• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fellow Boardies Help, Is my ASM 1 Restored?

678 posts in this topic

I don't understand what you think I'm trying to pull here....

I have no idea but a few people a LOT smarter than me seem to think so.

All I know is in the other thread you said you wanted it because if it came back 8.0+ you would make a killing. Now it was to read to your dying father in the hospital. I do know this, if you said that's why you wanted it guys like Roy and a bunch of others would have lined up to help you get a nice copy. Instead, you somehow bought that frankenbook ???

Then of course is the whole story Roy posted hm

This is the last I'll post in here. I started making time payments on the copy in question before I found out about my dad's late stage lymphoma. As things progressed, we started to have long talks about his childhood growing up, and comics he used to own. I wanted to finish making payments on the ASM 1 in order to gift it to my dad.

I'm not about to post medical records on an internet forum, and I couldn't care less if you guys believe me or not. The suspicion placed on me, may be warranted. But for you guys to make remarks or jokes about my father's condition is over the line, and I'm removing myself from this thread for that reason.

It's Friday where I am.

Yep, I make it Friday

Do any of us UK boardies go to bed before midnight? hm

All I know is in the other thread you said you wanted it because if it came back 8.0+ you would make a killing. Now it was to read to your dying father in the hospital. I do know this, if you said that's why you wanted it guys like Roy and a bunch of others would have lined up to help you get a nice copy. Instead, you somehow bought that frankenbook ???

This is the last I'll post in here. I started making time payments on the copy in question before I found out about my dad's late stage lymphoma. As things progressed, we started to have long talks about his childhood growing up, and comics he used to own. I wanted to finish making payments on the ASM 1 in order to gift it to my dad.

I'm not about to post medical records on an internet forum, and I couldn't care less if you guys believe me or not. The suspicion placed on me, may be warranted. But for you guys to make remarks or jokes about my father's condition is over the line, and I'm removing myself from this thread for that reason.

Yet another story that is not really consistent with a dealer who was going to send the book to CGC if you did not want it. If you were making time payments on the book over the course of months, why all of the "should I or shouldn't I" drama in these threads? No one pays thousands of dollars in time payments on a book unless they've decided to buy it.

And a dealer doesn't threaten to send the book to CGC when you've already made most of the time payments.

You're not related to Trey Cannon, are you? hm

No, then it would have been his retarded brother buying it instead of buying it for his dying father (thumbs u

84639.jpg

You gotta love that pic. lol

I don't understand this thread. The plot is way too convoluted.

Yet another story that is not really consistent with a dealer who was going to send the book to CGC if you did not want it. If you were making time payments on the book over the course of months, why all of the "should I or shouldn't I" drama in these threads? No one pays thousands of dollars in time payments on a book unless they've decided to buy it.

And a dealer doesn't threaten to send the book to CGC when you've already made most of the time payments.

Yeah, where did this time payment come from???

This story is unraveling fast! We can only hope it has enough legs to make it til Friday! :wishluck:

You're not related to Trey Cannon, are you? hm

No, then it would have been his retarded brother buying it instead of buying it for his dying father (thumbs u

84639.jpg

Is that still in your "hottie" folder?

:whee:

And here was your post from the grading and restoration forum two and a half weeks ago:

So I recently walked into a small comic store, with a solid collection of silver and bronze age books. After buying a few (namely Silver Surfer 1-4, Hulk 102, and a few others), the owner asked if I wanted to see anything from his personal collection.

One of the items was a ASM #1 which is in VFN+, possibly NM- condition. However due to a few worries he had about restoration, he was selling it for the very low price of $9,500. He said that he has had it on the wall for ages, at that price, but no one has even asked to take a closer look at it.

Upon closer inspection, the cover is absolutely beautiful, no creases of any sort and the most minimal amount of chipping. The spine is in great condition and the staples are tight as can be. The cover shines great in the light, and there are no un-even spots.

The only concern is on the flip side of the cover, which when exposed to light shows two sections which are of a slightly darker color. This is not reflected on the front, where the same sections appear just fine. The collector suggested that this is why he keeps the price so low, as he's feared in the past that this could be the sign of restoration done, via the adding of rice paper or other adhesives to strengthen the back of the cover. He said that he'd never want to sell a book at Overstreet Price, and have someone come back with a CGC Restored Slab, which I can really respect.

The question is, do I go for the gamble? Are darker regions on the back side of the cover, definite signs of restoration? This book is definitely in the 8.0+ region, and if it comes back with a universal slab, I'm making out like a bandit.

Worst case scenario, if it comes back with a Restored CGC 8.0/8.5 or 9.0, how much can I realistically expect the book to be valued at. Will it even be close to the $9500, or does restoration cause the book to fall far below even this value?

Not exactly consistent with this "I made time payments over time"/dying father BS story you're telling us now, is it?

And here was your post from the grading and restoration forum two and a half weeks ago:

So I recently walked into a small comic store, with a solid collection of silver and bronze age books. After buying a few (namely Silver Surfer 1-4, Hulk 102, and a few others), the owner asked if I wanted to see anything from his personal collection.

One of the items was a ASM #1 which is in VFN+, possibly NM- condition. However due to a few worries he had about restoration, he was selling it for the very low price of $9,500. He said that he has had it on the wall for ages, at that price, but no one has even asked to take a closer look at it.

Upon closer inspection, the cover is absolutely beautiful, no creases of any sort and the most minimal amount of chipping. The spine is in great condition and the staples are tight as can be. The cover shines great in the light, and there are no un-even spots.

The only concern is on the flip side of the cover, which when exposed to light shows two sections which are of a slightly darker color. This is not reflected on the front, where the same sections appear just fine. The collector suggested that this is why he keeps the price so low, as he's feared in the past that this could be the sign of restoration done, via the adding of rice paper or other adhesives to strengthen the back of the cover. He said that he'd never want to sell a book at Overstreet Price, and have someone come back with a CGC Restored Slab, which I can really respect.

The question is, do I go for the gamble? Are darker regions on the back side of the cover, definite signs of restoration? This book is definitely in the 8.0+ region, and if it comes back with a universal slab, I'm making out like a bandit.

Worst case scenario, if it comes back with a Restored CGC 8.0/8.5 or 9.0, how much can I realistically expect the book to be valued at. Will it even be close to the $9500, or does restoration cause the book to fall far below even this value?

Not exactly consistent with this "I made time payments over time"/dying father BS story you're telling us now, is it?

CG never gets old. :popcorn:

It's Friday where I am.

Yep, I make it Friday

Do any of us UK boardies go to bed before midnight? hm

Doesn't seem that way.

I never go to bed while I have beer left.

But what's the angle here? Why concoct such a cacophony of cocked-up caca?

But what's the angle here? Why concoct such a cacophony of cocked-up caca?

Are you kidding?!?

Why say your retarded brother sold the book at the comic shop you don't own??? People are freaking crazy that's why! :screwy: