• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turnaround time hopes and dreams

131 posts in this topic

PLEASE do something about this. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

How about they just don't slab books with overhand/overflash? confused-smiley-013.gif

Might keep them from grading most Marvels from the early 60s, wouldn't it?

Maybe they should just design an inner well that hugs a book like a mylar, rather than butting against it like the current design does. If engineers can design a spaceship to put a man on the moon, then I have to think someone can design a comic book holder that won't damage a comic book. (Notwithstanding the fact that there are already holders that can do so.)

news.gifWe work on or think about this EVERY day. There are NO holders that the comic cannot get damaged in that is tamper evident. Look at the fortress, how many books have had the spine split because it was too tight? Look at cgg they have a holder that is 2 pieces of pvc put together, this means when/if the comic is dropped, it will hold the cover to the pvc interior shell, but the interior of the comic will rip off the staples, same with the fortress. I have seen this happen first hand. Look at threepg, you can twist the outer holder without trying to and you can poke the "interior" part and damage the comic since it is only "framed" on the outside edges. If you drop a mylard comic, ship it poorly, or have a flood, you might get the same or probably get less protection than from our holder. If someone can design a better holder, please let me know since we have talked to some of the best designers in the world and they have turned this project down or failed to deliver on what they said they could do. I promise, you will be well rewarded

sign-rantpost.gif

flowerred.gif

sign-offtopic.gifRe: Turnaround time hopes and dreams

I think you post in the wrong place wink.gifbooks damaged in the slab

Steve, thanks for the update on THAT situation. But I think what is on more people's minds is the turnaround situation. I'm sure it is irritating to you guys as you are probably working yourselves to the bone, putting in plenty of overtime and all that, and here we are ungrateful and person_without_enough_empathyin' about late product. I'd probably feel that way if I were you.

However, you do have a stated turnaround "estimate" and you are way off, and continue to be way off. Can you let us know what is going on or when things will noticably change? I for one, and many more it appears, are holding off on sending you more books, along with more money. Small dealers like me, and large dealers count on your product for producing income, so this is really affecting us. Please don't force some of us to give business to competitors like CGG or 3PG because your superior product is unavailable. Thanks, we are counting on you, and support you, but at the same time we are getting fed up with the situation. Thanks Steve, ------Sid

I don't understand all the person_without_enough_empathying. EVERYBODY on the board was either at Philly or had a chance to send books to somebody GOING to Philly, where CGC did on-site grading. CGC is also doing on-site grading in Chicago and a couple of other shows this summer season. Just take your books there, drop them off, and get them back the next day. I probably did 30 books all told in Philly, plus 50 of Greggy's. No fuss, no muss. Its worth not having a discount.

person_without_enough_empathying? Are you kidding? You know, although the on-site grading thing is one option, it is alot more expensive at $40 per Economy as compared to $23.20 w/discount. Not to mention that you are then stuck in Chicago either having to pack your suitcase with fragile books or spend more money to ship them home. And if it is alot of books then that can add up. I'll be bringing five or so to Chicago. I'd send in 15 Economys right now, along with 30 or 60 Moderns if the turnaround was anything close to what is advertised. On-site grading is NOT the solution. PLUS, they "sell out" at some point from what I have heard, and cannot always get your books back in time for the end of the show in some cases. ----Sid

Drop your books off Friday morning, you're guaranteed to have them back. I'm flipping books, so the $16.80 out of my pocket to be able to sell the book while there is still demand for it is CLEARLY worth the cost for economy. For post-1975 books, on-site grading is without a doubt the way to go. For an extra $4 per book, you can have your books almost instantly. Its a total no-brainer.

How about they just don't slab books with overhand/overflash? confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe they should just design an inner well that hugs a book like a mylar, rather than butting against it like the current design does. If engineers can design a spaceship to put a man on the moon, then I have to think someone can design a comic book holder that won't damage a comic book. (Notwithstanding the fact that there are already holders that can do so.)

news.gifWe work on or think about this EVERY day. There are NO holders that the comic cannot get damaged in that is tamper evident. Look at the fortress, how many books have had the spine split because it was too tight? Look at cgg they have a holder that is 2 pieces of pvc put together, this means when/if the comic is dropped, it will hold the cover to the pvc interior shell, but the interior of the comic will rip off the staples, same with the fortress. I have seen this happen first hand. Look at threepg, you can twist the outer holder without trying to and you can poke the "interior" part and damage the comic since it is only "framed" on the outside edges. If you drop a mylard comic, ship it poorly, or have a flood, you might get the same or probably get less protection than from our holder. If someone can design a better holder, please let me know since we have talked to some of the best designers in the world and they have turned this project down or failed to deliver on what they said they could do. I promise, you will be well rewarded

sign-rantpost.gif

flowerred.gif

Considering I'm am now a member of the "unemployed", I'll get right on this new misison.

they really need a saluting graemlin

Considering I'm am now a member of the "unemployed", I'll get right on this new misison.

