• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics #1

100 posts in this topic

I saw this ebay auction go up and got super excited.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190712271340?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

until i looked at overstreet value and saw it was much lower than asking price.

I thought this issue was much more sought after than the value suggests...it seems pretty rared based on the cgc registry.

is this one comic i should jump at the chance to own whenever it comes up? regardless of price versus overstreet?

CGC census shows only 11 unrestored copies (27 total) - does that mean theres little chance this will ever come up again? or are there most likely a lot of non slabbed copies?

Im mostly silver age, but growing up, this was always in all the comic related history books I read.

I know a guy who has a complete run of Detectives from 27 up who has little interest in the "pre-superhero" comics. I don't think he's unique based on comments on this board.

Objectively, Detective Comics 1 isn't especially historically significant. It's not the first DC comic (that's New Fun 1). In fact, Detective the third of DC's lines, after New Fun/More Fun and New/New Adventure/Adventure. And it doesn't introduce any especially signficant characters. It's coolness factor derives mostly from the fact that later on the title of the book was abreviated to become the trademark of the publisher (National).

Metropolic Comics has two up on their website. A PLOD 5.5 ($14.5K) and Blue 5.0 ($39K).

I know a guy who has a complete run of Detectives from 27 up who has little interest in the "pre-superhero" comics. .

well that's not surprising, people tend to either love em or not give a dam about them

I know a guy who has a complete run of Detectives from 27 up who has little interest in the "pre-superhero" comics. .

well that's not surprising, people tend to either love em or not give a dam about them

I like the pre-hero Detectives just fine, but I LOVE Detective #1. I'd muster up a nice stack of GA goodness to trade for this copy if the seller would be inclined to do so :wishluck:

I like the pre-hero Detectives just fine, but I LOVE Detective #1. I'd muster up a nice stack of GA goodness to trade for this copy if the seller would be inclined to do so :wishluck:

I think it is a great book Where would "DC" be without it..???

128872.jpg.b2e3fd58d4b0a718ce41d84023eca9f2.jpg

Objectively, Detective Comics 1 isn't especially historically significant. It's not the first DC comic (that's New Fun 1). In fact, Detective the third of DC's lines, after New Fun/More Fun and New/New Adventure/Adventure. And it doesn't introduce any especially signficant characters. It's coolness factor derives mostly from the fact that later on the title of the book was abreviated to become the trademark of the publisher (National).

It's iconic.

Sure More Fun/ New Adventure/Adventure were the first two, technically, but where are those titles now?

Detective Comics is still around today - and impact is a big factor.

I'm sure the number of people that like pre 27 detectives is small because of it's content, but this isn't number 7 or 15, this is number 1. Doesn't that usually garner prices that are "relatively" unmatched by other issues from the series? I know Batman overshadows this, but still.. A number #1's still the birthplace of the comic - and in this case the publisher's name!

IMHO Tec #1 is the big key prehero - Lots of money in comics now days. I think people are nuts for paying 1,000s for 9.8 books from SA and later... Id put my $$$ in something truly rare like a Tec #1 wout skipping a beat. I am biased, I am one of the few hundred people in the world who claim to collect prehero. : )

Circa 1980, I visited the famous Collectors Bookstore in Hollywood. As has oft been repeated, the place was simply amazing - GA books stacked high in boxes on shelves with a representative cover on the front of each box.

It was like a library of comics, just incredible.

Anyway, being hooked on Batman already I asked the clerk for a "Detective" box. He handed me one, and I eagerly dove in and looked through the stack... but no Batman!?

He gave a good chuckle - one of those "gotcha" moments - and commented that these were the issues before Batman, implying that nobody really cared about them. He then handed me the "real" Detective boxes and what a joy they were to flip through.

I ended up buying a high grade, white paged Detective 30 (non-Batman cover so it was cheaper) out of the display case, but it's long gone.

Still, I do remember that pre-hero box (I don't recall seeing a Detective 1) - ah, to be young and dumb (and broke) again. Great books, IMHO.

I think it is a great book Where would "DC" be without it..???

:applause:

I am not really in to the pre-hero books, but you have to respect the history of them and there are several that have flat out classic covers like Detective #1

. . . I'd muster up a nice stack of GA goodness to trade for this copy if the seller would be inclined to do so :wishluck:

Having spoken to him on the telephone last fall, he is not a comic book collector. He got caught up in the frenzy and was the last biddder standing.

. . .I am not really in to the pre-hero books, but you have to respect the history of them and there are several that have flat out classic covers like Detective #1

I've got about a dozen pre-hero DCs. Great stories to be read in all.