• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Sonja Fan Club
5 5

1,280 posts in this topic

It's not Bronze Age, but will this make me an honorary member of the club?

MagicCarpet0002.jpg

MagicCarpet1934-01int02.jpg

:)

Everyone welcome to join in the fun

This the first appearance of Red Sonya (the inspiration for Red Sonja) in 1934. The story "Shadow of the Vulture" is the one that Roy Thomas adapted for Conan 23 and 24.

A pirate like detective story if I remember or something similar (should look it up )

Can you imagine the story's Howard had in him when he died so young ?

Roy Thomas and others have done adapting the idea well but the old conan storys have a nice flavor

It's dark historical adventure story that takes place during the siege of Vienna in 1529 by Suleyman the Magnificent. In the Roy Thomas version Suleyman became Yezdigerd and Vienna became Makkalet. The Vulture Mikhal Oglu (a historical figure) stays the same in both. Conan sort of takes the role of Gottfried in the original story.

The original is available for free on Progect Gutenberg and well worth the read for Sonja fans, just to see where her roots are:

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0608101.txt

wow what a story!

And it is strange I have read some of that before just different somewhere before I just don't remember

Thanks Theagenes

Edited by gyro-1

wow what a story!

And it is strange I have read some of that before just different somewhere before I just don't remember

Thanks Theagenes

I've only told you about it, and posted links to it about a billion times. :makepoint:

It's not Bronze Age, but will this make me an honorary member of the club?

MagicCarpet0002.jpg

MagicCarpet1934-01int02.jpg

Yes! Nice looking copy. Very hard to find in decent shape. I've seen some modern reprints for sale, but it's just not the same as owning an original. I've read, "The Shadow Of The Vulture" online, and it's an amazing story. R.E Howard has the ability to really put the reader in the middle of the action. Howard's, "sending a head in a box to your enemy" predates the movie Se7en by 61 years. Classic!

wow what a story!

Thanks Theagenes

I've only told you about it, and posted links to it about a billion times. :makepoint:

I knew It !!

I have a feeling bidding could get ugly by the time this is over. Conan #44 9.8 OW/WP. 1 of 5 on the census, and 5th appearance of Red Sonja (Or 6th if you count Gyro's #33). Has anyone looked at the enlarged scan? What is going on with the upper left corner?

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121326&lotNo=13094&type=bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus#Photo

It's a tough copy to find in high grade. I have a reader copy that's really ragged out. Coupon missing, and the cover looks like it's been through the ringer. I think the last 9.8 to sell was in Feb. 2012. May be a while before another comes around. Have to think about this one. hm

It's a tough copy to find in high grade. I have a reader copy that's really ragged out. Coupon missing, and the cover looks like it's been through the ringer. I think the last 9.8 to sell was in Feb. 2012. May be a while before another comes around. Have to think about this one. hm

OMG 5 minutes to go it is 300$ Canadian with 45 shipping !!! $345!!!

:o

Update it sold for 300$

Did you win wizard?

Edited by gyro-1

OMG 5 minutes to go it is 300$ Canadian with 45 shipping !!! $345!!!

:o

Update it sold for 300$

Did you win wizard?

No, I never even put a bid in. If it was white pages I would have been all over it. With the page quality, and that weird corner I stayed away. Fun to watch though.