• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

I can't see 9.8 #1s retaining a value of 1k. Most of the appeal of the book was its rising value. People loved it because it's value was skyrocketing & wanted a piece of the action. 2c

It is not going to devalue by 50-60%. Ten years from now I think #1 in CGC 9.8 is still easily a $1K to 1100 book.

WD #1 is still the AF 15 of the modern age or the TNMT #1 of this generation.

10 years from now CGC will most likely be long gone.

If you think because they will have a competitor than I would say you are incorrect.

I'd say because TAT's are going to get up to a year or more at this pace, for Fast Track.

Even though your hyberbole of a comment will never happen that still wouldn't prove why CGC wouldn't be around.

No competition ever

I wouldn't go that far. Coins and cards all have 3-4 major, respected grading companies and several each that come and go. It mostly depends on if another grading company sees an opening. Or - and this is one of the ways it happened in coins and sportscards - if one or several big dealers band together and form a grading company because of what they see as poor service/prices to high.

I can think of several dealers off the top of my head that if they wanted to do this have the staff, space, inventory and reputation. They only have to think there is a need.

And come up with the $1 mill+ you'd need to get a business like this off the ground. Can you think of several dealers (outside of auction houses) who have that kind of cash lying around?

All roads lead to Mr. Wonderful

I can't see 9.8 #1s retaining a value of 1k. Most of the appeal of the book was its rising value. People loved it because it's value was skyrocketing & wanted a piece of the action. 2c

It is not going to devalue by 50-60%. Ten years from now I think #1 in CGC 9.8 is still easily a $1K to 1100 book.

If you think because they will have a competitor than I would say you are incorrect.

I'd say because TAT's are going to get up to a year or more at this pace, for Fast Track.

Even though your hyberbole of a comment will never happen that still wouldn't prove why CGC wouldn't be around.

No competition ever

How confident are you? hm

Very.

The key here is not gaining better turnaround times and stealing their modern business. How do you get a new company to get all of us to resend in your current vintage CGC slabs for re-grading while establishing a money motive for you to do so.

I have heard people say they wish CGC was tighter. Ok, so are you going to resend in your Iron Man #55 CGC 9.8 in for regrading at that new company so they can grade it 9.6/9.4 and lose money. (shrug) If everyone is a yes then CGC will be out of business.

I just woke up though from that pipe-dream..........

No competition ever

Very.

The key here is not gaining better turnaround times and stealing their modern business. How do you get a new company to get all of us to resend in your current vintage CGC slabs for re-grading while establishing a money motive for you to do so. :whistle:

I have heard people say they wish CGC was tighter. Ok, so are you going to resend in your Iron Man #55 CGC 9.8 in for regrading at that new company so they can grade it 9.6/9.4 and lose money. (shrug) If everyone is a yes then CGC will be out of business.

The new company doesn't need collectors/dealers to resub CGC books. Look how busy CGC is right now. All they need to do is provide submitters an incentive to choose them over CGC going forward. An incentive such as....oh I don't know....having Chris Friesen as their resto expert. :whistle:

No competition ever

Very.

The key here is not gaining better turnaround times and stealing their modern business. How do you get a new company to get all of us to resend in your current vintage CGC slabs for re-grading while establishing a money motive for you to do so. :whistle:

The new company doesn't need collectors/dealers to resub CGC books. Look how busy CGC is right now. All they need to do is provide submitters an incentive to choose them over CGC going forward. An incentive such as....oh I don't know....having Chris Friesen as their resto expert. :whistle:

It is not like all current CGC customers will just switch to the new company. Even if the new company takes away 50% of CGC's modern business that is not enough business to stay afloat with all the expenses it will take to really compete with them.

The only way it will work is to convince everyone that their current CGC slabs need to be re-graded with the new company.

If everyone is still keeping their AF 15's in CGC slabs over the new company than obviously CGC is still king of the hill.

That is it, case closed.

Just having all the modern books while that is CGC bread & butter is not enough to come in and compete with CGC.

If you want a competitor to come in and take over by making CGC closes it doors forever then don't you still have the same problem you have now with no competition. :baiting: Back to square one.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

You're missing the point. It has become clear that those who own CGC care little about the books themselves. A new company that actually cares about preserving/conserving the books could knock CGC out of existence. A monopoly that cares about the books is much better than one that doesn't.

You're missing the point. It has become clear that those who own CGC care little about the books themselves. A new company that actually cares about preserving/conserving the books could knock CGC out of existence. A monopoly that cares about the books is much better than one that doesn't.

Why should a grading company care about "preserving/conserving" books? As far as I'm concerned, a grading company should grade books - nothing more, nothing less :shrug:

:whistle:

HUH.....

No your missing my point apparently.

That doesn't make any sense what you just wrote.

What at CGC from start to finish of receiving your invoice do they not care about?

There is no one right now even remotely considering opening up a new grading company. All the people that know how to grade or have the risk to take on such a venture either work for other comic book businesses, are currently at CGC, or make too much money as a dealer to even care.

On the top of my head I can name maybe 5 people that currently do not work at CGC that are top notch graders that could rival CGC if given the chance. The problem is they fall into what I just wrote above.

It is not like all current CGC customers will just switch to the new company. Even if the new company takes away 50% of CGC's modern business that is not enough business to stay afloat with all the expenses it will take to really compete with them.

The only way it will work is to convince everyone that their current CGC slabs need to be re-graded with the new company.

If everyone is still keeping their AF 15's in CGC slabs over the new company than obviously CGC is still king of the hill.

That is it, case closed.

Just having all the modern books while that is CGC bread & butter is not enough to come in and compete with CGC.

