tor, check your inbox..

I wasn't being sarcastic in any way. Michael is very knowledgable and seems to pull facts out of his . Overflow information assuming his brain is full. The speed with which he replies with some of his facts tells me he either knew the factoid off the top of his head or his laptop is on a type of google speed.

I think this is a perfect investment for those who like to jump onto bandwagons late and also have faith in financing the "Hootie and the Blowfish" reunion tour.

I'm not sure if these books will be worth more as firewood to heat a home or will jump from dollar bins to quarter boxes.

The Walking Dead is no longer the hobby's hidden secret. I'm amazed by the optimistic opinions on the specuated values, almost thinking it's mainly coming from resellers hoping to hype the books up to falsely create market value and scarcity on something that's going to be printed in massive quantities to appease the hobby's appetite with a huge print run.

Didn't Image and speculating investors already go through thsi dance and do this with "Spawn #1", "Darker Image" and a bunch of other titles?

Buying spawn 1 at cover or at a discount has been profitable for 20 years. Darker image 1 not so much.