• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bound Volumes of Comics

46 posts in this topic

I think those bound volumes are cool as hell!

I wanted to bid on like 20 of them about a year ago and like a complete m o r o n, totally forgot about the auctions and almost all of them went for way cheap. They were all cool SA titles i like and since then, i havent seen any series that id really like or ones that werent crazy expensive :sorry:

Binding your comics is cool - If you still like buying floppies every month but want a nice looking book shelf instead of long boxes it's the way to go.

Here's a shot of my Brubaker DD run. Bound in red leather don't you know :headbang:

DSC01645.jpg

DSC01646.jpg

I'm not suggesting you go and bind all your early Walking Dead's 9.8's or silver age spideys - but lets face it 99% of modern comics are worthless 'money wise' but great reading material.

Binding your comics is cool - If you still like buying floppies every month but want a nice looking book shelf instead of long boxes it's the way to go.

Here's a shot of my Brubaker DD run. Bound in red leather don't you know :headbang:

DSC01645.jpg

This looks awesome!

I've been toying with the idea for a long time to bind some series - nothing that anyone would want to slab but I like to reach for them from time to time and read them through.

In some of the books I have had done I have used reprints. Like, in my Uncanny X-Men run instead of ruining #266 I found a reprint of the comic and added it to the run. Also for numbers 221 and 222. The Spiderman book you see is not the original 1st appearance of Morbius, but a reprint. I am having a book done of first appearances of The Punisher where I used a reprint of ASM #129 and other early appearances from Marvel Tales. I just take off the covers and remove any adds and have them bound together into a great reading Punisher TPB.

I have been coming up with some great ideas like when I put together Ms Mystic. I found her 1st appearance in another book and took out the 3-4 pages from that book and put it in front of issue #1 and have them bound together.

I look for beat up, but inside still intact, books and pull the cover off and have them bound together. One book I had done was Marvel Double Feature which reprinted TOS stories of Iron Man and Capt. America. Book looks great and I can read it comfortably.

Here soon I will send down some of my Savage Sword of Conan TPB's to have them done like this -

Mylar_sample_picture_1_of_2.jpg

They can turn your soft bound into a hardbound.

This looks awesome!

I've been toying with the idea for a long time to bind some series - nothing that anyone would want to slab but I like to reach for them from time to time and read them through.

Do it :sumo:

you will not regret it !!

This looks awesome!

Do it :sumo:

you will not regret it !!

You sure won't. Almost everyday I am reading them. I can just put them down and not be worried they will get bent up and they handle much better. I bought some of those stretchy book covers to use when I am reading them to keep from finger prints and dirt. I am in the middle of reading my 3 volume All Star Squadron run.

Yep, love me my custom bound library sitting all pretty on my bookshelf. You can get really creative with creating your own personal book collection. I've added articles and reviews and pictures into my volumes, even my own Forewords telling why these titles mean so much to me....

Cavewoman.jpg

TeamAmericafinalresults.jpg

TheRealmbind.jpg

Adventurersbind.jpg

LegionLostbind.jpg

DSC01645.jpg

DSC01646.jpg

I'm not suggesting you go and bind all your early Walking Dead's 9.8's or silver age spideys - but lets face it 99% of modern comics are worthless 'money wise' but great reading material.

I like them much better when the lettering on the spine is horizontal like that. I also like the bright colored material when it's appropriate.

Yep, love me my custom bound library sitting all pretty on my bookshelf. You can get really creative with creating your own personal book collection. I've added articles and reviews and pictures into my volumes, even my own Forewords telling why these titles mean so much to me....

:o Fantastic job!

Thanks! It really is quite a fun process, though it takes a little trust and a lot of patience. But in the end, it can be very rewarding. Now I have personally designed books that I expect I'll be able to hand down for generations. Not to mention it frees up some room in my long boxes and gets the comics back out breathing in the open again for me to enjoy. :cloud9:

Thanks a freaking lot guys!!! :mad:

Now, because of this thread and how awesome those look, i gotta break my damn back digging out and thru longboxes all weekend to find some books to get a couple bound volumes! I'm thinking DEFINITELY the 1st Secret Wars and probably 2-3 Avengers series between 100-200 hm

I'm sending you guys my chiropractor bills!!! :baiting:

Thanks! It really is quite a fun process, though it takes a little trust and a lot of patience. But in the end, it can be very rewarding. Now I have personally designed books that I expect I'll be able to hand down for generations. Not to mention it frees up some room in my long boxes and gets the comics back out breathing in the open again for me to enjoy. :cloud9:

Are they stitched? How was the gutter loss? Did you choose the bonded material around the spine to avoid cracking? The books look absolutely perfect, great job. I really can't wait to get a few done

I started binding film magazines like Cinefantastique, Starlog, Fangoria for my office library at work, then began moving into other warren mags like Creepy and Eerie (under VF-) and love them. I have recently started putting together bronze books like Kamandi and Godzilla. I know you can get them in trades but I love the smell of the old paper and the ad's. It just isn't the same ya know.

Are they stitched? How was the gutter loss? Did you choose the bonded material around the spine to avoid cracking? The books look absolutely perfect, great job. I really can't wait to get a few done

Did them through David Banks (singleboundstudios.com), who's absolutely wonderful to help guide you through the process. I always use the art-on-cover option through Capitol Bindery. The binder, Kevin, is a master of the craft. A perfectionist in every aspect. But it's also MUCH more costly than most other bindery options through David or elsewhere. Then again, I get all the bells and whistles. My attitude has always been, if I'm gonna do this, then I'm gonna go all out because I've only got one shot to get it right! The books are sewn. The gutter loss is minimal, if even noticeable. The trimming is also well done and barely, if at all, noticeable to me. If Kevin thinks something will be a problem, he'll notify David to ask the customer about it first. The spine material is buckram (I think), and you can choose from many different colors. I prefer black with silver lettering & die-stamps as the standard for my bookshelf. David can design you covers, tables of content, endsheets, etc. Really, the only downside (other than cost) is the wait, which current seems to be 3-12 months, depending on the backlog and the specific project. I've had some projects in since last Sept or Oct, and am still waiting. Guess that shows how popular they are with David and Kevin! :pullhair:

I found at a yard sale some soft cover and hard cover Elf Quest books and some of the pages were coming out and some cover ruined. I took them apart and sent them to have two volumes made. Here is one of them -

DSCF2980.jpg

DSCF2981.jpg

DSCF2982.jpg

Here are some pictures of others I had done -

DSCF2983.jpg

DSCF2984.jpg

DSCF2985.jpg

DSCF2986.jpg

DSCF2987.jpg

DSCF2988.jpg

DSCF2989.jpg

DSCF2990.jpg