• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Sonja Fan Club
5 5

1,280 posts in this topic

I saw that the other day and wondered who the hell was in charge

then I thought maybe they are after the japan cartoon animi

But then who knows who they are targeting with this ?

Modern red Sonja is not for kids

Just my opinion

:)

completely off topic there is a give up your seat to a mom with a baby advertisement in the transit busses that use a crying baby with the big mouth like the ones above (same stile )

edited

Ok so figured it out they hired a artist that does kids stuff

insufficiently_thoughtful_persons

:(

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RED-SONJA-1-PHANTOM-VARIANT-AGNES-GARBOWSKA-/251309772853

Edited by gyro-1

The Phantom Variants are made for a select group of comic shops. They have to be part of the network to get the covers so not all shops get them. Kind of like Midtown Comics has their own (ahem) Nei Ruffino cover. It just seems that with this Phantom cover the whole thing is turning into a joke, but I'm not laughing.

Just found this. Red Sonja #1 Phantom Variant. I think it's the 9th or 10th variant for this issue. Is this what the "She Devil With A Sword" has been reduced to? Thoughts?

KGrHqJHJEEFHm18oO2BR3YiWDg60_57_zps4ac94f95.jpg

I think this cover is cool. I don't like books with billions of variants as a rule, though. Variants are a cheesy gimmick at best. But within that context, I like this cover as much or more than many of the other variants.

Edited by Crimebuster

Hi

Can you explain what kind of art it is ?

I must be way out of the loop on this

Your first instinct was right, it is inspired by Japanese anime and manga. It's not quite full-on chibi, but it's in the same ballpark.

If you google image "chibi" - with your filters on, of course, because things can get pretty weird in Japan - you'll see what I mean.

@Crimebuster - Will you actually buy one? I think they're going for $14.99 or so. The Midtown Comics Nei Ruffino Virgin cover is going for $100.00. In six months it will probably be hard to get regular cover price for any of them, but people will chase them. Supposedly they've sold out of the entire 1st print run of 35,000. So there should only be 350 1:100 covers. That one may hold some value, but this Phantom one does nothing for me, and is completely out of character with the Red Sonja I know. 2c

@HouseofComics.Com and medijunkie - I'm friends with Lucio on Facebook, and he posted this the other day. It is awesome, and I wish it were mine. lol Too bad he won't be doing any more covers for Red Sonja. Not sure if Dynamite will continue Queen Sonja, but some of the covers he's done for both series have been amazing.

@Crimebuster - Will you actually buy one? I think they're going for $14.99 or so. The Midtown Comics Nei Ruffino Virgin cover is going for $100.00. In six months it will probably be hard to get regular cover price for any of them, but people will chase them. Supposedly they've sold out of the entire 1st print run of 35,000. So there should only be 350 1:100 covers. That one may hold some value, but this Phantom one does nothing for me, and is completely out of character with the Red Sonja I know. 2c

No, I don't buy variants. Maybe if there was some amazing cover I just had to have, but for the most part I buy to read. I think the variant craze is goofy. No offense to anyone who collects them, it just seems like a gimmick, especially since it is frustrating to see a cool cover you want and then be asked to shell out some ridiculous premium for it because of artificial rarity.

If this were a case where all the variants were the same price, I might consider buying it, depending on what other covers were available, but I would probably just buy one copy to read.

I think the variant craze is goofy. No offense to anyone who collects them, it just seems like a gimmick, especially since it is frustrating to see a cool cover you want and then be asked to shell out some ridiculous premium for it because of artificial rarity.

:golfclap:

Look at it this way. She does appear in #23, but she's on the cover of #24, and it's the last Barry Windsor-Smith art for Conan. She doesn't appear in a chain mail bikini until Savage Sword of Conan #1 (her 3rd app.). All three issues go for roughly the same amount in 9.8. Give or take a few bucks. Pick one or all, they're great books to read and have.

I think 23 only because it is first

but 24 has a story

Ands the art on savage sword is the best of the 3 to me ?

As wizard said it is a $500 hit anyway you look at it

So...who paid $325 for my 9.8 Marvel Feature 1? :whee:

OMG :o

greggy now your rich are you interested in a marvel feature 1 pence ?

Edited by gyro-1

So...who paid $325 for my 9.8 Marvel Feature 1? :whee:

OMG :o

greggy now your rich are you interested in a marvel feature 1 pence ?

:facepalm: