• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fellow Boardies Help, Is my ASM 1 Restored?

678 posts in this topic

Sigh... no one to blame but myself here. I brought a few people along with me, but no one seemed to spot what ya'll are seeing.

What route should I go now? CGC, and sell as restored, or attempt to have Matt work some magic? Or just keep the book unslabbed as a memory of my failures as a collector.

Yeah seems like I got completely hosed on this one... Dealer has been in the business 30 years, and against my better judgement I bought it at around GPA.

Returns are unlikely at this point.

Gah... almost wants me want to give up this hobby for a bit.

:facepalm:

we've all been burned at some point.

If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

get in slowly until you can learn to swim and until then, buy slabbed books.

Yeah seems like I got completely hosed on this one... Dealer has been in the business 30 years, and against my better judgement I bought it at around GPA.

Returns are unlikely at this point.

Gah... almost wants me want to give up this hobby for a bit.

Why would you purchase it if neither of you were certain about the resto?

If I had been unsure, you've got to let them know you plan on sending the book to CGC and if it comes back with resto, you want a refund (less the CGC fees). If they don't agree, don't buy the book. They didn't have any kind of return policy? It sounds like you just got the book in the mail. Usually any legit seller will have a 7-day or something like that.

This isn't some $100 middle-of-the-run-book. It's a mega-key. I imagine you spent quite a bit of $$$ on this one.

Sorry for you. I'd contact the dealer.

First off, don't blame yourself, though if you are going to jump into the deep end of the pool, you really should know how to swim first. Spotting Resto takes years (and sometimes thousands of dollars) worth of experience. That's why CGC is around, and still so valuable despite their occasional flaws. I really don't know what you have into the book, so its hard to ascertain whether it would be worthwhile to try and slab and resell. If sent to CGC, my guess is that it would get a 5.0-6.0 grade, with Moderate to Extensive Amateur resto. I'm not sure what comparable copies like that go for, but you may want to check GPA.

As for the dealer with 30 years of experience, did he sell this book to you as unrestored? You said you paid close to GPA for it, but also indicated early on you thought it was an 8.0? I hope you didn't pay CGC 8.0 type money for it, and if you did, you really need to contact the seller and make sure he does right by you.

Or, you can out him on the boards before he's had a chance to make ammends...the Local 58 Pitchfork Brigade has your back.

I went against my better judgement, paid in cash, and did about everything wrong I could have.

He'd been a stand up guy until now, sold me a 8.5 Raw ASM 129 and a 9.0 Hulk 181 Raw at under GPA.

He told me that there would be no refunds on this, as he's selling it to me as is, and that if I don't buy it he was going to send it off to CGC himself, realizing that it "probably wasn't restored" and he wasn't sure what he was thinking when originally pricing it.

Unfortunately, there appear to be a number of pieces added and some quite poor color touch.

Before you do anything else, I'd contact the dealer and tell him you believe the book to be restored and see what he says.

You're assuming too much time has passed for a refund or credit but many of the best dealers will stand behind their books years down the line. (thumbs u

He told me that there would be no refunds on this, as he's selling it to me as is, and that if I don't buy it he was going to send it off to CGC himself, realizing that it "probably wasn't restored" and he wasn't sure what he was thinking when originally pricing it.

He knew it was restored then. Out him.

I went against my better judgement, paid in cash, and did about everything wrong I could have.

He'd been a stand up guy until now, sold me a 8.5 Raw ASM 129 and a 9.0 Hulk 181 Raw at under GPA.

Wel that all sounds very fishy too me (shrug) Didn't the alarm bells ring when he said no returns etc?

How long ago did you buy it, What grade was it sold at, 8.0? and who was the dealer? UK?

I'm usually not for outing dealers etc but on this occasion I think you need to :facepalm:

Based on the larger image of the inside front cover, I'd guess trimming as well. Man that thing is jagged.

Sorry

If sent to CGC, my guess is that it would get a 5.0-6.0 grade

What defects made you peg it that low? Looks closer to 7.0/7.5.

CGC normally kills restored SA books for technical grade, at least, that's been my experience.

Did either of you think that edge looks trimmed? It looks like someone took scissors to it to me

From the inside, it certainly does. Not from scissors--it looks worse due to the size of the scan--but from someone using at least 2-3 different swipes down the edge, such as by stopping and starting again a few times using a paper cutter or some sort of sharp knife pressed against a straight edge. It's hard to see that same pattern from the outside scan so I'm not sure of it though.

Wel that all sounds very fishy too me (shrug) Didn't the alarm bells ring when he said no returns etc?

How long ago did you buy it, What grade was it sold at, 8.0? and who was the dealer? UK?

I'm usually not for outing dealers etc but on this occasion I think you need to :facepalm:

Everything rang bells man, but I was just excited about the chance to pick up a 7.0-8.0 spidey at 10k. Like others said I tried to swim in the deep end before I could swim at all, and drowned.

E-mailed the dealer, but I doubt I can get a refund. He's been a stand up guy till now, and I don't want to out him.

This is just a very expensive learning lesson, and one that might take me out of the hobby for a bit.

CGC normally kills restored SA books for technical grade, at least, that's been my experience.

Why do you think they'd downgrade resto when the apparent grade seems much higher--do you have any example scans? I only own one CGC book with piece replacement and color touch similar to this one and they didn't hammer it at all, but I'm sure you've seen far more examples than I have.

ff3.jpg

Everything rang bells man, but I was just excited about the chance to pick up a 7.0-8.0 spidey at 10k. Like others said I tried to swim in the deep end before I could swim at all, and drowned.

E-mailed the dealer, but I doubt I can get a refund. He's been a stand up guy till now, and I don't want to out him.

This is just a very expensive learning lesson, and one that might take me out of the hobby for a bit.

No. You need to demand the refund.

If he's as stand-up as you say he is, you'll get the refund.

It's odd he said "as is". He knew it was restored.

If he won't give you the refund, out him.

That all sounds pike a guy who knows exactly what he had and reeled in the fish before glut got away.

Sorry to hear it. Go talk to him about a refund.