14_1_107v.gif

Thank you beyonder! You're my new hero! grin.gif

Drop your books off Friday morning, you're guaranteed to have them back. I'm flipping books, so the $16.80 out of my pocket to be able to sell the book while there is still demand for it is CLEARLY worth the cost for economy. For post-1975 books, on-site grading is without a doubt the way to go. For an extra $4 per book, you can have your books almost instantly. Its a total no-brainer.

Mr. Krispy Kreme, hey I'm a fellow dolphin too. And I agree that on-site is a good option for a few books, or maybe even one submission's worth. If you go to two on-site cons you can do double. But I am talking about an entire year's worth of books here. For me that equates to maybe 200 or so depending on turnaround times. So on-site grading only solves a small portion of the problem, and it is not an option at all for those who do not send in books valued high enough to justify the added cost. Besides, with the discount it is an extra $8 per Modern. $8 times 30 is another $240 for a full Modern submission. Alot of money for the mini-dealer or casual collector. The only books that justify me paying $40 instead of $23.20 are for my highest dollar books. I certainly would not spend $40 to grade a book I can sell for $100 or less. Might as well sell it raw. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif -----Sid

14_1_107v.gif

Thank you beyonder! You're my new hero! grin.gif

He's always been my Hero!

Davidking623

4_13_6.gif

The backlog is probably due to modern [!@#%^&^] being sent in by the truckloads.

That would work everyone graded everything. They don't. There are modern guys and there are vintage guys. For example, during a typical week at work I imagine the only moderns Steve touches are those on his weekly pull list.

For a long time Modern was on time (or even ahead of schedule) at the same time Economy was months behind.

The backlog is probably due to modern [!@#%^&^] being sent in by the truckloads.

That would work everyone graded everything. They don't. There are modern guys and there are vintage guys. For example, during a typical week at work I imagine the only moderns Steve touches are those on his weekly pull list.

For a long time Modern was on time (or even ahead of schedule) at the same time Economy was months behind.

I can't remember, but I think Steve said at one of the dinners that he grades Moderns that are 9.9 or 10.0 candidates. Of course this might have changed with the addition of the pre-screen process and hiring more pre-graders.

Well they have West in there learning the ropes and should be coming around big time by now! They are in the process of hiring a New Grader! That happens things will certainly turn around! It will happen in my opinion! Give these guys a chance they are making strides! THINK POSITIVE! BE POSITIVE! THINK GREAT POSITIVE THINGS AND IT WILL HAPPEN! Give them till the end of Jan. and I think we will all be surprised! cloud9.gifacclaim.gif

Davidking623

Well they have West in there learning the ropes and should be coming around big time by now! They are in the process of hiring a New Grader! That happens things will certainly turn around! It will happen in my opinion! Give these guys a chance they are making strides! THINK POSITIVE! BE POSITIVE! THINK GREAT POSITIVE THINGS AND IT WILL HAPPEN! Give them till the end of Jan. and I think we will all be surprised! cloud9.gifacclaim.gif

Davidking623

Class Action!

Davidking623

To get back on track, they'll need more than just West. They'll need to work on East, North, and South as well. Cover ALL the bases.

Davidking623

To get back on track, they'll need more than just West. They'll need to work on East, North, and South as well. Cover ALL the bases.

sign-funnypost.gif

popcorn.gif So? How about temporarily reducing the price of standard to that of economy, until you get back on schedule? Cause we're getting economy service when we pay for standard.

How about they just don't slab books with overhang/overflash? confused-smiley-013.gif

I still can't see a design that would protect a book with overhang - there will always be a weak point for those books and high potential for damage if the book slides, even in mylar; if you immobilize the book, you would have to be putting pressure on the book that may cause other side damage that otherwise wouldn't happen if that pressure wasn't there; like possibly pressing the edge of the book against the overhang of the cover thus causing a bend that inevitably will turn into a crease.

Point is, even if the book did not slide, the actual restraints may be causing unseen damage on another part of the book; like those wedges, ever think how hard they are pressing on the book? Or if you stack the comic against it, what is pressing up against it? They may help a LOT, but they are not the catch-all...