• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

This is still going on? Value discussion? :D:insane:

Who cares? :whatev: If the person offering up something gets it claimed and he's just happy paying it forward to someone, who cares what the follow up is? If it descends further and further down, the thread won't really be fun for anyone, right?

Value this, value that. :blahblah: That doesn't work. Just let the original offerer object if they'd like, otherwise let it go. This discussion on value has been going on for how long? Nothing changes!

I would have thought you were too busy in the general discussion thread to have time to post in here! :D:insane:

The "no discussing value rule" is probably the worst thing that happened to this thread. It has created a veil for which junk donkeys and out right scammers have been able to hide behind to continuously take advantage of members of this community.

And the craziest thing is there are people here, many in fact, that are in no way taking advantage of the community but but are protecting these leeches because of some terrible rule that was implemented and not fully thought out. They are literally cutting off their noses to spite their face because of a rule that has been taken advantage of over and over again.

So no I'm not going to send a PM to someone and hand hold there hand through the common sense process of actually paying it forward. I'm not going politely ask someone to stop it when they're clearly upgrading their collection and dumping off some drek they don't want anymore.

And yes I will discuss value when it's warranted. I'm perfectly fine calling a spade a spade. I've given as much or more than anyone here over the last several years and I've also been taken advantage of as much or more than anyone here as well.

At this point, do you think things will change in this thread? :popcorn:

I don't know, but either way I'll still speak regardless of a silly rule that junk donkeys and scammers cling to like a sinking ship.

Topcat . . paging topcat. Someone is talking about value in PIF thread - could you go clean it up.

If you discuss value:

• You'll have to deal with defenders of justice that stand up for the donkeys. :sumo:
  • Win a short term battle and create a spectacle for people (like me) to :popcorn: in the background.
  • Further alienate any potential participants in the thread from joining in because they're fearful they may not "offer enough"
  • Create longer periods of "stalling the thread" because the pool of participants will dry up until there are (as it is now) only a handful of people joining in.

If you don't discuss value:

• Someone will be "taken advantage of" (who if the original offeror doesn't have a problem?)
  • More participants begin to join in as the thread is much looser and carefree
  • People stop feeling like they have to offer up an AF15 or else. :ohnoez:
  • We can stop hearing the term "hot seat" which was really created by The Giving Tree
  • If it spirals down when someone is offering up a Ninjak #1 for the X-Force #1 they just claimed, maybe it should be dead. (shrug)

I'm not even disagreeing with what you're saying. I DO think there are some that take advantage of others generosity for personal gain and have no intention of paying anything forward other than their wallet. But how do you know who that is? Maybe someone really doesn't have much and they're doing the best they can and maybe what they claimed IS something they couldn't buy on their own and it will be in their personal collection for a long, long time and brings happiness to them. Isn't that what the original offeror's intentions SHOULD be - spread joy, happiness and all of that other kumbaya stuff.

If you feel you want to continue discussing value in this thread, you need to embrace this and try your hardest to move on:

Nothing.Will.Change. :sorry:

If we are living by the original intent of the rules then when can this rule be imposed?

"While it does not have to be of exact equal value of what you took, please offer quality book(s) that someone can appreciate."

I would say a cracked slab does not fall into the category of quality books. No one wants a cracked slab of a common book. The person offering the book doesn't want it - how do I know - because no one wants one. Better to offer it raw or offer to get it reslabbed if you think someone wants that particular book.

:facepalm:

Things do change. Heck - everything changes and the only way it changes for the best is people voicing their opinion. It may seem like we are on a circulating argument but I think there has been subtle changes to the thread. Some good - some bad. Change is inevitable.

(thumbs u

You keep on trucking then. Continue bringing up value and questioning the "generosity" of an offer and whether or not someone wants an offer and see how far this thread will expand. Maybe you want it to remain just a handful of participants? hm

There is a system in place. If no one claims the offer, it reverts back. If this guy never changed his offer, who cares - it reverts back. :ohnoez:

But criticizing offers is accomplishing nothing. It doesn't effectively deter someone from taking something nice and offering drek and just scares off any new participants to the thread. All it does is create FDQ moments which is "fun" :popcorn: , but if you WANT this thread to succeed, you're doing it an injustice by criticizing anyone who participates in it.

The ONLY ONE who should have the right to complain and object is the person who just offered up something and had it claimed. 2c

(shrug)

yeah what's up with the facepalm? he's absolutely right.

Because what does saying "this offer is junk" accomplish? Be really honest for a second with yourself: What does it accomplish?

Is the guy suddenly going to say:

:idea: You're right! Now that I think about it hm , I do have that AF15 just sitting in my closet!

It's not going to accomplish anything other than having anyone sitting on the sidelines thinking hm I have some junk like that I could offer. That guy wasn't afraid to jump in. Maybe I can join in?

And who knows... maybe that new participant will be someone you WANT in this thread. (shrug)

My entire point is - nothing good is coming out of criticizing whether something is "generous" or "fair". It's been done over and over and over again. :insane:

The ONLY ONE who should have the right to complain and object is the person who just offered up something and had it claimed. 2c

And historically the offerer never EVER does that, because they don't want to look like an a-hole.

Someone did once, I recall, quite a while ago. Forgive me I don't remember who, but he offered up a whole run of all 10 of the Sandman TPB's and the person that claimed them offered up a stack of 90s drek.. The Sandman guy complained and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, jumped all over him for having the audacity to complain about someone's follow up offer.

So you're wrong, the offeror is not the ONLY ONE with the right to complain. This is a community and we ALL have the right to protect and help one another.

(shrug)

yeah what's up with the facepalm? he's absolutely right.

Because what does saying "this offer is junk" accomplish? Be really honest for a second with yourself: What does it accomplish?

Is the guy suddenly going to say:

:idea: You're right! Now that I think about it hm , I do have that AF15 just sitting in my closet!

It's not going to accomplish anything other than having anyone sitting on the sidelines thinking hm I have some junk like that I could offer. That guy wasn't afraid to jump in. Maybe I can join in?

And who knows... maybe that new participant will be someone you WANT in this thread. (shrug)

My entire point is - nothing good is coming out of criticizing whether something is "generous" or "fair". It's been done over and over and over again. :insane:

I agreed to the no commenting about value change a couple weeks ago since I'm curious to see what direction the thread will go. How about each offer has to put this statement at the end of their offer -

"While it does not have to be of exact equal value of what you took, please offer quality book(s) that someone can appreciate."

And historically the offerer never EVER does that, because they don't want to look like an a-hole.

Someone did once, I recall, quite a while ago. Forgive me I don't remember who, but he offered up a whole run of all 10 of the Sandman TPB's and the person that claimed them offered up a stack of 90s drek.. The Sandman guy complained and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, jumped all over him for having the audacity to complain about someone's follow up offer.

So you're wrong, the offeror is not the ONLY ONE with the right to complain. This is a community and we ALL have the right to protect and help one another.

I'm saying the offerer is the only one giving anything up and the only one that can feel like they are being taken advantage of.

Imagine there is someone who is a multi-millionaire and they have countless high priced books. They really cost nothing to him. Maybe he wants to pay his luck in life forward and give up an AF15. If someone claims it and is so happy :whee: and the offerer feels :cloud9: , what is wrong with that? That's an extreme example, but that's what I'm trying to get at. The offerer should be the only one to object. And if someone DOES complain about them objecting, the community should be all over that person who voices an objection. :sumo:

I agreed to the no commenting about value change a couple weeks ago since I'm curious to see what direction the thread will go. How about each offer has to put this statement at the end of their offer -

YOU JUST DID!!!! :facepalm: