• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

pop

"Don't write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood."

"When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you will head off your foes with a balanced attack."

If I left this thread, the average IQ would be cut in half.

Seriously, this is some of the dumbest, pidgin-English-constructed half-sentences in the history of the CGC forums, and I am in awe at the current state of the US educational system. doh!

Get over yourself.... :baiting:

:eyeroll:

pop

"Don't write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood."

"When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you will head off your foes with a balanced attack."

And why am I wearing the watermelon on my feet?

Are they ever going lock this spoon down?

Why would this thread get locked?

There was a glimmer when someone started talking about the US educational system, but that was it. This stuff is all on-topic and the thread won't go anywhere.

Tl;dr: The fact that it’s made it this far shows it’s for real, but just based on its momentum and the odds, there’s only one place to go when you’re riding this high…

I have no idea why i'm posting here since I find this thread ridiculous, but anyway, I'll have at it. Before I jump in, i'll say that I'm a huge WD fan, but i'm also not delusional. The book has lost a good amount of momentum, and I'm not just talking price on the #1. I’ve gotten out of all WD comics that I owned, and other than a #1 and a few #92’s (still think Jesus is a major character ala Michonne) I’ve moved my entire collection into the series OA.

So- has the book peaked? Probably! But nonetheless, the comic has:

A: One of the most feverent and wide fan bases of any current franchise or entertainment entity around.

B: It's arguably the most important and influential comic of the last 20 years, and if you think that's hyperbole, I don't think you're giving it the credit it deserves.

C: It's been around for 10 years, and regardless of where it is now, I think most would consider 1-48 to be a damn good story.

D: It has one of the most notable and respected writers/creators in comics, and Kirkman pretty much churns out properties for various mediums on an annual basis.

E: The comic was popular before the show.

F: The buzz has created actual demand and high prices for it’s original art, which for a modern book seems to be tricky (i.e., there’s enough of a demand that forces fans at times to pay stupid prices for it [::raises hand::]. What I'm trying to say is that even beyond the TV show, it's got more going for it than the floppies/trades.

G: To top it off, it's got a major TV franchise that's only growing whether you like the show or not.

Now, I can't imagine that those highlights would make it disappear anytime soon. That said, there are some BIG flags that would freak me the hell out if I were Kirkman:

A: Issues 49-99; 103-111. You cannot tell me that there was not a drastic drop off in story line. It was hard to hang on during these arcs. Very hard. Also, the idea that you can essentially follow TWD formula is alarming: find a place to settle + encounter a bad guy/guys + fight + lose everything and get back on the road again. Yes, that’s the formula for a lot of stories, but for TWD, that’s all we've ever had.

B: The show to me has already shot/aired what I believe is the best draw from the book. I fear that it’s all downhill for here and have no idea what they can do based on what’s in the comic. I hope and believe they will come through. This segues into...

C: I don’t necessarily know if the show is converting viewers into readers. It got me, but I'm not sure if there are enough people like me.

D: Robert Kirkman is very ambitious (thank goodness!), and while the book is always on time, his other commitments can’t help but interfere with potentially making TWD as compelling as possible.

E: The show is targeting 18-34, and while we’re great with discretionary income, our attention spans are awful. Even incredible shows and franchises come and go and fall by the way side. I don't think TWD will be any different.

Agreed, after around issue 48 I started to lose interest in the series. It's gotten to the point now that I have a few issues sitting there that I haven't even read. I don't even know some of the characters that have been introduced. :P I hope it gets better and gets me interested again.

But I do have the entire series and multiple copies of the first 10 issues in case the usual suspects decide to chime in and say I'm not a true fan of the comic.

CarmenElectra.gif

:applause:

I really miss the girl-with-exploding-bottle-of-Sprite-in-her-mouth .gif. That one was dirty and awesome all at the same time.