• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just because Stan Lee signs a book....

50 posts in this topic

blackstarcomics is notorious for inflated slab prices. I'm surprised the actually sell anything...

As far an Stan sigs go - get off the guys back. He's a legend and he can do whatever he wants. He doesn't inflate the prices. Sellers like this one does.

If it annoys you don't buy 'em (shrug)

As far an Stan sigs go - get off the guys back. He's a legend and he can do whatever he wants. He doesn't inflate the prices. Sellers like this one does.

I don't think anyone is on Stan for signing things. If someone hands you $100 to twitch your hand for 2 seconds, you're going to do it. And speaking out on the internet about what annoys you is pretty much what the internet is good for, so kick back and be part of the debate!

.....it doesn't turn to gold. I know it's his book and he can sell it for what he wants, but this is an absurd price. :ohnoez:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IRON-MAN-55-CGC-SS-6-0-STAN-LEE-1ST-APP-THANOS-/251058573857?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a7441d221

And it's especially silly since an IM55 SS 9.2 with Stan's signature just sold on eBay for $499.95 on 5/1 !!!

IRON MAN #55 CGC 9.2 SIGANTURE SERIES SS SIGNED STAN LEE 1st THANOS 1973

Unless the red ink signature is suddenly in vogue :)

.....it doesn't turn to gold. I know it's his book and he can sell it for what he wants, but this is an absurd price. :ohnoez:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IRON-MAN-55-CGC-SS-6-0-STAN-LEE-1ST-APP-THANOS-/251058573857?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a7441d221

The highest price this guy has gotten for a book was Walking Dead 1 Raw copy signed by Kirkman for $800

Apparently the Roman pillar is not working.

I <3 Stan Lee. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Stan "among others" created the Marvel Universe for Christ's sake.

:whistle:

The highest price this guy has gotten for a book was Walking Dead 1 Raw copy signed by Kirkman for $800

Apparently the Roman pillar is not working.

Maybe if he painted the pillar gold he might sell some books hm

I don't think anyone is on Stan for signing things. If someone hands you $100 to twitch your hand for 2 seconds, you're going to do it. And speaking out on the internet about what annoys you is pretty much what the internet is good for, so kick back and be part of the debate!

If I was Stan Lee I would be doing the same, basically signing anything that moves.

Usually when you get to Stan's age there's not a lot to do except maybe try and wake up every day. Stan is enjoying his status as a living legend and consequently enjoys an immense sense of validation.

He is effectively creating a legacy every time he signs a book, not that he essentially needs to do so as he has already created so many in terms of creating/co-creating and re-inventing comic books way back.

I'm sure he is not signing books for the dollar alone, but even if he is, so what?

I think he likes money, who doesn't?

The problem for me with people asking nutty prices for his SS books is this.

Yes you can ask what you like for your own property, but the bottom line is this;

Stan Lee signed books are like K-Marts, there's one on every corner.

Having said that if I were Stan Lee, hell I would be signing Batman books if they'd pay me for it.

More power to Stan, and to anyone who owns one and is happy with it, more power to you.

For me there are just too many of them to set the collector pulse racing. :facepalm:

My veiw on autographs in general:

You have an opportunity to meet someone famous at a point in your life and to substantiate the occasion you want to have something to remeber it. I have been in situations at times in my life meeeting in life in general passing some legendary personalities and remember thinking, I wish I had a pen or mess I have this or that at home that would be great to have signed. So me, I am thinking that certain signatures have value and pose a challenge to get.

A baseball, a photo or even a napkin (if thats all you can come up with) are very common items and are mass produced and hold no added value, generally dont fluxuate in price, are very easily replaced (you get my point). A sheet of paper is perhaps worth a penny, but with an "authenticated autograph" (AA) its become an instant commodity. I do stress AA, because without, the burden of proof is on the seller. Your buyer will pay more once he belives the sig your selling is an AA. So you can add value to an item like the above mentioned with an autograph.

The true value of the signature of one celeb vs another should be compared on an index card, photo or ball. John Lennon's AA on an napkin vs Stan Lee on an AF15 CGC SS in terms of which is worth more is somewhat construed. Because of the napkin vs the AF15 established values, the Stan Lee sig would appear to be selling for thousands more than John's. On a napkin Stans sig brings the value of said napkin up a bit, but not worth the price he is charging for it and yes when celebs die, values go up more often than not.

CGC for what its worth from what I can remember offer a service where they will slab an 8x10 photo that has an autograph on it that they witness. Yellow label, slabbed blah blah blah. This is what and how I would like to have Stans AA.

Having Stan sign a comic book is a personal choice that someone made, like a tattoo and cannot be undone. Many people look at those with body peircings and tattos and think, thats just not for me, but some can dig it. Same with valuable comics I guess. I think we all agree that an AF15 or Hulk1 is valuable enough without a permenant tattoo. If you really like Stan and care to have this legend's sig in your collection, try a photo. CGC it of course. I could go on and I'm not in any way looking to stop people from CGC SS comic books, just want them to better see my take on the value added or taken away from what they are getting autographed.

I <3 Stan Lee. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Stan created the Marvel Universe for Christ's sake.

I agree.In a few years Stan Lee won`t be able to make all these cons, and attendance will drop for most of them. Of course San Diego and NY will continue to do good, but the smaller ones should tip their hat to Stan Lee for bringing in attendees.

Well to be blunt then :)

I don`t think many people realize that Stan Lee is going to be 90 in December and most people are dead by that age. In 5 years I will be surprised we will be having people complaining about Stan Lee signing too much. :(