• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Heritage / Pedigree Schmell Collection Auction has ended...

508 posts in this topic

I can understand both POVs but how much potential overgrade are we talking about? .2 or .4 at best IMO as from that pic the chipping does look very minor indeed. Based on the scan I'd have guessed 9.2 or even 9.4, its not like its a 7.0 with major chunks out and a complete grading travesty.

As an aside, I do find that books with superior color, gloss, and other attributes with a single sharp defect or two (an easy to see spine stress, a tiny chip etc) seem to look worse in scans because all you see in the scan is that sharp defect, you don't see all the positive attributes unless in hand. That's not necessarily a comment on this book in particular as I have no idea what it looks like in hand.

Given that the book looks like a 9.8 otherwise, it could be that CGC downgraded only .2 for the chipping, which they're often lenient on since it's a production defect rather than a handling defect.

To each his own -- I would buy it if the price were right! (But it won't be... :kidaround:)

Dan

I can't accept chipping on a 9.6 sorry. Yes it's a great looking comic but no way with those chips would I give it a 9.6

If that big chip falls off...no way it's a 9.2

well, here's the beauty of it. You don't need to buy it.

Yes, we know that (thumbs u

I won't be buying that copy.

What I'm discussing is if it really warrants a 9.6 grade. If you think so, that's cool.

I don't see a 9.6. Maybe 9.2

I don't own many 9.6 slabs but do have 9.4s and I haven't seen that significant a defect on any of them.

I can understand both POVs but how much potential overgrade are we talking about? .2 or .4 at best IMO as from that pic the chipping does look very minor indeed. Based on the scan I'd have guessed 9.2 or even 9.4, its not like its a 7.0 with major chunks out and a complete grading travesty.

As an aside, I do find that books with superior color, gloss, and other attributes with a single sharp defect or two (an easy to see spine stress, a tiny chip etc) seem to look worse in scans because all you see in the scan is that sharp defect, you don't see all the positive attributes unless in hand. That's not necessarily a comment on this book in particular as I have no idea what it looks like in hand.

I agree 100%.

well, here's the beauty of it. You don't need to buy it.

Yes, we know that (thumbs u

I won't be buying that copy.

What I'm discussing is if it really warrants a 9.6 grade. If you think so, that's cool.

I don't see a 9.6. Maybe 9.2

I don't own many 9.6 slabs but do have 9.4s and I haven't seen that significant a defect on any of them.

There are some books where chipping is very common (very small chips, not major ones) and they are common even on CGC 9.6 copies. JIM #112 is one of them.

With that old serial number, at least it can't be said that the grade is a gift of the recent grading trend.

Very true, it was graded 8 years ago. Perhaps the pedigree designation had some sway?

There was plenty of overgrading back then as well depending on the cycle. I had a Batman #260 with two small color breaking creases in the bottom right corner of the front cover come back as 9.4, but similar condition 100 pagers in the same lot came back 9.0 and 9.2. I had other fugly for the grade old label submissions as well, which is why you still need to pay attention when buying the old labels now. CGC was very strict to start with, loosened up a bit, then tightened things up again. The cycle has been the same since day one.

With that old serial number, at least it can't be said that the grade is a gift of the recent grading trend.

Very true, it was graded 8 years ago. Perhaps the pedigree designation had some sway?

There was plenty of overgrading back then as well depending on the cycle. I had a Batman #260 with two small color breaking creases in the bottom right corner of the front cover come back as 9.4, but similar condition 100 pagers in the same lot came back 9.0 and 9.2. I had other fugly for the grade old label submissions as well, which is why you still need to pay attention when buying the old labels now. CGC was very strict to start with, loosened up a bit, then tightened things up again. The cycle has been the same since day one.

I guess so. You are paying for an opinion, not something set in stone.

That opinion is subject to fluctuation, subjectivity, human error, all sorts of factors really.

I guess so. You are paying for an opinion, not something set in stone.

That opinion is subject to fluctuation, subjectivity, human error, all sorts of factors really.

Definitely. The key is being able to identify "softer" grading patches and submit as many books as possible during that window! lol

My catalog came in the mail today!!! :banana:

So freaking awesome I can't even put it into words!!! :cloud9:

I just skimmed thru it with my son and told him all of them belong to the same guy. He looked at me and said "WHOA!!! He must be rich!!!" lol

Today was my first day off since the auction started and I've got to say that this is one of the strongest offerings of any Comic auction I've seen yet.....unless you collect early SA D.C. books. Other than that it's astounding. This will give us a good indicator of just how strong and deep the market really is. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

i pity the poor Marvel gatherer; us savvy DC collectors don't have to be concerned with things like: too many books, too little $, another better copy coming down the pike next week. this month in Heritage and Clink i bid on two books- oh, the excitement never wanes.

Seriously, this auction reinforces how boring it must be to collect SA Marvels. Want to put together what would be the best or 2nd best runs of Avengers, JIM/Thor, TOS, TTA, Strange Tales, X-Men and Daredevil? Just write a big check in 3 weeks. That's literally all it takes.

Networking, hustling, detective work? Bah, that's for the little people! Just put in the bids from the air-conditioned comfort of your home, withdraw some money from the trust fund, and voila! Mission accomplished!

You lost me there.

You're forgetting about the challenge of being poor.

My catalog came in the mail today!!! :banana:

So freaking awesome I can't even put it into words!!! :cloud9:

I just skimmed thru it with my son and told him all of them belong to the same guy. He looked at me and said "WHOA!!! He must be rich!!!" lol

You could have seen the catalog here on Monday. :gossip: I left the two small catalogs at my local barber when I got my hair cut, one of those was for Doug's collection. I took the big one home to fully check out. I noticed some "interesting" art in that one.

lol

I flipped thru the big one and somehow hit right on the page with the "interesting" art! I never knew HA auctioned off comics of guys getting bj's from hairy 300lb chicks! :o:sick::o

The "black out" box was SUPER ineffective also! Tilt it an 1/8th of an inch to the side and unfortunately you can see more than you'll ever want to! meh