• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

The ONLY ONE who should have the right to complain and object is the person who just offered up something and had it claimed. 2c

And historically the offerer never EVER does that, because they don't want to look like an a-hole.

Someone did once, I recall, quite a while ago. Forgive me I don't remember who, but he offered up a whole run of all 10 of the Sandman TPB's and the person that claimed them offered up a stack of 90s drek.. The Sandman guy complained and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, jumped all over him for having the audacity to complain about someone's follow up offer.

So you're wrong, the offeror is not the ONLY ONE with the right to complain. This is a community and we ALL have the right to protect and help one another.

I agree with Harvey and others. Let the thread stall for 4 days if the offer is not wanted. Saying an offer is crud has not led to the best results so lets try the other option and see how it works. I know its tough but as long as the counter offer meets the rules then lets see where it goes.

9:57AM

If we are living by the original intent of the rules then when can this rule be imposed?

"While it does not have to be of exact equal value of what you took, please offer quality book(s) that someone can appreciate."

I would say a cracked slab does not fall into the category of quality books. No one wants a cracked slab of a common book. The person offering the book doesn't want it - how do I know - because no one wants one. Better to offer it raw or offer to get it reslabbed if you think someone wants that particular book.

10:47AM

I agreed to the no commenting about value change a couple weeks ago since I'm curious to see what direction the thread will go. How about each offer has to put this statement at the end of their offer -

"While it does not have to be of exact equal value of what you took, please offer quality book(s) that someone can appreciate."

10:53AM

The ONLY ONE who should have the right to complain and object is the person who just offered up something and had it claimed. 2c

And historically the offerer never EVER does that, because they don't want to look like an a-hole.

Someone did once, I recall, quite a while ago. Forgive me I don't remember who, but he offered up a whole run of all 10 of the Sandman TPB's and the person that claimed them offered up a stack of 90s drek.. The Sandman guy complained and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, jumped all over him for having the audacity to complain about someone's follow up offer.

So you're wrong, the offeror is not the ONLY ONE with the right to complain. This is a community and we ALL have the right to protect and help one another.

I agree with Harvey and others. Let the thread stall for 4 days if the offer is not wanted. Saying an offer is crud has not led to the best results so lets try the other option and see how it works. I know its tough but as long as the counter offer meets the rules then lets see where it goes.

(:

lol Harvey right on time! do you patrol this thread? just in case one of us gets out of control? just messing with you...haha, but give deadpool a chance, they still haven't put up any additional offers yet So! :bump: on current offer.

:bump:

free shipping US - will pay 1st $15 elsewhere -----

update with a couple slabs (3 and 4) - these are repeats - but they are cool books......

Offer 1:

Avengers V3 22 CGC 9.4 SS

nice sig series entry

ss%20stan%201.jpg

ss%20stan.jpg

Welp... im super down for that one...

:takeit:

And heres what i have for offer!

Offer

ASM #539 9.8

iRaeYDqQGANs5.JPG

[Note: Slab was cracked and damaged during shipping on the bottom left corner, But the book itself was undamaged and should hold the 9.8...]

ibq4NwYtFzWJT0.JPG

ikWHrbaivuEYR.JPG

I'm saying the offerer is the only one giving anything up and the only one that can feel like they are being taken advantage of.

Imagine there is someone who is a multi-millionaire and they have countless high priced books. They really cost nothing to him. Maybe he wants to pay his luck in life forward and give up an AF15. If someone claims it and is so happy :whee: and the offerer feels :cloud9: , what is wrong with that? That's an extreme example, but that's what I'm trying to get at. The offerer should be the only one to object. And if someone DOES complain about them objecting, the community should be all over that person who voices an objection. :sumo:

You completely ignored what I said and tried to make an irrelevant point about a millionaire giving away books.

The offerer CAN feel that they're being taken advantage of and NOT speak up for fear of reprisal. It's happened over and over again, and the one time that I pointed out when an offerer did speak of he was flamed for it.

