• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead 100 - Guess the Print Run!

354 posts in this topic

I was referring to the current price analysis.

Yeah ... I got nothin' for that ... apparently I don't know a gad damn thing about the market for prospective AMC Kirkman TV show comics because I thought it would have about 1/2 the heat that it's got right now ... Hell I'm still scratchin' my head about the regular cover ... If the book was better I'd understand it, but the first issue was not good and the second issue was substantially better than the first and the third issue was substantially better than the second, but the first issue was so bad that even with all the improvement I found the the third issue to still be less satisfying than a number of other Image titles. I just don't get it. :frustrated:

What is the cut off date for this book?

initial orders are due from retailers to diamond May 24 (to qualify for 1:200 var)...

FOC (final order cutoff) for retailers is June 18th, but variants would not be guaranteed at this date (only the 5/24 orders are guaranteed)

Yeah, after a bit of consideration I believe I'm going to sit this one out (from a speculative standpoint). Sure, there's a chance I'll regret it, there always is. But I believe that by chasing the 1:200 there's a better chance of taking a bath on the whole thing. The show is a monster and the books routinely sell for multiples of cover, but I don't want to have to store unsellable boxes of this book alongside my boxes of unsellable 90s drek.

To those with the cajones to take the leap, good luck to you, I hope I'm wrong! :thumbsup:

I just can't picture enough people ordering enough of this book to make it long term unsellable. My regular LCS told me if I wanted more than one cover to tell him because he's not ordering extra. I think these lack of extras through conventional means will push the secondary market. Now nor at ridiculous prices but I can still see it....especially if something major happens like death of Rick or Dixons intro'd

That said I still haven't committed to what I want on this book.

I just can't picture enough people ordering enough of this book to make it long term unsellable. My regular LCS told me if I wanted more than one cover to tell him because he's not ordering extra. I think these lack of extras through conventional means will push the secondary market. Now nor at ridiculous prices but I can still see it....especially if something major happens like death of Rick or Dixons intro'd

I reached out to 5 other comic shops in the SW Ohio, and Indiana area this week to see if they were aware of all the different covers (they are aware) and if they planned to order a bunch more than usual. All 5 said something similar to what your LCS said. Not gonna order more than normal unless requested by some of our regulars.

Sorry but I just don't see this blowing up print run wise now and I think we will see at least 2 of the covers come up hugely underordered and will be worth probably $10 to $30 after a month or two when collectors notice these covers were short printed compared to the rest.

Check Ebay auctions both closed and active.Then Check these boards for how many people are picking up MORE THAN multiples of these issues.

Comics have long term collectible potential when their significance is discovered AFTER they are released when the print run is set.

Comics do not have that same potential when everyone knows about it, and if frothing at the mouth for it, a month before orders can even start being made and several months before the books hits shelves and/or print runs are set.

Everyone who wants one will have one (or ten, or 200) the day it comes out.

The odds of this one being a long term winner or even maintaining cover price are extraordinarily slim.

Check Ebay auctions both closed and active.Then Check these boards for how many people are picking up MORE THAN multiples of these issues.

Comics have long term collectible potential when their significance is discovered AFTER they are released when the print run is set.

Comics do not have that same potential when everyone knows about it, and if frothing at the mouth for it, a month before orders can even start being made and several months before the books hits shelves and/or print runs are set.

Everyone who wants one will have one (or ten, or 200) the day it comes out.

The odds of this one being a long term winner or even maintaining cover price are extraordinarily slim.

On a related note, the odds of the Cooper/Modern section of the selling forum being overrun with listings for TWD #100!!!!!! FOR SALE CHEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAP!!!!!! in a couple of months are quite high.

these are all $ box fodder....or .50 box...so many will be unloaded on ebay it will be earth shaking. Huge lots unloaded just to recoup costs from that 1:200. Better sell them early and often or you'll be wallpapering your house with them.

The print-run of ASM 300 was much higher than I suspect WD 100 will be and that book has held up.

If 4X as many copies as usual are ordered it will have a print-run around NM 98s.

And the NM 98 was speculated on in advance (not because of deadpool, because liefield was hot).

Ditto Avengers Annual 10, DD 181, Wolverine 1, X-Men 137.

Of course, 5 out of 6 of those saw their value "leap" in different types of market, not the interweb (NM 98 was premium priced 20 years ago, but not like now) and a bigger collecting base (though how much bigger is unclear).

But yeah, personally, it's not the sort of modern I would speculate on. Shops may not take a bath as they just keep them out on the rack forever at cover and slowly sell them, but for the interweb flipper I don't think it will work.

The print-run of ASM 300 was much higher than I suspect WD 100 will be and that book has held up.

If 4X as many copies as usual are ordered it will have a print-run around NM 98s.

NM #98 had a print run around 300k.

WD #95 had a print run around 34k.

Even if you quadruple that print run for issue #100, it's still nowhere near NM #98 :shrug:

I find it facinating that so many people actually believe a company that controls the printing numbers of a for sure hot book, would not print many more of them than they actually tell us. (re: 1:200).

I know the owner of a fantasy card company prints out many more of certain cards or sets, just to sell on the back "issue" market. If the card/s "take off" in value.

A "private stash" if you will. I know because I have some of those cards that were from the "private stash".

Always follow the money. If a company knows they can print $200.00 bills, without getting into trouble with the law. They will. No doubt about it. Any and every company.

Silly mortals. :)

these are all $ box fodder....or .50 box...so many will be unloaded on ebay it will be earth shaking. Huge lots unloaded just to recoup costs from that 1:200. Better sell them early and often or you'll be wallpapering your house with them.

This might be a little bit hyperbolic, but it is not all wrong. I know you have all seen the boxes at cons with nothing but Brightest Day regular covers that were ordered for the incentives and they only sold 5% of the non-incentives - Now $0.50!! Same with Civil War.