• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turnaround time hopes and dreams

131 posts in this topic

Might I suggest that when lag times are so horrendous, CGC only require a "deposit" on the grading fee, with the balance due after the books are graded? confused-smiley-013.gif

Others have suggested that CGC not charge for the books until they're ready to be sent out, but I don't agree with that as there are costs associated with receiving, storing, and initial processing prior to the actual grading process. With nothing upfront, CGC could lose out on a mass submitter that decides after 3 months they don't want to have their books graded after all.

Dealers by the truckload just look on ebay for any comci that can out 3 weeks ago. Stop the prescreens on modern week old comics 893frustrated.gif

The problem with modern submissions is that the profit margin is so low on each book submitted that the only way to make the numbers game on modern subs make economic sense is to grade tons of moderns. I obviously don't have the breakdown on what the profit margin is for a pre-screen book that fails to pass the screening, but if the full modern graded book results in a dollar profit margin per graded book, I have to imagine that the pre-screen fee (which does not require encapsulation or full grading for the book -- probably just a quick look to see if it passes the pre-screen level) adds nicely to the modern grading service profit margin and allows CGC to keep the prices on modern submissions as low as they are now for those who don't use the pre-screen. If they didn't do this, the price of grading moderns (meaning all comics from 1975 to present!!!) would be so high that it wouldn't be economically feasible to get many books graded.

The grading delays are about lack of manpower and high demand. CGC is obviously doing something to increase capacity, but I don't want them just hiring anyone off the street to grade my comics. That's how 9.6s get graded as 9.2s for chrissakes. They need to train new people to grade consistently with everyone else, even if the new person is already an expert grader.

I hate the long wait times, and unfortunately I don't think that's going to change anytime soon. I don't see a quick fix for this problem. (I agree that CGC should revise its time estimates so that people are not misled though.)

Hopefully I'm wrong and they can get the backlog cleared quickly, but I doubt it. I think that the natural consequence of all of this is that CGC is going to lose some business to CGG and 3PG. To be honest, I am ok with that because I'd rather have them lose some business to CGG and 3PG than hire a bunch of people who don't know what they're doing, start grading extremely erratically and inconsistently, and have the value that the public places in CGC's service eroded. And if the increase in CGG's and 3PG's revenues allows those companies to run their companies more like real businesses with accountability (and restoration experts who know what the hell they're doing), then the professional grading market itself will be healthier for it.

Keep Dreaming!

I'll wait til some of this gold rush is quited down by all of these hot marvel flicks

before I submit. Almost a year waiting list for grading is retarded!

I'll be happy snaggin' a CGC book of the bay every now and then until the smoke clears.

In all honesty, nobody is certain that there isn't going to be a crash that would send graded books to the level where they'll be selling at OverStreet Prices.

Who knows. It might be more tempting if they had faster turnaround without paying rush fees.

The grading delays are about lack of manpower and high demand. CGC is obviously doing something to increase capacity, but I don't want them just hiring anyone off the street to grade my comics. That's how 9.6s get graded as 9.2s for chrissakes. They need to train new people to grade consistently with everyone else, even if the new person is already an expert grader.

So true.

CGC needs to have a separate of staff(subsidiary) that does prescreens. The convention drop offs and prescreening are killing the turnaround time. In spite of that I still think they are incredible in their grading and quality of materials.

Unfortunately, CGC has no serious competition right now. How fast do you think the turnaround times would drop if there was another high quality grading company on the scene right now, offering real competition?

Answer: Very, very fast.

gestation.jpg

Yeah Red, that is a little disturbing, but in all fairness to CGC, their turnaround times are only estimates

27_laughing.giftonofbricks.gif

Turnaround times were getting better, then CGC started grading magazines. 893frustrated.gifinsane.gif

Magazine turnaround times are great, by the way! I got back my magazine economy submission in about a month. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Different graders

Yeah Red, that is a little disturbing, but in all fairness to CGC, their turnaround times are only estimates

I think we are a little beyond estimates here wouldn't you say? They say 40 days estimate, I can deal with 50. But 80? Forget it. Don't get me wrong, I know they are working hard and putting in the OT. But as Red and so many others have suggested before, they should be offering up free grading coupons for late books. THAT would be good business, it would show us that they care about us NOW, and it would deliver good will.

I imagine that what is going on is that they are letting the short term suffer for the benefit of the long term health of the company. It may backfire, or it may be the right thing to do. I don't know. But in the meantime, they really ought to show a little more concern for us now. Heck, I've got a pile of very nice Moderns that I am holding back on from submitting to CGC. But I just cannot do it just yet.

I dunno, maybe I am not justified in complaining as they do not have any of my books right now. But let me tell ya', if there was some kind of compensation for the late books then they would have already received two or three submissions of 30 from me recently. But that would get them even MORE behind. Kind of a Catch-22 if ya' ask me. -------Sid

Unfortunately, CGC has no serious competition right now. How fast do you think the turnaround times would drop if there was another high quality grading company on the scene right now, offering real competition?

Answer: Very, very fast.

True, but quality would suffer. confused-smiley-013.gif

I realize that SD probably took a lot out of y'all, but could someone >please< update the Services (turnaround time) web page.

Outlook just popped up a new reminder to expect the books I submitted in mid-April today.

So, I took a look and the web page hasn't been updated for 10 days.

I figure you made some kind of headway during that time, right?

Again, he's asking those rhetorical questions... he just doesn't get it.

Thanks

Larry

I realize that SD probably took a lot out of y'all, but could someone >please< update the Services (turnaround time) web page.

Outlook just popped up a new reminder to expect the books I submitted in mid-April today.

Thanks

Larry

sorry.gif

The page should be updated today or Monday. San Diego threw us for a loop.

Thanks

Larry

Your books should be graded and the grades available on-line if they were moderns... gossip.gif