• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men:Days of Future Past movie confirmed
1 1

2,131 posts in this topic

Spoiler Alert!

Why would mystique go to the effort to kill Trask in a room full of people when she knows her DNA will cause the end of the world? She could take over Trask's secretary and kill him when he comes back to the office. And when did Trask get a mutant locator?? I'd think the mutant problem would be easier to handle if a handheld device could detect them.

its not really shown, but perhaps her ORIGINAL plan was to kill everyone else in the room too, or to make a scene at the conference

Rarely does a superhero movie take the time to ensure that the moments of conflict come at the most logical (and character-driven) time. If Mystique really wanted to kill Trask, she could have very easily done so at any time with almost zero risk. Why go through all those hoops? Cause the movie needs action scenes with (created) character conflicts.

Same is true for any of these movies -- why attack Steve Rogers in an elevator when a SHIELD agent could just inject something like nerve gas into Cap's elevator and kill him (or some other such easy device). Because the movie needs action scenes. It's a fundamental flaw of the genre, perhaps.

Dan

Saw it last night and thought it was great - far superior to the original material.

Apart from the Sentinels - they were rubbish.

Well, thank GOD for H'Wood! Where would we be if it wasn't for them coming along and saving all this garbage from the comic books.

Yes, because that is exactly what it is all about.

From JB's site:

"Some day, when you have your life's worked upon by somebody who thinks he can do it better, i hope someone is there to tell you how great it is. "

That's kind of a bummer. I'd expect someone like John Byrne to have a much more thought-provoking and philosophical response to DOFP, especially with everyone looking at him for a reaction.

I get what he's saying, and I am 100% in agreement with how it feels, and I would absolutely feel the same way - I just don't think vocalizing it in that fashion paints yourself in a good light.

I'm guessing that in JB's comic book writing career he never messed around with anybody else's published comic work then?

I would say his relaunch of Superman was one of my favorites, though it involved major changes to the character and associated history (or returning back to the original history).

Byrne wrote Clark Kent as having a more aggressive and extroverted personality than previously depicted, even making him a top high-school football player. Byrne came up with explanations for how Superman’s disguise works, such as the public simply does not realize that he has a secret identity since he is unmasked, that Superman would vibrate his face via his super speed in order to blur his image to photographers, and having Kent keep a weight training set around to explain how the human and presumably weaker Kent could have a frame as massive as Superman’s. Byrne’s Superman felt that his deepest roots were on Earth, and that his home planet of "Krypton is anathema to him".

I wasn't a fan of the football player change as Clark realized early on he was different from the rest, and wanted to use those powers for good. Not for recognition in a sporting event.

Ah, goose and gander then.

'Selective Indignation' is the new B&W.

Wow.

Spoiler Alert!

Why would mystique go to the effort to kill Trask in a room full of people when she knows her DNA will cause the end of the world? She could take over Trask's secretary and kill him when he comes back to the office. And when did Trask get a mutant locator?? I'd think the mutant problem would be easier to handle if a handheld device could detect them.

its not really shown, but perhaps her ORIGINAL plan was to kill everyone else in the room too, or to make a scene at the conference

Rarely does a superhero movie take the time to ensure that the moments of conflict come at the most logical (and character-driven) time. If Mystique really wanted to kill Trask, she could have very easily done so at any time with almost zero risk. Why go through all those hoops? Cause the movie needs action scenes with (created) character conflicts.

Same is true for any of these movies -- why attack Steve Rogers in an elevator when a SHIELD agent could just inject something like nerve gas into Cap's elevator and kill him (or some other such easy device). Because the movie needs action scenes. It's a fundamental flaw of the genre, perhaps.

Dan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief

(thumbs u

Spoiler Alert!

Dan

(thumbs u

More spoilers!!!!!

I would say that for the purpose of this specific discussion, there's no evidence to suggest that Mystique INTENDED to kill Trask during this specific meeting. Perhaps she was in more of an espionage role trying to learn about plans, weapons, and other potential collaborators. But she was revealed, and flustered and decided to act. I don't think this is too unreasonable, ALTHOUGH I agree its a bit convenient. But I do feel like they thought about it at least a little bit.

I find it harder to believe that they didn't use Quicksilver more.

DOFP was a really good flick. I still can't figure out why, like in First Class, they felt the need to drop 1 completely out of place F bomb in the dialogue. It's so useless and will turn off a lot of parents. Also, I thought the Sentinels were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay advanced for the time period and overall bothersome compared to the books. Also, one issue:

How was Magneto able to control all of the Sentinels merely by having some metal intertwined in their systems? I can understand physically controlling them (making arms and legs move) but their firing systems and their computers? And he's able to control 8 of them at once while flying in a stadium and himself and fighting other people? That's stretching it.

Parents still get freaked out over F-bombs?

And how was it out of place?

It was cussing for cussing's sake. Lord knows, I'm no prude, but it felt completely out of place. My guess is the violence and the Wolvie butt shot could've garnered a PG-13, but it's like the F bomb was dropped in to make sure it got there. It serves no purpose in the film. Or at least, it serves little purpose. It served even less purpose in the XMFC movie.

I must have missed something. Are you referring to the scene where Wolverine shows up at the school and the Professor is doped up and delivers the same response Wolverine gave him ten yrs earlier?

Eh never mind Comicopolis addressed that above. Yea it wasn't completely necessary but I think he was trying to get his point across to Logan in the moment.

And watch First Class then it might make some sense

:facepalm: I DID watch First Class, thus the numerous references to First Class and my acknowledgement that, in DOFP, it might serve the kind of stupid point of tying the two times/movies together. My point is this: It wasn't needed in First Class and it wasn't needed here.

Spoiler Alert!

Dan

(thumbs u

More spoilers!!!!!

I would say that for the purpose of this specific discussion, there's no evidence to suggest that Mystique INTENDED to kill Trask during this specific meeting. Perhaps she was in more of an espionage role trying to learn about plans, weapons, and other potential collaborators. But she was revealed, and flustered and decided to act. I don't think this is too unreasonable, ALTHOUGH I agree its a bit convenient. But I do feel like they thought about it at least a little bit.

I don't think they could have used Quicksilver more. He could have ended almost all of the conflicts that followed with very little fuss.

Spoiler Alert!

Dan

(thumbs u

More spoilers!!!!!

I don't think they could have used Quicksilver more. He could have ended almost all of the conflicts that followed with very little fuss.

I think that's what I mean. From a movie perspective it might ruin the plot line. Just from a "I'm Professor X and I can make people do what I want" practical perspective, I feel like he could have sent him in at just the right time to steal Magento's helmet or whatever. The problem with using quicksilver at all in this movie is that it leaves the audience wanting more of him and wondering why he wasn't used more. Prof X was desperate enough to enlist to help him breakout the world's most dangerous and powerful mutant from the world's most fortified military installment, but wouldn't use him to keep Magneto from executing the president and his staff/security on live TV?

Just back from seeing it

Loved it!

Not sure what is my favorite part

Quicksilvers scenes, which have to be some of the best, if not thee best, superhero actions scenes I've ever witnessed.

Or getting to see iceman get killed not once, but twice.

Mystique was more crippled by that wound to the leg than I would have thought.

Considering how she jumps around during fights, she should have been able to hop away on one leg like a kangaroo.

DOFP was a really good flick. I still can't figure out why, like in First Class, they felt the need to drop 1 completely out of place F bomb in the dialogue. It's so useless and will turn off a lot of parents. Also, I thought the Sentinels were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay advanced for the time period and overall bothersome compared to the books. Also, one issue:

How was Magneto able to control all of the Sentinels merely by having some metal intertwined in their systems? I can understand physically controlling them (making arms and legs move) but their firing systems and their computers? And he's able to control 8 of them at once while flying in a stadium and himself and fighting other people? That's stretching it.

It was cussing for cussing's sake. Lord knows, I'm no prude, but it felt completely out of place. My guess is the violence and the Wolvie butt shot could've garnered a PG-13, but it's like the F bomb was dropped in to make sure it got there. It serves no purpose in the film. Or at least, it serves little purpose. It served even less purpose in the XMFC movie.

I must have missed something. Are you referring to the scene where Wolverine shows up at the school and the Professor is doped up and delivers the same response Wolverine gave him ten yrs earlier?

Eh never mind Comicopolis addressed that above. Yea it wasn't completely necessary but I think he was trying to get his point across to Logan in the moment.

:facepalm: I DID watch First Class, thus the numerous references to First Class and my acknowledgement that, in DOFP, it might serve the kind of stupid point of tying the two times/movies together. My point is this: It wasn't needed in First Class and it wasn't needed here.

Ok so in your opinion it was a stupid point to quote Wolverine in that moment even though it made sense. Got it

Ok so in your opinion it was a stupid point to quote Wolverine in that moment even though it made sense. Got it

You literally couldn't miss the point more if you tried. Here it is in a nutshell: "2 wrongs don't make a right." "Dropping the F bomb for no good reason, in a movie aimed at kids, is dumb." "Showing Wolvie's , for no good reason, was dumb." It doesn't serve any real purpose. That statement was more true in First Class. There is a WEAK argument that the F bomb here serves SOME purpose. But it's still a pointless exercise.

