• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turnaround time hopes and dreams

131 posts in this topic

PLEASE do something about this. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

How about they just don't slab books with overhand/overflash? confused-smiley-013.gif

Might keep them from grading most Marvels from the early 60s, wouldn't it?

Maybe they should just design an inner well that hugs a book like a mylar, rather than butting against it like the current design does. If engineers can design a spaceship to put a man on the moon, then I have to think someone can design a comic book holder that won't damage a comic book. (Notwithstanding the fact that there are already holders that can do so.)

news.gifWe work on or think about this EVERY day. There are NO holders that the comic cannot get damaged in that is tamper evident. Look at the fortress, how many books have had the spine split because it was too tight? Look at cgg they have a holder that is 2 pieces of pvc put together, this means when/if the comic is dropped, it will hold the cover to the pvc interior shell, but the interior of the comic will rip off the staples, same with the fortress. I have seen this happen first hand. Look at threepg, you can twist the outer holder without trying to and you can poke the "interior" part and damage the comic since it is only "framed" on the outside edges. If you drop a mylard comic, ship it poorly, or have a flood, you might get the same or probably get less protection than from our holder. If someone can design a better holder, please let me know since we have talked to some of the best designers in the world and they have turned this project down or failed to deliver on what they said they could do. I promise, you will be well rewarded

sign-rantpost.gif

flowerred.gif

That's great that you guys think about it and it sounds like there is no easy solution that anyone has found. But could you at least PLEASE add the wedge spacers to any book that has "slosh room" inside the well? Sometimes it is just the acceleration of the comic from one end of the well to the other that results in the worst banging damage inside the slab. With wedges to hold the book in more snugly, perhaps the book wouldn't have room to slosh around in the slab.

PLEASE do something about this. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

How about they just don't slab books with overhang/overflash? confused-smiley-013.gif

Might keep them from grading most Marvels from the early 60s, wouldn't it?

Maybe they should just design an inner well that hugs a book like a mylar, rather than butting against it like the current design does. If engineers can design a spaceship to put a man on the moon, then I have to think someone can design a comic book holder that won't damage a comic book. (Notwithstanding the fact that there are already holders that can do so.)

I still can't see a design that would protect a book with overhang - there will always be a weak point for those books and high potential for damage if the book slides, even in mylar; if you immobilize the book, you would have to be putting pressure on the book that may cause other side damage that otherwise wouldn't happen if that pressure wasn't there; like possibly pressing the edge of the book against the overhang of the cover thus causing a bend that inevitably will turn into a crease.

Point is, even if the book did not slide, the actual restraints may be causing unseen damage on another part of the book; like those wedges, ever think how hard they are pressing on the book? Or if you stack the comic against it, what is pressing up against it? They may help a LOT, but they are not the catch-all...

I still think it's better to have a gradual V shaped edge to the interior than the 90 degree wall. Overhangs that bang into that will blunt no matter what, whereas with a V shaped edge you "might" have the interior of the book and the staples pop through the cover "if" you drop it from a great height or smash it around. Given a choice between commonly occurring damage from lesser impacts with a 90 degree well wall like CGCs and the reduced chance of the inner guts of the book ripping out in the event of severe slab trauma with a V shaped inner well wall, I'll take the latter every time.

popcorn.gif So? How about temporarily reducing the price of standard to that of economy, until you get back on schedule? Cause we're getting economy service when we pay for standard.

That’s Good Customer service. Why do this when you are King of the third party grading company’s. Let then eat cake or the new one Let them Wait, CGC is great.

CGC is realy lucky that CGG does not have their act together ( the resto thing and the inner well)

WoW!!,...I think this is the first thread I've read on here in a long time,...and there are a lot of good points,...I work in the customer service field myself,..and I listen to people beeyitch all day long, and in all that time I've learned one thing,....a little goodwill goes a loooong way....we've been patient for about 9 months now,....been told over and over that turn-arounds are getting better,...we are starting to catch up,...yadda-yadda,....well it's not,...it's getting worse...I don't even know what turnaround is on economies cause I gave up economy submissions when they hit 4 months....I'm now sitting on about 40 economies that I haven't had the guts to send in cause I don't want to fork over a thousand bucks and kiss my books goodbye,....and now moderns are going over three months a well.......so in light of everything said here,....yeah,..I think a couple of free submissions wouldn't kill you guys,......

At the very least, could someone from CGC please update the "Shipping as of" date on the Services page?

I mean, 6/15 was a while ago - and you must have made some kind of headway.

Right?

Oh, do I hate that silence at the end of rhetorical questions....

Larry

To say that their turnaround times are brutally frustrating is an understatement.

As for myself, when I submit books, I am very patient. I am only a collector, as I am always patiently searching for HG books to add to my collection, it does not affect me. I have about 150 books out there, and I dont plan on seeing them till I get back from Europe. On the other hand if you are a Seller of HG CGC books, I can see where that can affect your business. Having HG CGC books and "timing" is key to flipping books.

We all know they are the only real game in town as of now, but like most businesses out there, you have to constantly evolve to meet the demand, or eventually your business will suffer at some point.

Just my 2c.

i bought one of my first graded cards the other day and saw something from their case cgc should do. the well inside should have openings at all the 4 corners so the corners do not get folded down.out of the 1500 cgcs i have im starting to see this more and more where the corners are folding down.i love your product and just want to make it better. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

i love your product [and service] and just want to make it better.

As do we all. That's the message I hope Steve B. is taking here. This is plain old vanilla

consumer advocacy. Nothing more.

These boards are a great service provided by CGC. I hope they can take a little friendly heat once in a while.

I've said it before.....the benefits of these boards cut both ways. We get to chat......CGC gets the equivalent of the world's largest rolling focus group. I should set up a messageboard for all the art directors I sell to, so they can discuss how I could make my work more marketable. That would be of immeasurable value to any business.

I still think it's better to have a gradual V shaped edge to the interior than the 90 degree wall. Overhangs that bang into that will blunt no matter what, whereas with a V shaped edge you "might" have the interior of the book and the staples pop through the cover "if" you drop it from a great height or smash it around. Given a choice between commonly occurring damage from lesser impacts with a 90 degree well wall like CGCs and the reduced chance of the inner guts of the book ripping out in the event of severe slab trauma with a V shaped inner well wall, I'll take the latter every time.

Interestingly enough, some of the very early cgc slabs were exactly like what you're proposing, I wonder why they moved away from that in the first place. I used to have a hulk 1 that was submitted very early on that came back in a holder just as you describe.

Slow turnaround times for economy or moderns should not force you to pay more for a higher price service just to get books back in a realistic timeframe.

And onsite grading is not cheap. If every book I owned had a cost factor that a truck could run through I would be running up there with stacks. And quite frankly doesn't anybody question why I should pay $75 for a book that sells for $1000? 7.5% cost added to the books cost, now granted if you got a 9.4 on a book that was raw you win, however if you get a 8.5 you lose. 9.0 - 9.2 you pretty much are breaking even.

At this point, I'm actually rooting for CGG a bit because CGC needs some real competition, if it's not already apparent. Whether or not CGG will become the #2 that will share the market with CGC remains to be seen, but make no mistake about it, there will come a day when submitters have a viable option and the notion of having to wait 4 months for a comic to be graded would be laughable. sign-rantpost.gif

Turnaround times were getting better, then CGC started grading magazines. 893frustrated.gifinsane.gif

Magazine turnaround times are great, by the way! I got back my magazine economy submission in about a month. 893applaud-thumb.gif