• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's Celebrate Joe Kubert!

59 posts in this topic

Here is one of my Kuberts that I have in photobucket. Sorry for the terrible photo.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMTEtMjAwOTA3MDMtMjI0N.jpg

The last time that I saw Joe was at C2E2. I was helping Andy Cretella with some Sig Series books and was walking back with a CAW from another signing. Joe had been very hard to find that weekend and was just on his way to another engagement.

I had all the Kubert books with me and asked if he could sign. His handler was an attractive lady, possibly a daughter in law or someone affiliated with the school. Joe said "Absolutely!" before she could say anything. She and I were taking care of the donation to Hero Initiative, and Joe started in on the signing - each signature as clear and precise as every time he has done it since the 50s.

The books were all prepped for SS, but I had forgotten to take one of the books out of the plastic outside bag. The CAW immediately noticed it, and pointed it out to me. Joe happily signed the actual book when I handed it back to him. His handler scowled at the time it was taking. I gave another $5 to HI for the "extra" sig, and that polyethylene bag with a beautiful Joe Kubert signature on it has gone from a funny novelty to a treasured keepsake.

RIP Joe.