• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fellow Boardies Help, Is my ASM 1 Restored?

678 posts in this topic

It's IMPOSSIBLE to tell what grade the book is from the scan, especially with those small pics. It could look like an 8.0 or a 4.0 in hand.

The restoration is clearly visible from a distance though.

Is the dealer Greg White?

I'm getting the feeling that this isn't a UK transaction.

Roy, did you see the giant scan of the book? It's very easy to see the resto and the potential grade of the book.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5805890#Post5805890

Is Greg White known to sell restored books without disclosure? He is going to be at a con this weekend and if that's the case...I will steer clear of his stuff.

Thanks

In his other thread it sounded like he bought it from a local store, but then I don't believe any of it anyway.

I think the boards are getting the pork sword and they don't know it yet.

I don't know the whole story either but I am getting kind of a funny feeling about this whole thing.

2 days ago I offered a book via PM in reply to a WTB post by symbiotic. He's the "1st buyer" in this story. He read the PM but did not reply.

A few hours later I get an email/offer on the same book (not through the boards) from someone I will call "2nd buyer". I replied, we went back and forth for nearly 2 days and nothing happened. After going back and forth for nearly 2 days he simply asked for a Paypal invoice and broke contact.

In the mean time I PM symbiotic and ask if he's still interested as he hasn't said boo to me (still no PM reply) and I have another buyer interested in the same book. I even ask him if he's the email buyer. He doesn't reply to the question but he tells me he's going to think about the book and let me know.

The next day (yesterday) I get an email stating that they (the 2nd buyer) did not get the Paypal invoice and asked me to resend so that they could follow up by that late morning or early afternoon.

Well, lo and behold, the afternoon rolls around with nary a reply. The book happens to sell to another (3rd) buyer who I know is a serious buyer, and since I had no reply from the (2nd) email buyer (and symbiotic wasn't in a hurry to pull the trigger) I simply notified the 2nd buyer politely via email that the book has sold and is no longer available.

This is where it gets strange: Just an hour or two later (after I send the notification email that the book has sold) symbiotic removes himself from the PM without ever letting me know he's not interested in the book any more. I hadn't told him the book sold privately.

Now I don't care a bit and am not trying to make trouble but how did symbiotic know the book was sold if I didn't tell him....and why was the email buyer from Virginia?

:facepalm:

It's just got strange written all over it.

Or is it just me?

Not replying to PM's :screwy:

Someone else said the same thing about him

I don't think it's impossible to grade it with the restoration it has. CGC does it everyday. hm

You missed the important part where i said "me". :baiting:

+ CGC has the book in hand. For a restored book you really need to hold it and use a MG and light. You can't rely on scans.

Fair enough (thumbs u

Some people might remember that symbiotic posted a picture of a book that he said he owned on the boards. It was quickly recognised by the person who actually did own the book, another board member.

Symbiotic said he couldn't be bothered to scan his own book and so "borrowed" someone elses image.

There have been a few other comments which have also sounded "wrong". I'm surprised by how many people have been taken in by this thread.

Even if he didn't know it was restored (and i find that hard to believe), how could he possibly sell that book as a VF+ to VF/NM?

Look like a VG/FN maybe a FN+ at best even if you look past the obvious resto.

I don't really agree with that. The book looks like a 7.5 to me...

[Edit] Check out the PGM forum where the OP also posted this book. Others are in the same ballpark as me.

You cannot accurately grade a restored book from a scan. As hard as it is with unrestored books, it is absolutely impossible with restored books because a scan removes the three-dimensionally visible aspect of restoration that makes a book look good in a scan but like a Frankenbook in hand.

I've seen enough restored books to estimate that this book will grade closer to App. 5.0 than App. 7.5 though. App. 7.5 is a grade usually reserved only for the best, most invisible restoration and this book ain't it. Not even close.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to tell what grade the book is from the scan, especially with those small pics. It could look like an 8.0 or a 4.0 in hand.

The restoration is clearly visible from a distance though.

Is the dealer Greg White?

I'm getting the feeling that this isn't a UK transaction.

