• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Digital comic collections

35 posts in this topic

Was wondering if anyone reads comics digitally or has a collection of books on a hard drive, blank discs, etc. I've got roughly 650gb of comic books on a hard drive that I'm working my way through. Probably take me longer than I'll live, but it makes it easier to read some of the books I may never own. Anyone else do this?

I've only got a couple hundred on Comixology and I'm not sure if I can transfer them to disc from there.

I resisted digital books at first but now I love reading them. The thing that surprised me the most is how easy they are to read on a smartphone. I always thought everything would be too small but it's actually enjoyable.

I've only got a couple hundred on Comixology and I'm not sure if I can transfer them to disc from there.

I don't think you can. Please, somebody jump in if I'm wrong; but when you access your comics on Comixology, all you're actually doing is pointing to images held on their server. The files aren't held on the device that you're reading them from.

I did buy the 40 years of Spiderman collection so im trying to see if i can transfer some of it on my Samsung Galaxy tab 10-inch tablet as there's a nice sd expansion slot.

You get a bunch of 32 gb cards and boy are you set.

The watermark is not that annoying,i find.

Id like to buy the 44 years of FF too.

Oh and the X-Men one.

I don't think you can. Please, somebody jump in if I'm wrong; but when you access your comics on Comixology, all you're actually doing is pointing to images held on their server. The files aren't held on the device that you're reading them from.

Actually you are wrong..

You do download the books to your device but they also remain in your account as well.

I have a bunch of books on my phone and they do take up space

Yes, they download and yes, they do take up space on your local device. However, that's just for convenience and speed. You can delete them locally and re-download them whenever you want if you need the space with Comixology.

In the near future, somewhere, out there, in someone's room filled with dozens of computers and servers rests a 11 year old child cackling in delight as he realizes that he just craked the security protocols and can now rip comics from the Marvel and DC Apps like people share music.

In the near future, somewhere, out there, in someone's room filled with dozens of computers and servers rests a 11 year old child cackling in delight as he realizes that he just craked the security protocols and can now rip comics from the Marvel and DC Apps like people share music.

already been done minus the dozens of computers, etc.

*all* that type if stuff is "cracked" within hours of release.

I'm 41 and was very against the march of technology as far as digital comics went, but I recently purchased a Sony tablet and now read all my comics digitally!!

Now I buy printed for my collections and digital for reading, I'm sure at some point I'll long for the smell of musty paper, but not yet...

I'm 41 and was very against the march of technology as far as digital comics went, but I recently purchased a Sony tablet and now read all my comics digitally!!

Now I buy printed for my collections and digital for reading, I'm sure at some point I'll long for the smell of musty paper, but not yet...

Ahhh but dont worry,at this rate there will soon be a mustybooksmell app.

Settings will include Victorian times and 1930's pulp.

:grin:

I think 70's damp basement would be a top seller ^^

I think 70's damp basement would be a top seller ^^

lol

Yeah,that and for a dollar more you get enhanced Mylar.

I have about 11 gigs of Comics on my Thumb drive, about 3 gigs on my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. I use the USB on the go adapter to transfer unread stuff to the Tablet, and archive the read stuff back to the thumb drive. The 7" screen is perfect for single pages (to my 20/20 eyes anyway, my fiancee can't see the words at all) but a 2 page spread necessitates zooming for it to be legible.

I also use Comixology and Comics + on my fiancee's ipad and my iphone. It'll do in a pinch, but I like getting runs of old stuff I already own or want to 'taste-test' before I invest in it.

Torrents are also a great way to get books that aren't necessarily readily available at the LCS in trade or back issues, or on the publisher's e-stores either.

It really makes reading comics at work easier. No worrying about how to keep bagged/boarded issues damage free, or lugging in a bag full of trades to pass those 12-hour night shifts on the psych unit.

I'm slowly experimenting with digital comics - I have an iPhone, so I'm a little envious of the iPad screen, but so far, they are entertaining to read when I'm not at home, traveling or whatnot.

So does anyone read new marvel or dc/image comics ?.. I've never really looked into it but if its something I can just download to a tablet of some kind & read anyplace that would be kind of cool... My questions about this would be ...

1 do they come out the same time as the regular releases or do you have a longer wait time for the digital version to come out ?..

2 is it cheaper than buying an actually printed comic ... If not I'd rather just stick with a printed version ...

3 how about legal stuff ?.. If I die what happens to my digital collection ?.. I kind of doubt that is something I am able to pass onto say my kids ( if I had any) for them to have /read...

I read all of the newer stuff digitally usually. It comes out the same time if you do it legit via Comixology. If you do it through a torrent site, it's maybe a day or two, but you can find it fairly easily.

Buying comics on Comixology is the same price for newer stuff, but older stuff they frequently have sales.

I've got a Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone I use to read sometimes. It's got a 4.3" screen and the Perfect Viewer app works perfect (no pun intended) with it. I've also got a Toshiba Thrive tablet w/ a 10" screen that uses the same app. It's fantastic.

I kind of doubt that is something I am able to pass onto say my kids ( if I had any) for them to have /read...

I'm sure in the future, children will have wifi installed in their brains, and all we will have to do is share our digital collections on a network, and they can stream them into their subconsciousness, without ever having to actually touch paper or potentially injure their arm when turning pages.