• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turnaround time hopes and dreams

131 posts in this topic

Pre-screens is the killer

They should stop this service on Modern(week old books)

Didn't Steve say a while ago that the holdup was in encapsulation?

He might have said that but it can't be true. My books from March 23 were just graded a couple of days ago and then sent to be encapsualted.

Moderns?

yes

Cool, my books got there on the 25th, just two days after yours. Based on the way time works down in Sarasota, that means I've only got another two months left to wait insane.gif

Pre-screens is the killer

They should stop this service on Modern(week old books)

Didn't Steve say a while ago that the holdup was in encapsulation?

He might have said that but it can't be true. My books from March 23 were just graded a couple of days ago and then sent to be encapsualted.

It is possible (though I admit I'm guessing) that they just aren't grading books until encapsulation can take them? confused-smiley-013.gif Though from the sounds of things and the absence of CGC graders on these boards lately, it doesn't seem like they have a lot of slack time so maybe the holdup really is in grading. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Every department is backed up, including grading. Every one has a lot of work to do and we are all working very hard. Well, except West. insane.gif

We are training new people in every department, which takes a while and slows down the people that are training them. We also should have some exciting news for you about a new grader in a couple of weeks. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

hi.gif

Every department is backed up, including grading. Every one has a lot of work to do and we are all working very hard. Well, except West. insane.gif

We are training new people in every department, which takes a while and slows down the people that are training them. We also should have some exciting news for you about a new grader in a couple of weeks. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

hi.gif

Is he someone we know? shocked.gif

As an aside, Paul, I really think you guys need to rethink the design of your inner well. It is absolutely KILLING some early silver age Marvels with overflash, many of which can move around in the inner well and bang into the well walls and result in bent overflash. The AF#15 that I bought from the recent Heritage auction has inner well edge impact damage along the top and bottom edges in the exact shape as the inner well walls. Thankfully it's a low grade book so it doesn't impact the value or grade, but on a higher grade book, it would be deadly. Just ask West about his experiences with this.

PLEASE do something about this. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

The AF#15 that I bought from the recent Heritage auction has inner well edge impact damage along the top and bottom edges in the exact shape as the inner well walls.

Scans?

The AF#15 that I bought from the recent Heritage auction has inner well edge impact damage along the top and bottom edges in the exact shape as the inner well walls.

Scans?

I just got the book in the mail today so I haven't had a chance to scan it yet. Here is a link to the Heritage auction. Because of the way the brightness is turned way up on the Heritage scans, you can't see it as well on the back cover upper edge, which is where the worst of the bent overflash is. If you look very closely along the top edge of the back cover scan, you can sort of see where the bent overflash begins and ends (just look directly underneath the edge of the inner well). You can kind of see it on the bottom edge of the front cover (crumpling starts right where the inner well edge starts near the bottom spine, and goes about two inches along the bottom edge), though it looks a bit worse in person than it does in the scan. Hopefully my home scanner can do a better job of showing this. I'll try to post a scan tonight when I get home, but this'll have to do for now. AF#15 with slab damage link

hi.gif

sumo.gifpopcorn.gif

hi.gif

sumo.gifpopcorn.gif

slacker !! flowerred.gif

I don't understand all the person_without_enough_empathying. EVERYBODY on the board was either at Philly or had a chance to send books to somebody GOING to Philly, where CGC did on-site grading. CGC is also doing on-site grading in Chicago and a couple of other shows this summer season. Just take your books there, drop them off, and get them back the next day. I probably did 30 books all told in Philly, plus 50 of Greggy's. No fuss, no muss. Its worth not having a discount.

I find it interesting that with a backlog of books in process, CGC packs up the equipment, heads to Chicago and proceeds to provide next day service to convention goers. Not that I won't attempt to take advantage of this service...Just seems like they should be obligated to the customers that have been waiting 3 months. Or longer.

How about they just don't slab books with overhand/overflash? confused-smiley-013.gif

Might keep them from grading most Marvels from the early 60s, wouldn't it?

Maybe they should just design an inner well that hugs a book like a mylar, rather than butting against it like the current design does. If engineers can design a spaceship to put a man on the moon, then I have to think someone can design a comic book holder that won't damage a comic book. (Notwithstanding the fact that there are already holders that can do so.)

I don't understand all the person_without_enough_empathying. EVERYBODY on the board was either at Philly or had a chance to send books to somebody GOING to Philly, where CGC did on-site grading. CGC is also doing on-site grading in Chicago and a couple of other shows this summer season. Just take your books there, drop them off, and get them back the next day. I probably did 30 books all told in Philly, plus 50 of Greggy's. No fuss, no muss. Its worth not having a discount.

person_without_enough_empathying? Are you kidding? You know, although the on-site grading thing is one option, it is alot more expensive at $40 per Economy as compared to $23.20 w/discount. Not to mention that you are then stuck in Chicago either having to pack your suitcase with fragile books or spend more money to ship them home. And if it is alot of books then that can add up. I'll be bringing five or so to Chicago. I'd send in 15 Economys right now, along with 30 or 60 Moderns if the turnaround was anything close to what is advertised. On-site grading is NOT the solution. PLUS, they "sell out" at some point from what I have heard, and cannot always get your books back in time for the end of the show in some cases. ----Sid

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gifFlyingDonut you are 100% right. For a couple of bucks more you are getting Walkthur service at a quarter of the price.

Mark this date RS defending CGC's live grading 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

How about they just don't slab books with overhand/overflash? confused-smiley-013.gif

Might keep them from grading most Marvels from the early 60s, wouldn't it?

Maybe they should just design an inner well that hugs a book like a mylar, rather than butting against it like the current design does. If engineers can design a spaceship to put a man on the moon, then I have to think someone can design a comic book holder that won't damage a comic book. (Notwithstanding the fact that there are already holders that can do so.)

news.gifWe work on or think about this EVERY day. There are NO holders that the comic cannot get damaged in that is tamper evident. Look at the fortress, how many books have had the spine split because it was too tight? Look at cgg they have a holder that is 2 pieces of pvc put together, this means when/if the comic is dropped, it will hold the cover to the pvc interior shell, but the interior of the comic will rip off the staples, same with the fortress. I have seen this happen first hand. Look at threepg, you can twist the outer holder without trying to and you can poke the "interior" part and damage the comic since it is only "framed" on the outside edges. If you drop a mylard comic, ship it poorly, or have a flood, you might get the same or probably get less protection than from our holder. If someone can design a better holder, please let me know since we have talked to some of the best designers in the world and they have turned this project down or failed to deliver on what they said they could do. I promise, you will be well rewarded

sign-rantpost.gif

flowerred.gif

As long as we're talking about redesigns, CGC really needs to change the design of the Golden Age and Magazine holders! I've had 4 books delivered via priority mail with plenty of packing material, and 3 arrived cracked (and not just little cracks, but big cracks that would seriously hamper me selling the book). The case is VERY fragile and damages WAY too easily! sign-rantpost.gif

On-site grading is NOT the solution. PLUS, they "sell out" at some point from what I have heard, and cannot always get your books back in time for the end of the show in some cases. ----Sid

I got stuck in some traffic and got to the Philly show at about 10:55 and they were done taking subs for the day. The show started at 10:00. SO, if you are planning on doing this, get there EARLY and fast.