You literally couldn't miss the point more if you tried. Here it is in a nutshell: "2 wrongs don't make a right." "Dropping the F bomb for no good reason, in a movie aimed at kids, is dumb." "Showing Wolvie's , for no good reason, was dumb." It doesn't serve any real purpose. That statement was more true in First Class. There is a WEAK argument that the F bomb here serves SOME purpose. But it's still a pointless exercise.

I agree that swearing and nudity without purpose in movies has no place.

HOWEVER, I think in the First class movie, it swearing was A) funny, and B) meant to show that the 60's/70's wolverine wasn't really a nice guy not so cuddly and heroic and helpful or empathetic as the wolverine's we've seen in the 'earlier' movies. Especially in a movie, where there is no other swearing, it stands out more and makes for a more memorable scene.

In the DOFP, I agree the nudity is completely unnecessary, but the swearing does serve a point, to me at least. It shows how far gone the Professor is. It has more impact because their is no other swearing, and its VERY unprofessor-y, which I think is very much the point of the scene.

Could the scenes have been made in different ways? Probably, but that doesn't mean they were without merit.

Yippee Ki-Yay, Mr. Falcon!!!

Spoiler Alert!

Dan

(thumbs u

More spoilers!!!!!

Yeah, I saw a funny review that said, "Quciksilver was so effective and immediate in handling the impossible tasks he was given and overcoming the unforeseen obstacles he was presented with, they promptly sent him home afterwards and continued on their way." lol

Totally pointless.

In other words, when they change it for regular TV, it'll make absolutely no difference to the story or what happens whatsoever.

He'll say 'Shove off' and then in the next movie Professor X will say, "You mean when you told us to 'Shove Off?' and anyone who hadn't seen it will be any less entertained.

I'm no prude either, but sheesh, let's go as long as we can to not exposing our kids to the cavalier nature of nudity and cussing that they'll get plenty of once their old enough to circumvent the V-chip.

Yeah, I saw a funny review that said, "Quciksilver was so effective and immediate in handling the impossible tasks he was given and overcoming the unforeseen obstacles he was presented with, they promptly sent him home afterwards and continued on their way." lol

I know, I was like lol they are telling the guy who can outrun bullets and could save the person being assassinated by a gunman to return the rental car and go home? And everything up to that point would suggest Piotr wouldn't be interested in driving around in a fourdoor Chrysler anyways.

Totally pointless.

In other words, when they change it for regular TV, it'll make absolutely no difference to the story or what happens whatsoever.

He'll say 'Shove off' and then in the next movie Professor X will say, "You mean when you told us to 'Shove Off?' and anyone who hadn't seen it will be any less entertained.

I'm no prude either, but sheesh, let's go as long as we can to not exposing our kids to the cavalier nature of nudity and cussing that they'll get plenty of once their old enough to circumvent the V-chip.

If he said "shove off", I'd walk out of the theater. lol

And V-chip? Is it 1997? I remember the things we used to say as kids on the playground, and they were way more vile than a single F-bomb. And that was also before the internet. Maybe I was (am?) a degenerate, but it feels like parents undergo some sort of mind-wipe in the delivery room, and forget what they knew/did when they were their little angel's age. :baiting:

Pointless other than the fact that F-bombs and buttocks are a part of everyday life. :baiting:

Singer wanted to see some wolverine man

I took my 9 year old to see the film and the foul language was funny to me and went right over her head. It was once and it didn't bother me. The nudity was a bit odd, but again it wasn't a huge deal.

I also don't think the violence is a huge issue either. My daughter has seen all the movies except the new Wolverine movie and Batman films. The Batman films are a little dark and the Wolverine movie was a bit violent. I was more worried about my 2 year old son who usually also joins in for family movie night.

My thought on films and violence is this: When I was a kid, I watched everything under the sun. I also played a ton of video games. However, I knew it was make believe and mostly did it with my parents around. My video gaming was also supervised by my mother.

The bigger issue is in today's society is the kids that are left to their own devices. They get brainwashed and desensitized because they over do it.

I also think there are reverse issues when not allowing kids to watch a little violence or scary moments. My nephews have been very sheltered. I brought over the film Cars as my 2 year old loved it. My 4 year old nephew was terrified at a very benign scene and he became very nervous. He couldn't calm down the rest of the film. It really struck me as odd.

My 2 year old also loves playing good guys and bad guys. He, however, knows how to make believe and has learned we don't hit each other. On the flip side, my nephews go to pounding on each other pretty quick.

So was a bit of nudity and swearing a big deal? Not really… 2c

You can always move to Russia: http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/06/world/europe/russia-swearing-law/