• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Redesigning CGC slabs

43 posts in this topic

I just wish the slabs didn't crack so easily.

Agreed - I just got a slab in from MCS that was shipped amazingly but it still had a crack (though I guess it may have been there before and either MCS missed putting it in the description or I overlooked that note :shrug: )

I understand why you would want a slab to be more secure. But I'd disagree with you with the recent changes, because CGC is making us crack our own slabs for SS, I don't want them to change a thing. I get nervous enough as it is when I crack my slabs lol

Jerome

I really like the way the CGC slabs look now.

The grade is very clear, and I love the way holding a slab feels vs. a raw book.

I don't see how not having the grade being displayed would make it any better.

You might be happier displaying in mylars.

I really like the way the CGC slabs look now.

The grade is very clear, and I love the way holding a slab feels vs. a raw book.

I don't see how not having the grade being displayed would make it any better.

You might be happier displaying in mylars.

you should have been here when CGC changed from old label to the bigger number grade new label. :facepalm:

Regarding the fact a back label might obscure part of back cover. I think a well designed slab could put the info on back cover without obscuring anything. Maybe using smaller print around edges or something like that. I think if designed properly it would look nice.

Also, I think having option of different type of slab would be obvious first step, instead of simply switching all slabs over. If the new type of slabs don't get any traction in market place, CGC could simply stop offering them. But if they become extremely popular they might then think about making them the standard.

I personally am not a fan of the big label on top of the front of the slab. Some people might like it to show off the comics grade easily, but I think it's ugly. I'd much rather see a slab where that top label part is removed, and that info is somehow placed on the back of the slab.

I'd have to disagree. The current design makes it very easy at conventions to look at a dealer's wall and see if there's anything that I want to take a closer look at. It also makes surfing eBay easier, as I can usually see the grade on the label without even having to click on the item.

Big time Agree here +1

I understand why you would want a slab to be more secure. But I'd disagree with you with the recent changes, because CGC is making us crack our own slabs for SS, I don't want them to change a thing. I get nervous enough as it is when I crack my slabs lol

Jerome

I wasn't referring to cracking a book out of a slab. I was referring to receiving books in the mail with cracks in the slab. Even when packaged securely, this happens far too often.

I like that they have the sticker at the top. That could just be because the way I have them stored, having that sticker up there is essential unless I want to pull out 10 books to find the one I want.

The 3-4 I have where the top sticker has fallen off annoys the hell out of me! :frustrated:

If they change the dimensions of the slabs, those who make long boxes for slabs will need to introduce a new size of box and those who store their slabs in long boxes will want the new box to suit the new slabs. Not bad from the business side, but a pain on the collector side.

I like that they have the sticker at the top. That could just be because the way I have them stored, having that sticker up there is essential unless I want to pull out 10 books to find the one I want.

The 3-4 I have where the top sticker has fallen off annoys the hell out of me! :frustrated:

I have one old label slab with the sticker about halfway peeled up. I'm thinking a touch of glue to keep it down. It is annyoing.

I personally am not a fan of the big label on top of the front of the slab. Some people might like it to show off the comics grade easily, but I think it's ugly. I'd much rather see a slab where that top label part is removed, and that info is somehow placed on the back of the slab.

I'd have to disagree. The current design makes it very easy at conventions to look at a dealer's wall and see if there's anything that I want to take a closer look at. It also makes surfing eBay easier, as I can usually see the grade on the label without even having to click on the item.

Big time Agree here +1

+3

They have to put the grade on the front, can't go on the back only.

Anyone know if CGC has ever thought about redesigning their slabs?

CGC should at least experiment with a 'designer' slab. They could charge a $5-10 premium for the slab on newly graded comics, and offer a paid service to change out previously graded comics into new slabs. CGC would have a new revenue stream and people that wanted a nicer slab would be happy. For people that didn't care or like the designer slab, they could ignore it and things for them would remain exactly the same. Why wouldn't they try this?

Stupidest Idea Ever!

Big time Agree here +1

+3

Might be a little more convenient, but raw books seem to do just fine without grades posted on front of them. Sellers at conventions could just label slabbed books themselves on front to make it more convenient. In terms of eBay, any good seller will put grade in title so not seeing it in pic won't be that big of deal.

Big time Agree here +1

+3

Might be a little more convenient, but raw books seem to do just fine without grades posted on front of them. Sellers at conventions could just label slabbed books themselves on front to make it more convenient. In terms of eBay, any good seller will put grade in title so not seeing it in pic won't be that big of deal.

It's not going to happen.

I thought AFA made a great move when they switched from the taller, more unwieldy "slab" to the newer versions with the grading info internalized. You can still see it, albeit not from head on. Still, the slabs are smaller and IMO look better. Comics are obviously too thin for this though. And I think putting the grading on the back would be cumbersome. Probably best left as is.

GI+JOE+-+AFA+graded+figure+at+HST+975.jpg

HanBespinESB851a.jpg

Sellers at conventions could just label slabbed books themselves on front to make it more convenient. In terms of eBay, any good seller will put grade in title so not seeing it in pic won't be that big of deal.

Or CGC could put it on the front and prevent sellers from having to do it separately. Why make things harder than they already are? (shrug)

Or CGC could putit on the front and prevent sellers from having to do it separately. Why make things harder than they already are? (shrug)

I am mesmerized by that dog gif of yours. Even the other dog in the shot is thinking WTF?

I thought the same thing