• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics #1

100 posts in this topic

I asked him a question about whether hed be posting other golden age books and mentioned id be in the market for a lower grade tec 1 for 10K, he replied

"my highest offer to date is 13,500 in 3 days of listing. I will hold out or burn it in the stove for that price. CGC lists the comic grade 2.5 as 20k."

so us lower bidders are out of luck for now.

For whatever Overstreet prices are worth on a book like this, if you do a linear interpolation of his 2.0 and 4.0 prices, you get $15,625. Most recent ballpark sale on GPA would appear to be a 3.0 that sold for $18,300 last October.

Since he apparently wants to move it, I would guess he would eventually take $16 - $17 K if anyone offered it.

I don't get it. Cgc lists comic values?

Put it on the stove? Yeah, this fellow does not sound like a comic fan.

I put in an 11k "talk to me" bid but didn't even rate a response.

I wonder if he means registry points.

I don't get it. Cgc lists comic values?

Put it on the stove? Yeah, this fellow does not sound like a comic fan.

I put in an 11k "talk to me" bid but didn't even rate a response.

I wonder if he means registry points.

You're right--I just checked!

Oy vey--who would buy a book like this because of registry points!?

For whatever Overstreet prices are worth on a book like this, if you do a linear interpolation of his 2.0 and 4.0 prices, you get $15,625. Most recent ballpark sale on GPA would appear to be a 3.0 that sold for $18,300 last October.

Since he apparently wants to move it, I would guess he would eventually take $16 - $17 K if anyone offered it.

Kind of sad to see a classic book such as Detective #1 take such a big fall in the marketplace.

I remember back in the mid 90's when this book was so rare that it would always sell for a healthy premium and in some cases, even multiples to guide whenever it showed up in the marketplace. Now, it sounds as though FMV is running at a discount to guide if you want to move the book.

Some of these DC pre-hero books are starting to look like the once-in-demand early strip reprint books whereby comparative market values are actually trending down over time instead of going up. :(

The same kind of insufficiently_thoughtful_person who would spend big money on a hobby item that he knows little or nothing about, and would make a ridiculous statement about burning the book in a stove because he can't make a quick flip profit on it.

:facepalm:

The same kind of insufficiently_thoughtful_person who would spend big money on a hobby item that he knows little or nothing about, and would make a ridiculous statement about burning the book in a stove because he can't make a quick flip profit on the book.

:facepalm:

No doubt. But the softening of the market in terms of pre-hero DC materialis not a new phenomena, it has been a steady decline over the years. I was the poster child for buying those runs at the wrong time back in the mid to late 90s :(

Having held this generously graded CGC 2.5 comic in my hands last year and seeing where it is today in the marketplace, debunks the illusion that estate auctions produce undervalued comics for arbitrage. The seller of the DC#1 got caught up with another over zealous bidder and out dueled him to the dubious conclusion of actually wining the comic. The best comparison to the look in their eyes and body language is the effect cocaine has on the brain. That whole auction was an exercise in sitting on my hands as the crazy bids started flying and enjoy the performance.

For those that think the seller is going let go of his 'investment' for a multi-thousand dollar loss, you should return to your regularly scheduled reading material.

Having held this generously graded CGC 2.5 comic in my hands last year and seeing where it is today in the marketplace, debunks the illusion that estate auctions produce undervalued comics for arbitrage. The seller of the DC#1 got caught up with another over zealous bidder and out dueled him to the dubious conclusion of actually wining the comic. The best comparison to the look in their eyes and body language is the effect cocaine has on the brain. That whole auction was an exercise in sitting on my hands as the crazy bids started flying and enjoy the performance.

For those that think the seller is going let go of his 'investment' for a multi-thousand dollar loss, you should return to your regularly scheduled reading material.

Love the firsthand account, thanks for sharing that. :)

I got a counter for 17.5, which the seller says is his break-even point. Still too much. A shame, as I'd love to take this book at a more reasonable price.

I think he has developed a blind spot for the details of his actual cost.

$18K + IN state tax of 7% + CGC fastlane grading service + feebay.

Was his counter offer pick-up only, as stated in his item description?