• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics from your birth year

50 posts in this topic

Year overall

The Comics Code Authority revises the Code a number of times during the year. Initially "liberalized" on January 28, 1971, to allow for (among other things) the sometimes "sympathetic depiction of criminal behavior . . . [and] corruption among public officials" ("as long as it is portrayed as exceptional and the culprit is punished")[1] as well as permitting some criminal activities to kill law-enforcement officers and the "suggestion but not portrayal of seduction."

Also newly allowed were "vampires, ghouls and werewolves . . . when handled in the classic tradition such as Frankenstein, Dracula, and other high calibre literary works written by Edgar Allan Poe, Saki, Conan Doyle and other respected authors whose works are read in schools around the world." Zombies, lacking the requisite "literary" background, remain taboo.

Jack Kirby introduces his Fourth World series in a number of new DC titles— The Forever People, New Gods, and Mister Miracle — while continuing his run on Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen. Kirby writes and draws all four titles during the year.

Early in the year, DC Comics editorial director Carmine Infantino is promoted to publisher.

Bill Schanes and Steve Schanes co-found Pacific Comics, starting out as a mail-order company selling to consumers via ads in the Comics Buyer's Guide.

April

Mister Miracle #1 (DC Comics) First appearance of Mister Miracle

Aquaman (1962 series), with issue #56, is canceled by DC Comics.

Batman #232

+1 First app of Ra's :applause:

I'm a 1972 baby so there's a million and one crappo BA Marvel series that started that year. I do love buying books from 5/72, my birth month, for sure!

This is without question my absolute favorite! Total waste of money, Pedigree, BA drek to most but I love this book so much it's scary! Definitely in my top 5 favorite books I own :cloud9:

ap99.jpg

September 1969. Brave and Bold 85. The great Neal Adams re-vamps Green Arrow's costume.

A taste of thing to come in GL/GA a year or so later.