• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I think this SDCC announced product will tank...

44 posts in this topic

"Cruddie Torrain, Jason Adams and Nar"

I have never heard of these aritsts. If they are the biggest names they have to offer, then it will be a fail.

Seriously, who the heck are those guys? I buy about a dozen Marvels a month now and never heard of any of them.

Surely the Humberto Ramos chase card will be the grail.

http://almostnerdy.com/cool-stuff/artists-artwork/nerd-artist-jason-adams/

not worth 200$ per pack (to me), but I've seen some Jason Adams stuff around

he's got pretty cool ideas.

http://almostnerdy.com/cool-stuff/artists-artwork/nerd-artist-jason-adams/

not worth 200$ per pack (to me), but I've seen some Jason Adams stuff around

he's got pretty cool ideas.

That's almost as impressive as a can of Campbell's soup.

I really don't understand how this is classified as art.

I'd give it an F to make it "Fart."

$200 a pack.

$50 per card, and you have no idea what you're getting.

Good luck with that. (thumbs u

Being a football card collector along side of my x-men comic collection, I can tell you that Upper Deck is in serious Money trouble. They lost a mulit million dollar lawsuit in the past few years, Lost the NFL Contract, closed all of their retail stores, and is now looking to find ways to get out of going Bankrupt. I do not see Upper Deck Keeping a strong business over the next few years. They are pretty much starting to fall out of the big card producers. Panini and Topps are much more powerful, Comic cards are a small venue, compared to the big sports. Upper decks best selling products were NFL and MLB. Now they lost the NFL, they are and could loose the MLB due to the same practice that caused them to loose the NFL.

Please read up on what happened. It’s too much to explain here. But my opinion Upper Deck will not be around in the next 5 years. But I could be wrong. But they need to fix a lot of problems. Many people are still waiting on redemption cards from 5 years ago.

You're right. And I used to play the comic related game called Upper Deck VS which had contracts with Marvel and DC. Great game, but poorly managed in terms of organized play, marketing, brand management, redemptions. Eventually DC ended their contract and the game died. At the same time they lost a lawsuit and the rights to Yugi-oh (which many of you may not know was second only to Magic for a long long time and still might be).

Although I have seen some of the collectible sketch art cards in the past go for pretty high dollar amounts on ebay (3-5 yrs ago?), $50-90, even for artists that are seemingly less well known.

EIther way, I agree that they're boned and that this is a bad idea.

So what comes in a $200 pack of Marvel trading cards?

Bitterness, resentment, regret, defeat....

and that's the good part!

Being a football card collector along side of my x-men comic collection, I can tell you that Upper Deck is in serious Money trouble. They lost a mulit million dollar lawsuit in the past few years, Lost the NFL Contract, closed all of their retail stores, and is now looking to find ways to get out of going Bankrupt. I do not see Upper Deck Keeping a strong business over the next few years. They are pretty much starting to fall out of the big card producers. Panini and Topps are much more powerful, Comic cards are a small venue, compared to the big sports. Upper decks best selling products were NFL and MLB. Now they lost the NFL, they are and could loose the MLB due to the same practice that caused them to loose the NFL.

Please read up on what happened. It’s too much to explain here. But my opinion Upper Deck will not be around in the next 5 years. But I could be wrong. But they need to fix a lot of problems. Many people are still waiting on redemption cards from 5 years ago.

+1

And from what I heard just yesterday from a local collector, they lost the MLB license.

Upper Deck also lost a very lucrative Blizzard contract a couple years ago for the WoW TCG. On the MLB front they are still listed as having the MLBPA contract but it can not be easy to produce cards with no MLB trademarks or team names/logos on the cards.

Anyway you put bad business has killed UD.

So what comes in a $200 pack of Marvel trading cards?

Bitterness, resentment, regret, defeat....

and that's the good part!

lol

$200 for a pack of FOUR cards?!? :facepalm:

What genius greenlighted this idea??? If there are more than 5 people that would actually buy that, ill be SHOCKED!!!

Yeah, and people buy the Exquisite cards. High tier boxes for well over $200 a box with only a few packs exist and cater to a certain type of collector but I'm not that guy. Enjoy the one year of production, if it even makes it.

Doesn't Upper Deck own Cryptozoic? Cryptozoi is very popular with the Walking Dead License, not to mention Big Bang Theory, Fringe, and others.