• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

I can't see 9.8 #1s retaining a value of 1k. Most of the appeal of the book was its rising value. People loved it because it's value was skyrocketing & wanted a piece of the action. 2c

That is true, but it really depends. If there is the hope somehow that the series will continue on TV at a later date, or some other incentive, then some people might hold on to it.

I am sure that people said the same things about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. try to find a # 1 of that for under $1,000.

WD is as popular as it ever was. It will take a while before prices come down.

Yes, I think it also depends how many years the TV series run. If it runs for many many years like TMNT so that many almost generations grow up with it then it could positively affect the staying power of WD.

I am sure that people said the same things about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. try to find a # 1 of that for under $1,000.

:gossip: Prices have already come down...

-slym

:gossip: Prices have already come down...

-slym

:o

I hear the faint sound of "butthertz" brewing from some WD lovers... :shy:

Vanilla Ice has still never rapped about Walking Dead. Until then there is no comparison... ;)

TMNT has been a marketable property for decades, with different permutations of an animated series, a handful of movies, and merchandising that only Pokemon and a handful of other properties could even sniff. Walking Dead has been a decent TV show for 4 years.

Vanilla Ice has still never rapped about Walking Dead. Until then there is no comparison... ;)

Eminem has though :gossip:

TMNT has been a marketable property for decades, with different permutations of an animated series, a handful of movies, and merchandising that only Pokemon and a handful of other properties could even sniff. Walking Dead has been a decent TV show for 4 years.

A decent TV show? Have you seen the ratings for WD?

According to a recent Entertainment Weekly article

"• The Walking Dead is 23 percent bigger among adults 18-49 than NBC’s Sunday Night Football (8.4), which is broadcast’s top rated weekly telecast.

• The biggest entertainment nowadays is CBS’ The Big Bang Theory (7.7), which has more viewers than The Walking Dead. But its demo rating is nowhere close.

• You know ABC’s Scandal (4.8)? One of the biggest hits on TV, right? Well, The Walking Dead doubles its rating.

• In fact, The Walking Dead is about equal to almost five episodes of CBS’ The Mentalist (2.3).

• And seven episodes of NBC’s Sean Saves the World (1.5).

• You can fit about nine episodes of The CW’s Arrow (1.1), Comedy Central’s The Daily Show (1.1), TNT’s Franklin & Bash (1.0) or HBO’s Boardwalk Empire (1.2) inside The Walking Dead.

• Or roughly 51 episodes of Fox News’ Hannity (0.19).

Okay! I feel like you get the point. It beats everything."

"• The Walking Dead is 23 percent bigger among adults 18-49 than NBC’s Sunday Night Football (8.4), which is broadcast’s top rated weekly telecast.

• The biggest entertainment nowadays is CBS’ The Big Bang Theory (7.7), which has more viewers than The Walking Dead. But its demo rating is nowhere close.

• You know ABC’s Scandal (4.8)? One of the biggest hits on TV, right? Well, The Walking Dead doubles its rating.

• In fact, The Walking Dead is about equal to almost five episodes of CBS’ The Mentalist (2.3).

• You can fit about nine episodes of The CW’s Arrow (1.1), Comedy Central’s The Daily Show (1.1), TNT’s Franklin & Bash (1.0) or HBO’s Boardwalk Empire (1.2) inside The Walking Dead.

What do ratings have to do with my feelings on a show?

My soapbox stand for the day.

We witnessed the WD runup for a couple of years. When prices hit 3k I didn’t sell. When prices went to 2500 I didn’t sell. It was a straight line up with a few bumps here and there, but it was generally a $2200-$2700 book. What just happened were a few books that sold for under 2k and now people are selling out. That’s all it takes! Even in our own threads people are dumping their entire WD collections. EBay has sales WD1 for under 2k. I’m predicting a selloff and not a rebound. People are going to want to start dumping their WD books as soon as possible. If even 50 people dump them, because of GPA and people that track sales, it will pummel the prices. People that are trying to calm the masses may even be trying to get out while they can too. For people that wonder. Yes, all it does is take a few bad sales to spook the masses into a selling spree and plummeting prices. People follow these prices like a stock chart so why wouldn’t they react the same way?

THIS is what I have been warning people about with AF15 and other books that show that 45 degree graph. Apples and Oranges? All you need is that pattern of selling and not buying and you’ll see the high dollar books start hitting the open market. Same pattern. Books that spike on movie news and are thrown into the 15k+ range are only good for sellers. The books were there a month before the "movie" was announced so what really changed?

If you have the book and like the book then the prices it’s selling for shouldn’t matter. You were keeping it anyway…

my feelings are hurt because i'm not counted anymore. :cry: does the show still suck? i gave up after 3 seasons of stupidity.

Edited by paperheart

I have both WD #1's in 9.8 . I bought them each for $200. I recently listed my white label WD#1 9.8 on ebay under BIN or best offer for $2600 just to test the waters. Highest offer I got was $2100. the last few months WD#1 has gone from anywhere from $1700 to over 2k. I plan on keeping the black label forever because I'm actually a fan of the stories and art. The only reason I even put my white label on EBay was to pay off my credit card for my AF #15 and put the rest towards ASM #1 to complete my run.

I really have nothing to lose with these books and unless I get what I want for the book I'll just hold on to it and enjoy the ride. It seems people forget that the print run for WD #1 was just under 7300. The AMC show has greatly improved this season under the new show runner, exceptional writing and great character development, more characters and stories taken from the books, a second show in the pipeline, and a successful video game with the tell tale series. The Walking Dead will be here for the foreseeable future and will continue to grow and accumulate fans. Which means more interest in the comics. I'm not counting on WD #1 to rise or fall in sales. But I would not be surprised if it continued to rise.

I thought you meant decent in terms of popularity equating into value for the books. If you just feel the show is decent, that's fine.

I'm not hyping it up as I think the show has been a bit boring lately. I didn't watch Sunday's episode yet but if this were the first two seasons....I would have watched it already.

And, whoever mentioned Jersey Shore....horrible comparison. They didn't have ratings like WD...not even close.