• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men:Days of Future Past movie confirmed
1 1

2,131 posts in this topic

Saw it last night and thought it was great - far superior to the original material.

Apart from the Sentinels - they were rubbish.

Well, thank GOD for H'Wood! Where would we be if it wasn't for them coming along and saving all this garbage from the comic books.

Yes, because that is exactly what it is all about.

From JB's site:

"Some day, when you have your life's worked upon by somebody who thinks he can do it better, i hope someone is there to tell you how great it is. "

That's kind of a bummer. I'd expect someone like John Byrne to have a much more thought-provoking and philosophical response to DOFP, especially with everyone looking at him for a reaction.

I get what he's saying, and I am 100% in agreement with how it feels, and I would absolutely feel the same way - I just don't think vocalizing it in that fashion paints yourself in a good light.

It's his site, I don't see a problem with it (shrug)

Well, he's definitely earned the right to say what he wants about it - I'm just saying that someone as far up the ladder of artistry as he is, sometimes it's better to set an example of how artists should react to situations like that, rather than a raw vocalization of what you're feeling. John Byrne is a master of the medium - having him react like Kanye West on social media should be beneath him, IMHO.

Saw it last night and thought it was great - far superior to the original material.

Well, thank GOD for H'Wood! Where would we be if it wasn't for them coming along and saving all this garbage from the comic books.

From JB's site:

"Some day, when you have your life's worked upon by somebody who thinks he can do it better, i hope someone is there to tell you how great it is. "

That's kind of a bummer. I'd expect someone like John Byrne to have a much more thought-provoking and philosophical response to DOFP, especially with everyone looking at him for a reaction.

I get what he's saying, and I am 100% in agreement with how it feels, and I would absolutely feel the same way - I just don't think vocalizing it in that fashion paints yourself in a good light.

Well, he's definitely earned the right to say what he wants about it - I'm just saying that someone as far up the ladder of artistry as he is, sometimes it's better to set an example of how artists should react to situations like that, rather than a raw vocalization of what you're feeling. John Byrne is a master of the medium - having him react like Kanye West on social media should be beneath him, IMHO.

He didn't even get a thank you in the credits and it was his story. I think on his site he can say whatever he likes. Especially if some people are stupid enough on his site to say how much better the movie is than the original. :eyeroll:

DOFP was a really good flick. I still can't figure out why, like in First Class, they felt the need to drop 1 completely out of place F bomb in the dialogue. It's so useless and will turn off a lot of parents. Also, I thought the Sentinels were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay advanced for the time period and overall bothersome compared to the books. Also, one issue:

How was Magneto able to control all of the Sentinels merely by having some metal intertwined in their systems? I can understand physically controlling them (making arms and legs move) but their firing systems and their computers? And he's able to control 8 of them at once while flying in a stadium and himself and fighting other people? That's stretching it.

I wondered the same thing. IMO the best part was with the Pietro. Over all I wouldn't see it again.

I like the new X-men lego set better.....

From JB's site:

I'm guessing that in JB's comic book writing career he never messed around with anybody else's published comic work then?

I would say his relaunch of Superman was one of my favorites, though it involved major changes to the character and associated history (or returning back to the original history).

Byrne wrote Clark Kent as having a more aggressive and extroverted personality than previously depicted, even making him a top high-school football player. Byrne came up with explanations for how Superman’s disguise works, such as the public simply does not realize that he has a secret identity since he is unmasked, that Superman would vibrate his face via his super speed in order to blur his image to photographers, and having Kent keep a weight training set around to explain how the human and presumably weaker Kent could have a frame as massive as Superman’s. Byrne’s Superman felt that his deepest roots were on Earth, and that his home planet of "Krypton is anathema to him".

I wasn't a fan of the football player change as Clark realized early on he was different from the rest, and wanted to use those powers for good. Not for recognition in a sporting event.

DOFP was a really good flick. I still can't figure out why, like in First Class, they felt the need to drop 1 completely out of place F bomb in the dialogue. It's so useless and will turn off a lot of parents. Also, I thought the Sentinels were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay advanced for the time period and overall bothersome compared to the books. Also, one issue:

How was Magneto able to control all of the Sentinels merely by having some metal intertwined in their systems? I can understand physically controlling them (making arms and legs move) but their firing systems and their computers? And he's able to control 8 of them at once while flying in a stadium and himself and fighting other people? That's stretching it.

Parents still get freaked out over F-bombs?

And how was it out of place?

It was cussing for cussing's sake. Lord knows, I'm no prude, but it felt completely out of place. My guess is the violence and the Wolvie butt shot could've garnered a PG-13, but it's like the F bomb was dropped in to make sure it got there. It serves no purpose in the film. Or at least, it serves little purpose. It served even less purpose in the XMFC movie.

Actually, it linked to a scene in the previous movie. Whether it was essential is debatable.

From JB's site:

I'm guessing that in JB's comic book writing career he never messed around with anybody else's published comic work then?

I would say his relaunch of Superman was one of my favorites, though it involved major changes to the character and associated history (or returning back to the original history).

Byrne wrote Clark Kent as having a more aggressive and extroverted personality than previously depicted, even making him a top high-school football player. Byrne came up with explanations for how Superman’s disguise works, such as the public simply does not realize that he has a secret identity since he is unmasked, that Superman would vibrate his face via his super speed in order to blur his image to photographers, and having Kent keep a weight training set around to explain how the human and presumably weaker Kent could have a frame as massive as Superman’s. Byrne’s Superman felt that his deepest roots were on Earth, and that his home planet of "Krypton is anathema to him".

I wasn't a fan of the football player change as Clark realized early on he was different from the rest, and wanted to use those powers for good. Not for recognition in a sporting event.

Ah, goose and gander then.

It was cussing for cussing's sake. Lord knows, I'm no prude, but it felt completely out of place. My guess is the violence and the Wolvie butt shot could've garnered a PG-13, but it's like the F bomb was dropped in to make sure it got there. It serves no purpose in the film. Or at least, it serves little purpose. It served even less purpose in the XMFC movie.

Actually, it linked to a scene in the previous movie. Whether it was essential is debatable.

Thus, the bolded part above. Edited by Transplant

From JB's site:

He didn't even get a thank you in the credits and it was his story. I think on his site he can say whatever he likes. Especially if some people are stupid enough on his site to say how much better the movie is than the original. :eyeroll:

There you go then.

Thus, the bolded part above.

Bold fail.

And it was not necessary in First Class but it was funny.

From JB's site:

Yeah, that's apples and apples right there :eyeroll:

Also, I thought the Sentinels were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay advanced for the time period and overall bothersome compared to the books.

I agree with your Sentinels comment. I wish they would have kept the classic Sentinels look and feel, this Mystique/Destroyer hybrid Sentinel was just a little too much for me. When they got to part where they were first unveiled in 1973, I thought maybe those would have the original look, but no, they looked even worse. So to me, the only failure of the movie was the Sentinels, I just think they missed the opportunity to play proper homage to them.

2c

Also, I thought the Sentinels were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay advanced for the time period and overall bothersome compared to the books.

I agree with your Sentinels comment. I wish they would have kept the classic Sentinels look and feel, this Mystique/Destroyer hybrid Sentinel was just a little too much for me. When they got to part where they were first unveiled in 1973, I thought maybe those would have the original look, but no, they looked even worse. So to me, the only failure of the movie was the Sentinels, I just think they missed the opportunity to play proper homage to them.

2c

Judging by my step-son's reaction, I'd say that they tailored those sentinels to be something that modern, younger audiences would relate to in terms of what "robots" would look like, not to what fans should think they look like.

I was bummed, too - the pink/purple sentinels are really cool, but would younger audences who are not tuned into the X-men comics think they're cool?

Like it was said before by another Boardie - I think the level of advancement (along with the modern-day version of Trask's Mutant Alarm/Garage Door Opener) was not in line with the era. But - I'm trying to avoid criticizing comic films' inaccuracies, I'm more about focusing on enjoying the performances.

Another plot hole that was kind of glossed over unless I missed it, is how in the (spoon) did Magneto get captured in the JFK incident such that he was imprisoned for 10 years??? Seems unlikely to me normal humans could have got the jump on him.

hm

Another plot hole that was kind of glossed over unless I missed it, is how in the (spoon) did Magneto get captured in the JFK incident such that he was imprisoned for 10 years??? Seems unlikely to me normal humans could have got the jump on him.

hm

Well, it did show in the movie that he is still susceptible to getting bonked on the head and being knocked out. Hit him over the head hard with a plastic baseball bat while wearing a polyester track suit and you've captured the World's Most Dangerous Mutant. Plot point averted.

hm

You know just because some thing isn't explained doesn't necessarily qualify it as a plot hole. They may want to tell that tale at a later date.

From JB's site:

'Selective Indignation' is the new B&W.

hm

You know just because some thing isn't explained doesn't necessarily qualify it as a plot hole. They may want to tell that tale at a later date.

In terms of contriving an answer, look how easy it was for xavier to take over magneto for a while. Imagine if, prior to xavier's DNA treatment, he had assisted the FBI -- problem solved.

What made the characters (esp mag and xav) so awesome to me, is how each skill was so powerful; yet, the upper hand would go to the first to execute, as either could seriously damage (even kill) the other. Wolverine, was practically reduced to Cap America/Avengers level weakness as far as character strengths and abilities towards the end. Yet, Wolverine trumps in the end due to his invulnerability.

Spoiler Alert!

Why would mystique go to the effort to kill Trask in a room full of people when she knows her DNA will cause the end of the world? She could take over Trask's secretary and kill him when he comes back to the office. And when did Trask get a mutant locator?? I'd think the mutant problem would be easier to handle if a handheld device could detect them.

I must have missed something. Are you referring to the scene where Wolverine shows up at the school and the Professor is doped up and delivers the same response Wolverine gave him ten yrs earlier?

Eh never mind Comicopolis addressed that above. Yea it wasn't completely necessary but I think he was trying to get his point across to Logan in the moment.

And watch First Class then it might make some sense

Edited by DevilsRain

Spoiler Alert!

Why would mystique go to the effort to kill Trask in a room full of people when she knows her DNA will cause the end of the world? She could take over Trask's secretary and kill him when he comes back to the office. And when did Trask get a mutant locator?? I'd think the mutant problem would be easier to handle if a handheld device could detect them.

its not really shown, but perhaps her ORIGINAL plan was to kill everyone else in the room too, or to make a scene at the conference