I've seen the way the pitchforks and fires come out around here, and you've been involved in some of those fits of public outrage, but then you advocate that the community should not stand up for one another in this instance... it makes no sense.

That and the way you seemingly flip flop on how this thread and those that take advantage of it should be dealt with, I really don't know if you're just trolling right now or what.

I agreed to the no commenting about value change a couple weeks ago since I'm curious to see what direction the thread will go. How about each offer has to put this statement at the end of their offer -

YOU JUST DID!!!! :facepalm:

After the offer had be brought to light. You don't think I saw the offer and went doh! but I didn't say a thing. Let's see where this goes. Once the discussion started I took the opportunity to bring up the statement in the original rules and point out the offer does not appear to live up to the original intent (rule) of the thread.

6:48 PM Yesterday

1Cool went :o and said something about him just making the 50 post rule. Decided to say nothing about offer and see where it would go.

Offer is then discussed publicly.

9:57AM

If we are living by the original intent of the rules then when can this rule be imposed?

I would say a cracked slab does not fall into the category of quality books. No one wants a cracked slab of a common book. The person offering the book doesn't want it - how do I know - because no one wants one. Better to offer it raw or offer to get it reslabbed if you think someone wants that particular book.

10:47AM

10:53AM

(:

I'm saying the offerer is the only one giving anything up and the only one that can feel like they are being taken advantage of.

Imagine there is someone who is a multi-millionaire and they have countless high priced books. They really cost nothing to him. Maybe he wants to pay his luck in life forward and give up an AF15. If someone claims it and is so happy :whee: and the offerer feels :cloud9: , what is wrong with that? That's an extreme example, but that's what I'm trying to get at. The offerer should be the only one to object. :news:And if someone DOES complain about them objecting, the community should be all over that person who voices an objection. :sumo::news:

You completely ignored what I said and tried to make an irrelevant point about a millionaire giving away books.

The offerer CAN feel that they're being taken advantage of and NOT speak up for fear of reprisal. It's happened over and over again, and the one time that I pointed out when an offerer did speak of he was flamed for it.

I've seen the way the pitchforks and fires come out around here, and you've been involved in some of those fits of public outrage, but then you advocate that the community should not stand up for one another in this instance... it makes no sense.

That and the way you seemingly flip flop on how this thread and those that take advantage of it should be dealt with, I really don't know if you're just trolling right now or what.

And that wasn't the last time someone said "no". 1Cool offered up something not too long ago and someone tried to claim it and he felt the follow up wasn't fair and said "no" and that was the end of it.

As far as "do I patrol this thread?" --> It's in Comics General. (shrug)

Imagine there is someone who is a multi-millionaire and they have countless high priced books. They really cost nothing to him. Maybe he wants to pay his luck in life forward and give up an AF15. If someone claims it and is so happy :whee: and the offerer feels :cloud9: , what is wrong with that? That's an extreme example, but that's what I'm trying to get at. The offerer should be the only one to object. :news:And if someone DOES complain about them objecting, the community should be all over that person who voices an objection. :sumo::news:

And that wasn't the last time someone said "no". 1Cool offered up something not too long ago and someone tried to claim it and he felt the follow up wasn't fair and said "no" and that was the end of it.

As far as "do I patrol this thread?" --> It's in Comics General. (shrug)

And 1Cool was able to say no without reprisal because the thread changed, because people spoke up about junk donkeys and the scammers and started discussing fair value, because we as a community came together and said enough is enough.

But go ahead and keep advocating for the junk donkey and saying things like nothing will ever change.

I don't flip flop. I just said earlier that I AGREE with you and know there are some that are absolutely taking advantage of other's generosity in this thread for personal gain. I 100% agree. Ask your buddy CAHokie my thoughts, he'll tell you. I CREATED AN ALTERNATIVE THREAD and wasted two months of my life following it and updating it daily because I believed in that sentiment.

What I'm saying is, you can't really do anything about it by publicly shaming offers. You have to first let the original offeror object then defend their right to object. Maybe the original offeror is fine with being generous.

You also can't teach a donkey to have self-respect or to feel shame. If they want to claim something really nice and follow it up with mess with a straight face and try to tell you it's generous, do you think they're going to get it when you publicly shame them? Are they going to change for the better? :D

But go ahead and keep advocating for the junk donkey and saying things like nothing will ever change.

I'm sorry if you think I'm saying all of this because I'm advocating for junk donkeys and that's all you were able to take away from what I've said. :sorry:

I'm sorry if you think I'm saying all of this because I'm advocating for junk donkeys and that's all you were able to take away from what I've said. :sorry:

No what I've taken away from this is that you want to argue for what I can only assume is the sake of being argumentative, and feel the need to always be right despite being clearly wrong.

You started this by saying discussing value has been going on to long, nothing changes, :blahblah: ! Then you proved yourself wrong by pointing out that 1cool was able to say no to someone that claimed his offer. He was only able to do that because the thread changed, because we started talking about value, because we started calling out the people who were taking advantage of this thread.

There's no need to discuss the rules again. They are in place, and they work. If an offer isn't claimed, it reverts.

I applaud those who are following the rules of this thread and actually "get" what Paying It Forward really means. The last PIFs have been awesome; and it was a fun, positive experience to watch. When it is operating as it was designed, the PIF thread is an asset to this community. When it isn't, as it is now because of some habitual abusers, it's an eyesore.

So, what do you do when someone refuses to follow the PIF rules?

Thankfully, there's no reason to say anything at all to the abuser. In fact, we are encouraged not to; and, instead, allow moderation to handle it.

Statement of Board Rules

Here's Arch's relevant guidelines on this topic...

Board Guidelines

These boards are meant to be an open and positive environment for the discussion of issues. As such, we encourage a free exchange of ideas and comments; however, participation on these boards is meant to be a positive experience for everyone.

Note that you are expected to make use of the "notify moderator" button underneath each post in the event that you find a post you feel violates these guidelines. You are not to reply in kind as that will be just as much a violation regardless of the fact that it's a reply.

The following behaviors may result in action taken by board moderators This is not an exhaustive list, it is only intended to be a series of examples to help clarify what is meant.

- Hi-jacking of other people's threads in a way that stifles the originally intended topic against the objections of the thread creator

okay wow...

Ill go ahead and withdraw then i didnt know it was gonna be a whole huge "thing"...

I dont have much, in fact i have a total of 6 CGC books with ASM being one of them... which ive not had a chance or resources to get reslabbed... but the little i do have i thought someone else might be able to...

didnt mean to start a riot. sorry!

I agree with Harvey - the thread rules take care of any issues like this. If no one wants the item being offered, then the offer reverts.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. While that book may not be all that appealing to you, others may really want it. I'm a huge black costume Spidey fan, and really dig that cover...

okay wow...

Ill go ahead and withdraw then i didnt know it was gonna be a whole huge "thing"...

I dont have much, in fact i have a total of 6 CGC books with ASM being one of them... which ive not had a chance or resources to get reslabbed... but the little i do have i thought someone else might be able to...

didnt mean to start a riot. sorry!

bgowb.jpg

So what I'm reading is, "I didn't know my offer was sub-par and I had no intentions on changing it up, but please feel sorry for me and my limited resources"... m'kay :eyeroll:

At least you saved everyone 4 days of waiting for it to revert.

This is still going on? Value discussion? :D:insane:

Who cares? :whatev: If the person offering up something gets it claimed and he's just happy paying it forward to someone, who cares what the follow up is? If it descends further and further down, the thread won't really be fun for anyone, right?

Value this, value that. :blahblah: That doesn't work. Just let the original offerer object if they'd like, otherwise let it go. This discussion on value has been going on for how long? Nothing changes!

Hence me saying it was okay with me to pm your choiçe,so folks couldn't compare offer to pick.

no im withdrawing to stop people from complaining...

i still feel my offer is fair... but obviously others dont...

and dont feel sorry for me, im just explaining why thats what i offered. i dont really care... if i thought it wasnt a fair offer i wouldnt have offered it. its NOT a big deal... it really really isnt.