Roy, did you see the giant scan of the book? It's very easy to see the resto and the potential grade of the book.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5805890#Post5805890

Is Greg White known to sell restored books without disclosure? He is going to be at a con this weekend and if that's the case...I will steer clear of his stuff.

Thanks

In his other thread it sounded like he bought it from a local store, but then I don't believe any of it anyway.

I think the boards are getting the pork sword and they don't know it yet.

I don't know the whole story either but I am getting kind of a funny feeling about this whole thing.

2 days ago I offered a book via PM in reply to a WTB post by symbiotic. He's the "1st buyer" in this story. He read the PM but did not reply.

A few hours later I get an email/offer on the same book (not through the boards) from someone I will call "2nd buyer". I replied, we went back and forth for nearly 2 days and nothing happened. After going back and forth for nearly 2 days he simply asked for a Paypal invoice and broke contact.

In the mean time I PM symbiotic and ask if he's still interested as he hasn't said boo to me (still no PM reply) and I have another buyer interested in the same book. I even ask him if he's the email buyer. He doesn't reply to the question but he tells me he's going to think about the book and let me know.

The next day (yesterday) I get an email stating that they (the 2nd buyer) did not get the Paypal invoice and asked me to resend so that they could follow up by that late morning or early afternoon.

Well, lo and behold, the afternoon rolls around with nary a reply. The book happens to sell to another (3rd) buyer who I know is a serious buyer, and since I had no reply from the (2nd) email buyer (and symbiotic wasn't in a hurry to pull the trigger) I simply notified the 2nd buyer politely via email that the book has sold and is no longer available.

This is where it gets strange: Just an hour or two later (after I send the notification email that the book has sold) symbiotic removes himself from the PM without ever letting me know he's not interested in the book any more. I hadn't told him the book sold privately.

Now I don't care a bit and am not trying to make trouble but how did symbiotic know the book was sold if I didn't tell him....and why was the email buyer from Virginia?

:facepalm:

It's just got strange written all over it.

Or is it just me?

Not replying to PM's :screwy:

Someone else said the same thing about him

That was Garry about the UK PM

I'd still like to know which walk-in comic shop in the UK has a $10,000 book on its wall.

I'm not going to out the dealer or the shop, especially with the fact that they've offered me a refund. Not my style.

Some people might remember that symbiotic posted a picture of a book that he said he owned on the boards. It was quickly recognised by the person who actually did own the book, another board member.

Symbiotic said he couldn't be bothered to scan his own book and so "borrowed" someone elses image.

There have been a few other comments which have also sounded "wrong". I'm surprised by how many people have been taken in by this thread.

Obviously we did not know the history. I wonder if he was trying to fob the book off on an unsuspecting board member after he bought it? Fat chance now. lol

I'd still like to know which walk-in comic shop in the UK has a $10,000 book on its wall.

Dark They Were And Golden Eyed.

Well, I meant one that was still open lol

Unreal. Why does this forum attract so many bottom feeders?

I'm not going to out the dealer or the shop, especially with the fact that they've offered me a refund. Not my style.

You didn't out the guy when he said he wouldn't give a refund as well. Which is it?

My apologies for not replying to everyone's PMs. Its nothing more than my laziness to reply to everyone. I will from now on.

There's no need for the cloak and dagger stuff. All you need to be is upfront to be accepted.

All this cloak and dagger stuff is just going to blow up in your face.

Are you bodie?

Fair enough - but was there a particular reason why he wanted to complete the transaction in dollars instead of sterling?

A few years ago I was in London and went into GOSH, they had a very nice looking Hulk #1 high up on the wall, I asked if I could have a look at it up close and was told it was only a photocopy to make it look like they had decent stock. :tonofbricks:

A few years ago I was in London and went into GOSH, they had a very nice looking Hulk #1 high up on the wall, I asked if I could have a look at it up close and was told it was only a photocopy to make it look like they had decent stock. :tonofbricks:

lol

Fair enough - but was there a particular reason why he wanted to complete the transaction in dollars instead of sterling?

I converted it to Dollars because most people here are from the states.