If you want a competitor to come in and take over by making CGC closes it doors forever then don't you still have the same problem you have now with no competition. :baiting: Back to square one.

If it is one of the large dealers or several of the large dealers throwing together - exactly what happened in sports cards - you don't need to "steal away" any business from CGC. Just those dealers sending their stuff to the new grading company is plenty enough business. Plus they have enough (more than one dealer claims a million + inventory) material to "prime the pump". They can quickly get enough graded material out there on the market to LOOK like a serious competitor.

TAT is key. But as I said before, CGC leaves a potential competitor lots of other areas that they could expand or improve on. Get rid of the qualified label and do Split grades. Have the label show individual grades for various areas. A signature authentication service or process. Slab loose items like 3D glasses or COA's. Vanity labels ("john's very first comic book purchase") In other words, take a look at what other grading services in other hobbies are doing.

No interest in CGC closing it's doors. But a bit of healthy competition is good for everyone. Ford and GM are making some of their best cars ever because of Toyota. And Toyota is upping it's game due to Hyundai

That is it, case closed.

If it is one of the large dealers or several of the large dealers throwing together - exactly what happened in sports cards - you don't need to "steal away" any business from CGC. Just those dealers sending their stuff to the new grading company is plenty enough business. Plus they have enough (more than one dealer claims a million + inventory) material to "prime the pump". They can quickly get enough graded material out there on the market to LOOK like a serious competitor.

TAT is key. But as I said before, CGC leaves a potential competitor lots of other areas that they could expand or improve on. Get rid of the qualified label and do Split grades. Have the label show individual grades for various areas. A signature authentication service or process. Slab loose items like 3D glasses or COA's. Vanity labels ("john's very first comic book purchase") In other words, take a look at what other grading services in other hobbies are doing.

No interest in CGC closing it's doors. But a bit of healthy competition is good for everyone. Ford and GM are making some of their best cars ever because of Toyota. And Toyota is upping it's game due to Hyundai

One can always dream.

That is it, case closed.

So ... Mile High, again? :eyeroll:

That is it, case closed.

I suppose the eyeroll is significant?

Chuck is controversial on these boards - though plenty of boardies will admitt to purchasing books from Mile High. But people on these boards constantly forget that we are a teensy, tiny part of the hobby. To the overwhelming majority of the comic collecting world, Mile High is the place that found the Mile High collection and claims to be the largest comic book store in America.

Mile High is hardly the only possibility. There are several other what one could call major dealers with huge inventories, wharehouse facilities. substantial staff and name recognition. Surely you can think of a few more?

The idea of one of the publishers getting involded isn't far fectched either Nor is it the least bit far fetched to think that maybe an existing business like Collectors Universe would get involved. If your not familiar with them, Collectors Universe is much like CCG (parent company of CGC). They are a publicly tranded company that is one of the very few hobby companies listed on NASDAQ. The own PCGS (coins) PSA (cards - and arguably the best regarded sports card grades) and PSA/DNA (autograph certification)

Think outside the box, folks

That is it, case closed.

Chuck is controversial on these boards - though plenty of boardies will admitt to purchasing books from Mile High. But people on these boards constantly forget that we are a teensy, tiny part of the hobby. To the overwhelming majority of the comic collecting world, Mile High is the place that found the Mile High collection and claims to be the largest comic book store in America.

Mile High is hardly the only possibility. There are several other what one could call major dealers with huge inventories, wharehouse facilities. substantial staff and name recognition. Surely you can think of a few more?

The idea of one of the publishers getting involded isn't far fectched either Nor is it the least bit far fetched to think that maybe an existing business like Collectors Universe would get involved. If your not familiar with them, Collectors Universe is much like CCG (parent company of CGC). They are a publicly tranded company that is one of the very few hobby companies listed on NASDAQ. The own PCGS (coins) PSA (cards - and arguably the best regarded sports card grades) and PSA/DNA (autograph certification)

Yeah, there's Mile High and then there's Lone Star - that's about it outside of the auction houses.

What you seem to be forgetting is that Mile High's rep is *spoon* within comic book collecting circles - and if you can't get those people on board, you won't be able to get a grading company off the ground. You honestly think that it's Joe Schmoe off the street with his 2 book submissions that keep the lights on at a company like CGC? No, it's the high volume dealers and auction houses ... and there's no chance whatsoever they'd react positively to a grading company run by Chuck "let's triple the price & do a 50% off sale whilst pretending we're losing money" Rozanski.

Hence the eyeroll :thumbsup:

I'm not saying a viable competitor to CGC will never exist, but you should find it pretty telling that no-one's (and, no, I'm not counting PGX) even bothered to touch that market within the last decade - it requires a lot of cash, long-term planning, and, most importantly, people with sufficient pull within the industry to hit the ground running.

That is it, case closed.

Many of the dealers that come to mind are at least 40-50 years old that have the business knowledge and funds to come together to rival CGC, but they all have one thing in common.

They just can't be bothered. (shrug)

Why would any of the dealers at their comfy business age making a great living want to put in the time and effort? They don't

I can think of maybe 5 people my age or younger that might have the balls to do so. You need hungry 20-30 somethings with the funds from outside investors to be a true competitor.

In this age there is one name that comes to mind that could be the face of a new company just as Steve Borock was for CGC when they started up that is still young enough to just maybe rock the grading company boat.

The problem is CGC kinda took care of that person already by joining forces with him. :ohnoez:

So see yeah in the pipe-dream where I am still playing baseball in my 30's for the Phillies.

Back to this thread.......

The Walking Dead bubble will burst before the CGC bubble ever does. :baiting: