• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Would You Respond to This? UPDATE - Seller Response

60 posts in this topic

Initially I wasn't going to leave feedback at all, then decided I would leave neutral. I'm now considering a negative due to the responses via the messages regarding the situation:

I won this auction last week and paid a day later. Advertised postage was $8.05 (there were no options for different costs or services, cost was flat and shipping description was "Expedited" on the listing). Item arrived 4 days after payment in a Ready Post brand “padded” envelope with nothing but the graded comic inside. The postage sticker read $7.49 and there was a large red stamp on the envelope stating “Standard Mail.”

Now when I say “padded” envelope I don’t mean the kind with a layer of bubble wrap inside the lining, it was the kind that literally had shredded newspaper as its layer of “padding.” Naturally the CGC case has small cracks along both sided of the case, nothing breaking the seal and no pieces falling off, but we all know how fragile said cases are and like a chip in a windshield it doesn’t take much to expand and eventually threaten the overall integrity of the case.

I messaged the seller to inform him what happened, below are the exact copies of our correspondence:

My Initial Message:

“FYI: This book arrived with cracks along the top and bottom of both sides of the case, almost certainly because of you sending it in an envelope rather than a box.”

Seller’s Reply:

“FYI: Your instant payment did not cover the actual cost of shipping (postage + envelope) which is why it was not in a box.”

My Reply:

“Instant payment covered the exact cost of shipping you required, for what reason would you consciously choose to ship fragile items with inadequate materials for protection?”

Seller’s Reply:

“As a seller my choice was to list the item with an exorbitantly high shipping cost that would cover the most conservative shipping to package it with extreme measures of protection, and potentially limit interest from buyers due to the high shipping fee, or to list it with a shipping cost for a padded envelope which in my experience has been sufficient.

I have had CGC books shipped to me in padded and/or bubble envelopes with no damage, so I decided to go with that approach. I regret that your experience with this item was not the same as mine, and have taken your point into account for future sales of CGC books. I will post all other CGC books with higher shipping costs to prevent other customers of mine from sharing your disappointment.”

My Final Reply:

“I'm very glad to hear future buyers will benefit from my unfortunate experience.”

As of yet there has been no reply to my final retort and I find myself struggling to stay objective because this jag-hole has REALLY pissed me off with his dismissive nature and refusal to take any responsibility for the fact that his neglect/ineptitude resulted in damage to an item that he also chose not to insure (which is also the seller’s responsibility and would solve this problem if he’d done so). Does my desire to leave negative feedback have any validity or is this merely a reactionary instinct I’m having to hurt him because he’s angered me? Or do I continue to "let the process work" and pursue a buyer protection case (auction was listed with "returns not accepted")?

I’d appreciate some outside opinions.

Two options:

Drive over to his house and give it to him in the ol' bread basket or

Neg him for being a double-talking, careless jackhole.

Neg him.

thread>

+1

No excuse for doing THAT halfass a shipping job! If it costs a little more oh well! God forbid he loses 50 cents on shipping to get your book to you in the condition it should!

Hell, i did my 1st ebay sale last week for some dvd's and screwed up the shipping when i set it up. Shipping was $2.99 but actually cost me $9.06. Too bad for me, lesson learned. I sure as hell wasnt going to just send them as cheap as i could and get them damaged just because i was an i d iot when i set up the auction (shrug)

I guess to elaborate - neg him because he doesn't realize, nor care that it will cost you upwards of $30 and personal time to ship the book to be reholdered. A neg and slamming his stars will send the message that he should probably do something about his packaging or risk more negs and less sales to people who peruse feedback (like myself).

Neg him and list poor shipping as the reason.

Definitely put "Shipped CGC graded book in an envelope. A complete waste of my time." or something like that in the feedback.

Two options:

Drive over to his house and give it to him in the ol' bread basket or

Neg him for being a double-talking, careless jackhole.

He's undoubtedly not worth the price of fuel, yet I'm not outright dismissing this as a possibility . . .

Neg him.

thread>

+1

No excuse for doing THAT halfass a shipping job! If it costs a little more oh well! God forbid he loses 50 cents on shipping to get your book to you in the condition it should!

Hell, i did my 1st ebay sale last week for some dvd's and screwed up the shipping when i set it up. Shipping was $2.99 but actually cost me $9.06. Too bad for me, lesson learned. I sure as hell wasnt going to just send them as cheap as i could and get them damaged just because i was an i d iot when i set up the auction (shrug)

I constantly eat shipping costs on eBay auctions because it's worth it to me. Anything above $200 I usually ship for free because percentage-wise it's not that bad of a trade-off for the good will and I'm still making decent enough money. Even on the cheaper items I only charge $5.00 but still go the Priority Mail Flat Rate box route. It's at least twice as much but I'm just trying to off-set some of the cost.

I'm just trying to stay conscious of the fact that because that's my mentality I shouldn't expect others to share or even understand it. What I DO expect is that you take responsibility for your f-ups and not be a total jag-hole in the process.

Seller’s Reply:

“As a seller my choice was to list the item with an exorbitantly high shipping cost that would cover the most conservative shipping to package it with extreme measures of protection, and potentially limit interest from buyers due to the high shipping fee, or to list it with a shipping cost for a padded envelope which in my experience has been sufficient. I have had CGC books shipped to me in padded and/or bubble envelopes with no damage, so I decided to go with that approach. I regret that your experience with this item was not the same as mine, and have taken your point into account for future sales of CGC books. I will post all other CGC books with higher shipping costs to prevent other customers of mine from sharing your disappointment.”

That's neg-worthy. He took the time to write all that, but couldn't also write something by way of offering a return/refund or even partial refund to cover costs of re-holdering? Rude.

Also, this whole "My experience was that the cases never broke, so your experience should have been the same" is bogus. There is no way that every CGC comic he has ever purchased has been mailed in the same shoddy way that he mailed it.

It appears he has sold a total of 6 books (all recently) and has exactly one feedback as a seller.

All of his other feedback is as a buyer.

Also, when you expand the shipping details on his listing, it says

"Expedited Shipping (USPS Priority Mail)"

Since he is shipping Priority Mail in an envelope for $9.45, how much more would it have cost him to send it in a box?

Just the same as when I've received a book in the post, no protection,  just a plain envelope, and it ends up trashed.  You contact the seller and get the 'we ship books all over the world this way and never get any problems or complaints'. 

Tiresome, patronising, fob off attitude.  Neg worthy.