• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top Schomburg Covers
2 2

184 posts in this topic

On 11/3/2012 at 6:47 AM, markseifert said:

3288427632_0bab329852.jpg

Sci Fi, Pulp & Comic Illustrator Alex Schomburg by Lloyd N Phillips (formerly Green Lantern2008), on Flickr

Some of his pulp and magazine covers are around, I think (Timely might have one...?).

Not exactly pulp or magazine covers, but Timely in spirit (I'm sure West will approve)!  

Here's Alex's gouache cover recreation for Marvel Mystery #66 and an explosive hardcover dust jacket painting...  :cloud9:  :x

lf.thumb.jpeg.6cd44e6717f85e3eebcb4c4f9ced6c97.jpeg  lf.thumb.jpeg.43ddac4328aa7d95be5718d9cc24f2a4.jpeg

5 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Not exactly pulp or magazine covers, but Timely in spirit (I'm sure West will approve)!  

Here's Alex's gouache cover recreation for Marvel Mystery #66 and an explosive hardcover dust jacket painting...  :cloud9:  :x

lf.thumb.jpeg.43ddac4328aa7d95be5718d9cc24f2a4.jpeg

I am fond of his dust jacket paintings.  I think I got this book at the flea market.

1688855884_bd27197e14_b.jpg

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I don't know that these are his "top covers" but a fun little lower grade group I picked up at a flea market a year or so ago.

comschomburglot.jpg

My electron microscope isn’t quite up to magnifying detail on such a grandly diverse scale, but the range is impressive! (thumbsu

4 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

My electron microscope isn’t quite up to magnifying detail on such a grandly diverse scale, but the range is impressive! (thumbsu

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I don't know that these are his "top covers" but a fun little lower grade group I picked up at a flea market a year or so ago.

comschomburglot.jpg

Schomburg initialed a couple of those covers but not all.  Are you sure they are all by Alex?

27486940602_06024055e3_z.jpg

Can anyone tell me which Marvel Mystery Comics are the most desired? Obviously, The WWI covers but I heard the beginning of the run is more sought after and the later part is more common?  That's what someone told me so just checking.  

2 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Can anyone tell me which Marvel Mystery Comics are the most desired? Obviously, The WWI covers but I heard the beginning of the run is more sought after and the later part is more common?  That's what someone told me so just checking.  

4,5,9,10,15 are my favorite of the early run Schomburg covers. The 4,5,9 have long been some of the most desired of his covers in the early run. 

Edited by Primetime

1 hour ago, Primetime said:

4,5,9,10,15 are my favorite of the early run Schomburg covers. The 4,5,9 have long been some of the most desired of his covers in the early run. 

Some of Alex's best pre-war entry covers are MM #16, 19 & 28, but everyone has favorites.  

MM #46 is one of his toughest WWII books for obvious reasons...

edited-image_zpsi3dkd2ao.jpg.0e407a18b14c670ef42818edbfbe0dd0.jpg